Quantcast

Pimp My Rack

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unfortunately this is not a thread about GFF financed enhancements. Having a Thule T2 and a hatchback I have to drop the rack whenever accessing the back of my car. This requires two hands or a reach around and a transfer of road grime onto the occasional clean shirt. I have been thinking about making my rack a little more ergonomic for a few months and finally found a little motivation today. In typical style it was quickly executed with whatever items were at hand and poorly thought out. Consider it a prototype.

Drill a few holes through the end cap of the rack. Loop a cable around the latch handle and crimp into place. Crimpin' ain't easy. I normally would use a vice to crimp such cables but it proved difficult to get my car into the basement, used a sturdy C-clamp instead.

l can now easily raise or lower the rack by grabbing the cable and pulling in the proper direction. If I had thought it out before hand I would have used some small diameter hose to use as a handle, bare wire is not user friendly. Electrical tape wrapped cable is user friendly but ghetto as ****.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Someone from Thule must browse the Monkey. Thule T2 Pro rack now has a similar if not more elegant style handle.