Quantcast

Pimp M6 build with interesting Cane Creek bits...

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
those bars look stupid.

nice bike for sure but i've been down the anodize-bits-galore road before and it just gets old quick. hubs & headset are fine but when it comes to matching bar ends + levers + bearing cups + brake adapters + pivot links + this + that ... its just ghey.

Sold my racelink last year. The M6 is my next frame.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Another satisfied custom boxxer decal customer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love seeing my work on such sick builds especially the black with gold lettering.
SICK BIKE!

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
nice bike for sure but i've been down the anodize-bits-galore road before and it just gets old quick. hubs & headset are fine but when it comes to matching bar ends + levers + bearing cups + brake adapters + pivot links + this + that ... its just ghey.
Agreed - it's just a bike after all! All the $$ if cost to get that done - I would rather spend it on a trip or backup parts. But then again - this guy at sickolines probably get most of them for free.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
those bars look stupid.

Sold my racelink last year. The M6 is my next frame.
I love those Saint bits! :) I like the look of the Ano bits, but whats the point? Is this guy a Factory Pro rider? Meaning, Is he gonna ride it a few times and then get a new one. Seems to me that all that money put into ANO and for what really? Is he actually gonna ride it like DH bike should be? You ALL know that DH bikes take a beating when you ride them alot, Flying Rocks, Dirt, Mud, Crashes, Shuttling, Lifts, etc. Is every little thing is gonna leave marks and scratch up the ano and Black frame along with every other part on the bike? Chances are YES. While it will start out looking sweet, in a few short months it may not look so good anymore. Anyhow, I still give the Bike an A-. It's a sick build, minus the bars. The bars are rediculous. The wheels are where improvements could be made IMO.

EDIT:
Orfen said:
But then again - this guy at sicklines probably get most of them for free.
I guess that makes my point moot. :D

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Knocking the anodizing is such a stupid comment to make, particularly on the arguement that its just going to get scratched later.

Its a 10k DH bike FFS. Why not go the extra bit and make it as visually appealing as you want? Thats part of the fun.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Knocking the anodizing is such a stupid comment to make, particularly on the arguement that its just going to get scratched later.

Its a 10k DH bike FFS. Why not go the extra bit and make it as visually appealing as you want? Thats part of the fun.

I guess if you have the $$ to throw away. Go ahead and do it. To each his own.
I was just trying to make the point that it seemed like a waste of money.
Maybe it's just me. :lighten:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
There is one thing if you can't ride fast,You have go to at least look good.
Did no one ever tell you that????:lighten::biggrin:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Matching ano parts was sweet in the 90's! I had blue ano bars, hubs, seat post binder bolt, brake boosters, brake bolts, crank bolts, chain tensioner, and other parts back in the day.
I wanted to do it to my DH bike but finding party is a lot harder now days.

What is a hydro spring perch?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I guess if you have the $$ to throw away. Go ahead and do it. To each his own.
I was just trying to make the point that it seemed like a waste of money.
Maybe it's just me. :lighten:

Perhaps, but, how much do you think it really cost? 100 bucks maybe? And at a bike at that price, whats an extra hundred bucks?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Perhaps, but, how much do you think it really cost? 100 bucks maybe? And at a bike at that price, whats an extra hundred bucks?
A trip to northstar, a trip to mammoth, dozens of shuttle runs, 3 or so race tires, 2 race entrance fees. It's a lot of things. Oh wait, I forgot, its a fashion runway, not a downhill trail.....

That stuff is just gayness, and you'd better be the best guy on the hill with a bike like that.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
all i gotta say is please show me the person who thought flat handlebars are appealing cosmetically and functionally; i've got a size 12 foot that needs to make contact with his small, shriveled, female nutsack. what a way to ruin that(/any) beautiful bike. people and their fads, tsk tsk.
kthx.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
all i gotta say is please show me the person who thought flat handlebars are appealing cosmetically and functionally; i've got a size 12 foot that needs to make contact with his small, shriveled, female nutsack. what a way to ruin that(/any) beautiful bike. people and their fads, tsk tsk.
kthx.
you're a fvcking tard if you honestly believe what you just wrote. I've ridden on flat bars before, and they're actually pretty dope because it gives just that little bit extra of a lower front end. Not everyone needs riser bars, asshat.

And its nowhere near as bad as the morons I've seen running riser bars upside down to get an even lower front end.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I don't mind coordinated ano "bling" but green and black just don't look that hot. I'd have gone gold ano crazy since the Saint gouppo already has a bunch of gold accents.

Lots of thing I'd do differently if it were my M6, but I'll have my chance ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
This is a screwy thread. In case you haven't ever noticed the general theme of Sickline content, they tend to try to build up works style bikes for people to drool over. Jason likes to ride. I saw his custom decked out Morewood at the US Open and he enjoys bikes & parts a ton. He's just showing everyone what is possible in a bike build. I like the "let's build up a dream bike & weigh that sucker then ride it" concept. Their site is there for informational purposes.

So what if he ano's it? It's his. You gonna tell me I can't get a tattoo b/c it won't make me faster and only top pros have tattoos? :crazy:

Now, lets all get back to the topic at hand. What the heck is a hydraulic spring collar? :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Does anyone ever do ANYTHING other than FVCKING WHINGE on this forum. Jesus TITTY-FVCKING christ people!

Nice build. Let's all go and ride our bikes, spactards.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What is a hydro spring perch?
I had the same question and found a bit of info through google, kinda interesting but I have to wonder if it's needed for bikes.

This is probably Hyperco marketing stuff:

In racing, tire grip and low wear rate, are critical for maximum performance. Unfortunately, one of the common characteristics of coil springs is that they do not naturally distribute their load evenly around the face of their end coils thus generating a lateral load. The lateral force creates a bending load in the shock absorber, significantly increasing its friction; the result is lower tire grip and increased wear. The Hyperco/ICP Hydraulic Load Centering Spring Perches substantially improve performance by allowing the spring forces to remain centered on the shock. By precise shaping of the sealing wall of both the perch and cylinder body, the perch can freely tilt as needed to evenly distribute the load of the spring. The result, a reduction of bending load on the shock absorber of up to 96% along with an enhancement in mechanical grip at the tire.

Racing teams in Formula One, CART, IRL, and Trans Am, along with Formula Atlantic, Midgets, Dirt & Pavement Late Models, Motorcycles...etc., benefit from the winning performance of the Hyperco/ICP Hydraulic Load-Centering Spring Perch components.

Advantages:

* Enhanced Mechanical Grip
* Reduced Side Force & Friction
* Reduced Wear & Load on Shock Absorber Seals
* Available for Popular Applications

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I actually understood that definition. Good to know. In an application like an MTB, I'd think it might help since there is tremendous force on a relatively small shock with tiny seals & room for wear. Every little bit helps I suppose....but in that case, shouldn't there be one on both ends of the coil?

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
I think a hydraulic perch on something like a mountain bike is a waste. Yeah it's trick, but I imagine it's usefulness is negligible.

On serious race cars where you use flexures instead of rod ends, and set the car up on a surface plate, I see the benefit. You're fighting for absolute repeatability lap after lap, trying to pick up a few hundredths of a second, with data streams coming off the car for every parameter imaginable, it's easy to see how something like a hydraulic perch can provide consistency in data and repeatable scenarios.

On a downhill bike with laughable manufacturing tolerances, off the shelf dampers, and going down a course with several different lines, a hydraulic perch isn't going to make a shred of difference...IMO.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think a hydraulic perch on something like a mountain bike is a waste. Yeah it's trick, but I imagine it's usefulness is negligible.

On serious race cars where you use flexures instead of rod ends, and set the car up on a surface plate, I see the benefit. You're fighting for absolute repeatability lap after lap, trying to pick up a few hundredths of a second, with data streams coming off the car for every parameter imaginable, it's easy to see how something like a hydraulic perch can provide consistency in data and repeatable scenarios.

On a downhill bike with laughable manufacturing tolerances, off the shelf dampers, and going down a course with several different lines, a hydraulic perch isn't going to make a shred of difference...IMO.
very true.
with race cars you have a tremendous amount of down force for the full length of the race.
standard collars have not been a issue on mountain biking or this type of product would have come into the mtb market years ago.
i guess it looks "cool", but hell if they didnt point that out, i would have thought it was a thicker collar.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
you're a fvcking tard if you honestly believe what you just wrote. I've ridden on flat bars before, and they're actually pretty dope because it gives just that little bit extra of a lower front end. Not everyone needs riser bars, asshat.
agreed. i've got a bike with a similarly lowrideresque bb height as the m6, and to get a 'normal' bar to pedal height, i use a flat chromag (which feels just right). on my other bike with a 3/4" higher bb, i've got a 3/4" riser for a similar cockpit. makes sense.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I actually understood that definition. Good to know. In an application like an MTB, I'd think it might help since there is tremendous force on a relatively small shock with tiny seals & room for wear. Every little bit helps I suppose....but in that case, shouldn't there be one on both ends of the coil?

Can't find it right now but I saw something before that said if your shock is under 10" you only need one perch. I also found this:

These precision devices allow the spring end coils to tilt up to 4 degrees as the spring is compressed, reducing the bending loads on your shocks by as much as 96%. This reduction in side force and friction allows more force and energy to be directed to the car's mechanical grip while reducing wear on your shocks. This isn't just theory. Hydraulic perches have proven themselves on the track with rave reviews and reduced lap times. Having a hydraulic perch at one end of the spring will reduce shock bending loads significantly; however, hydraulic perches at both ends of the spring will provide optimum performance.

Just to be clear, I don't really know anything about these - I'm just sifting through google results.

I can see some theoretical benefits but I am not sure it would be worth the extra weight and added complexity. My experience is that current shocks are pretty reliable so side loading doesn't seem to be a huge issue, especially on linkage bikes. Maybe for a non-linkage single pivot or something?