Quantcast

Pimp M6 build with interesting Cane Creek bits...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
SRAM > Shimano, but other than that its a mint build.
Unless you have ridden the new Saint components that is pretty much useless information.

I was happy about my switch to Sram a couple of years ago but the new Saint group looks really interesting.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
super dope build, the pedals looks sick i want a pair. the KMC x9sl chain that they are running on the bike is amazing. i have one on my DH bike and i seriously couldnt believe how good it shifts gears. its redic. lite too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Generally I'd agree with this, but the first gen Saint cranks and brakes are pretty dope. I have 2 sets of each and have never had a problem or a complaint.

Shifter / derailler wise there's no comparison though. SRAM takes this hands down*.

*I have not had any experience with the new shadow stuff from Shimano. It looks cool and they made some good modifications from their normal stuff, but its not enticing enough to give me a burning desire to try it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Have your tried the new Shimano or are you talking out of your a$$?:bonk:

Brand allegiance is lame, support your statement or shut up.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
me and my X0 shifters are tight. I am not going to buy shimano ****ters for a while. Need to try them out on a few bikes first.

I am a ****mano hater but I do like those new saint cranks. Shimano was never really off track in the crank dept.

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Generally I'd agree with this, but the first gen Saint cranks and brakes are pretty dope. I have 2 sets of each and have never had a problem or a complaint.

Shifter / derailler wise there's no comparison though. SRAM takes this hands down*.

*I have not had any experience with the new shadow stuff from Shimano. It looks cool and they made some good modifications from their normal stuff, but its not enticing enough to give me a burning desire to try it.
I have Saint cranks and they are great. I am talking about the derailler and shifters, although I have used both Juicy carbons and Saint brakes, and I like the Juicy's more.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Shifter / derailler wise there's no comparison though. SRAM takes this hands down.
All the high end stuff is really good right now, and I give SRAM lots of credit for lighting a fire under Shimano's butt to start making better products, offer more options, more compatibility, more adjustability, etc. From experience I personally think the high end SRAM stuff is significantly more fragile than shimano - particularly rear derailleurs and cassettes. An XO derailleur can't take a minor hit without the parallelogram getting crushed into uselessness, and I had never BENT a cassette cog by pedaling hard until I got one of those fancy SRAM cassettes with the red spider.

So, basically I'm saying thank you SRAM for making my favorite component maker come around.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
A trip to northstar, a trip to mammoth, dozens of shuttle runs, 3 or so race tires, 2 race entrance fees. It's a lot of things. Oh wait, I forgot, its a fashion runway, not a downhill trail.....

That stuff is just gayness, and you'd better be the best guy on the hill with a bike like that.
im fairly confident jason could beat 95 percent of the people on ridemonkey down the hill

and to all the people bitching about the matching and money issue, lets not forget he runs a website, a website reviewing part for the industry, im sure companies want there stuff looking good, as does jason with his builds.

if you can get these sort of things done for you as luxury why not?

its not like its comming out of his pockets rather than sicklines itself

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im fairly confident jason could beat 95 percent of the people on ridemonkey down the hill

and to all the people bitching about the matching and money issue, lets not forget he runs a website, a website reviewing part for the industry, im sure companies want there stuff looking good, as does jason with his builds.

its not like its comming out of his pockets rather than sicklines itself
exactly. i dont remember the article saying its a budget minded build. if you got the coin, why not?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
you're a fvcking tard if you honestly believe what you just wrote. I've ridden on flat bars before, and they're actually pretty dope because it gives just that little bit extra of a lower front end. Not everyone needs riser bars, asshat.

And its nowhere near as bad as the morons I've seen running riser bars upside down to get an even lower front end.
Tomac likes them low.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
that m6 build looks realy mint,those green i9 hubs with those green/black spokes are realy pimp.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
This probably belongs in another thread but....

I switched do a SRAM X9 shifter, der. combo last summer after getting sick of the weak return spring in Shimano der's leading to bad shifting (unless you change housing and cables every month) I was impressed with the SRAM drivetrain's ability to stay in tune for a long time, even with gummed up cables. The ability to upshift while braking is worth noting too. I was, however, disappointed with durability. The X9 der is a one hit wonder, and due to the width of the der, an open target to rocks.

I recently switched to a Shimano XT Shadow (from a worn out XT) on my trailbike. The slim profile seems to keep it out of harms way and the return spring is much stronger than previous der's from the big S. Shifting has been solid, not quite the "pop" of the SRAM but still good. The new bi-directional trigger on the latest rapidfire's allows shifting while braking as well. I haven't tried the latest Saint der/shifter, but the reports I've read so far indicate that the return spring is even stronger. With that and beefed up construction it looks like shifting precision and durability may have a new benchmark.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All the high end stuff is really good right now, and I give SRAM lots of credit for lighting a fire under Shimano's butt to start making better products, offer more options, more compatibility, more adjustability, etc. From experience I personally think the high end SRAM stuff is significantly more fragile than shimano - particularly rear derailleurs and cassettes. An XO derailleur can't take a minor hit without the parallelogram getting crushed into uselessness, and I had never BENT a cassette cog by pedaling hard until I got one of those fancy SRAM cassettes with the red spider.

So, basically I'm saying thank you SRAM for making my favorite component maker come around.
Well, everyone has their favorites, and yes there are good points and bad points with each, but I don't think it's really arguable what shimano has done for the sport by investing and offering more than just "one line" of products in terms of usage. Shimano has done Hone, Saint, and now SLX to try and offer components that are better suited to a particular type of riding, as well as make XTR a little more XC/lightweight specific than it was prior. Sram has "kind of" or "almost" done this with Truvativ, but the Sram components (derailers, shifters, etc) have not, so you don't really have a choice. There will always be those people that go with the XTR/XO stuff no matter what, even it something is far better suited to their type of riding, but for most of us more choices is great, and this is one area where Sram isn't really pulling their weight IMO.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Sram is a winner in my book for Gripshift.
shimano is a looser for not.
Agreed.

On the bar height issue, why don't people just ride 180mm forks or a 40 and drop the travel to 7.5" if they want thier front end so low, lowers the BB, too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On the bar height issue, why don't people just ride 180mm forks or a 40 and drop the travel to 7.5" if they want thier front end so low, lowers the BB, too.
Heaven forbid there might be some riders out there who don't want to lose 1/2" of travel, drop the BB of an already low geometry, or both. I mean seriously, who would possibly want other options :rolleyes::clue:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Agreed.

Head angle is more critical than any of those..

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Agreed.

and steepens you head angle...which is the opposite of what the vast majority of DH racers are trying to do.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Then its fine to have all that I suppose. I want a pink anno bike, but I'm SURE as fvck not getting one till i podium some hotshot race ( probably never :'( ).

Cause these super expensive one-off parts drive up the cost of everything else for people who don't care. While its still their right and business, I'll harass them as much as possible, and question their sexuality to curtail this behavior so we are left with cheaper, strictly functional parts.

P.S. Zark: ride next week?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Shouldn't you be complaining on another forum about how you had to walk to school both ways uphill, and those damn kids skateboarding on the sidewalk or something?

This is now one of the dumbest threads ever.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Can we see some videos of him? Better yet can that be a compulsory part of these bike reviews, like the weights section? :biggrin:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cause these super expensive one-off parts drive up the cost of everything else for people who don't care.
Please explain how one person getting custom parts for a test bike drives up MSRP of regular retail bike products (aka the mass produced, production stuff) for Joe Shmoe mountain biker. Seriously. The world would LOVE to know.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
you're a fvcking tard if you honestly believe what you just wrote. I've ridden on flat bars before, and they're actually pretty dope because it gives just that little bit extra of a lower front end. Not everyone needs riser bars, asshat.
good lord cumbucket, chill out for a minute. i'm the tard, right. what is your post count again? how much time do you spend on here? that's what i thought. get a fvcking life.

and you can keep your DOPE flat bars.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
good lord cumbucket, chill out for a minute. i'm the tard, right. what is your post count again? how much time do you spend on here? that's what i thought. get a fvcking life.

and you can keep your DOPE flat bars.
I've got a lot of free time at work. Good luck getting a job after graduating from WVU :rolleyes:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
I've got a lot of free time at work. Good luck getting a job after graduating from WVU :rolleyes:
ha, gotta love them thar stereotypes!

it's a nice benefit of having the natural resources/forestry field as being one of the closest things to "automatic guaranteed" job placement in both government, industry and private sectors right out of any bachelors program; hell i could have gotten a job paying 50K a year with room to move up with the associates degree i've got, so happily i won't really need to worry about finding a job. but thanks for the career advice desk jockey. i'll be sure to keep you updated on how working outside every day is.
(if you say how working in the weather 40+ hours a week would 'suck' or something like that, there's no point to continue this.)

"GIT R DUNNNN"

EDIT:
AHHHH HHAAA!!!! Sam got owned! :rofl: :rofl:
i stand corrected; what's YOUR post count?! :busted:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ha, gotta love them thar stereotypes!

it's a nice benefit of having the natural resources/forestry field as being one of the closest things to "automatic guaranteed" job placement in both government, industry and private sectors right out of any bachelors program; hell i could have gotten a job paying 50K a year with room to move up with the associates degree i've got, so happily i won't really need to worry about finding a job. but thanks for the career advice desk jockey. i'll be sure to keep you updated on how working outside every day is.
(if you say how working in the weather 40+ hours a week would 'suck' or something like that, there's no point to continue this.)

"GIT R DUNNNN"

EDIT:

i stand corrected; what's YOUR post count?! :busted:
This "stereotype" you refer to? What is it? I went to high school right outside of Pittsburgh, not far from WVU. I know that school's reputation very well. Of the 30 some odd friends of mine who went to high school with me and went on to college at WVU, maybe half a dozen of them have been able to find gainful employment in the field they have a degree in. (That's right around 20% FYI ). Not exactly a good track record if you ask me.

And you're right, I couldn't say how it would "suck" to work outside 40+ hours a week. I would say its pretty dope, just like flat handlebars :biggrin:

For the record - 50 grand a year? big whoop.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
This "stereotype" you refer to? What is it? I went to high school right outside of Pittsburgh, not far from WVU. I know that school's reputation very well. Of the 30 some odd friends of mine who went to high school with me and went on to college at WVU, maybe half a dozen of them have been able to find gainful employment in the field they have a degree in. (That's right around 20% FYI ). Not exactly a good track record if you ask me.

And you're right, I couldn't say how it would "suck" to work outside 40+ hours a week. I would say its pretty dope, just like flat handlebars :biggrin:

For the record - 50 grand a year? big whoop.
first off, let me apologize to you for being from anywhere remotely close to Pittsburgh. i'm sure that was awful, seeing as how Pitt is a worse school than WVU.

where exactly did you go to college? (i'm sure it's just lightyears ahead of a D1 school like WVU)
are you friends slackers? and are they from Pittsburgh? 'nuff said. what did they major in? let me guess; business? maybe they should have not fVcked around in college, chosen a more logical/demanding career field and applied themselves in a better way, and they could have gotten an awesome desk jockey job just like you did! congrats bud! :poster_oops:

not sure where you live, (Retardo Beach?) but 50 grand IS a big whoop to people who live in places with a reasonable cost of living (i.e., not california). i have no urge whatsoever to live in CA, and will probably end up living in the country somewhere, so 50 grand should do just fine; especially considering i could have made that with a 2 year degree.

edit: i love the tag "wva is for sisterlovers" on this thread. glad to say i've never felt any feelings besides annoyance with my sister or any cousins for that matter. being from VA originally, i shouldn't have to worry about that anyway.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
where exactly did you go to college? (i'm sure it's just lightyears ahead of a D1 school like WVU)
are you friends slackers? and are they from Pittsburgh? 'nuff said. what did they major in? let me guess; business? maybe they should have not fVcked around in college, chosen a more logical/demanding career field and applied themselves in a better way, and they could have gotten an awesome desk jockey job just like you did! congrats bud! :poster_oops:

not sure where you live, (Retardo Beach?) but 50 grand IS a big whoop to people who live in places with a reasonable cost of living (i.e., not california). i have no urge whatsoever to live in CA, and will probably end up living in the country somewhere, so 50 grand should do just fine; especially considering i could have made that with a 2 year degree.

edit: i love the tag "wva is for sisterlovers" on this thread. glad to say i've never felt any feelings besides annoyance with my sister or any cousins for that matter. being from VA originally, i shouldn't have to worry about that anyway.
I went to Rochester Institute of Technology (more info can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_Institute_of_Technology - there are actually a lot more PhD programs than the wiki lists though), which is well on its way to being one of the top research schools in the country. My degree is in packaging engineering, so I can work in pretty much an industry (food, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, consumer products, automotive, military, transport) I want. I was in pharmaceutical for a while, but currently I'm working at the world's largest toy company (Mattel) designing toy packaging. For the record I've only been spending so much time at my desk lately because I'm going to be changing jobs soon and I'm pretty much done here.

No, my friends who went to WVU weren't slackers. At least half of them were at the top of the class and went their for things like music and engineering. Only a handful were business. That's great that WVU is a D1 school. All that really means is you have a very large student body and some great sports teams. How does that relate to education? Oh wait. It doesn't.

yea 50 grand would be a lot of money in west virginia. or montana. or idaho. or nebraska. I make a lot more than 50 grand here, and in terms of the packaging industry as a whole, I'm not making a lot. I'm looking at getting back into consumer products and pharmaceuticals because its gonna be a lot more money. Considering I'm 24, a year and a half out of college, and living 500 feet from the beach in South California I guess I'm doing alright for myself.

FWIW i didn't edit any of the tags on this thread, moron.

And all this because you fail to see why some people would want to run flat bars. You were probably the same moron in 1995 that thought suspension and disc brakes were just fads.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
And all this because you fail to see why some people would want to run flat bars. You were probably the same moron in 1995 that thought suspension and disc brakes were just fads.
hah, seeing as how i'm only 22, i was just getting into riding in 1995 and thought those two aspects of bikes were the tits. i'd be bashing the people who decried discs and suspension as much as the next guy. i have nothing against flat bars or people who run them, just don't appeal to me. who knows, maybe one day i'll hit my head and decide to give 'em a try. for now i'll stick to my direct mount stem.

secondly, i didn't know you had such an extensive schooling background, touche. that's highly respectable and more so than WVU in more ways than i want to admit. i wasn't trying to make any kind of point here, just ruffling feathers, exactly like your "Push Button..." title. i post here for the hell of it and to have a good laugh. seems i have succeeded once again. no hard feelings. after living at Snowshoe for a year and then transferring here, i've developed a love for the Mountain State and get disappointed at the stereotypes thrown around. you must know what school pride is like. can't let someone get away scott-free for talking trash, that's all.

never said you edited any tags, just said i found them humorous.

EDIT: enough derailment, my apologies. RIDICULOUS bike regardless of the shape of handlebars it has on it.

Last edited:

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
this is my ss also have a m6 and tazer that are dine the same with red ano links and bits will post tomarrow. And for a cost a bath of ano is only 80-100 dollars and if you did it all at once thats not that much monkey. Who cares if its different it not your bike its someone elses