Quantcast

Pimping for legal mountain biking trails in Killington, VT

Need to get a bunch of positive comments for this project proposal.

Deadline for comments is August 15th. Holly is solidly on our side. Let's give her the support needed to make this work.

Killington Bike Trails #44208
Commenting on This Project
Comments, including anonymous comments, will be accepted at any time. However, comments posted after the close of a designated comment period may not be able to be given full consideration. Anonymous comments and comments submitted after the close of the final designated comment period will not provide the commenter standing for administrative review.

The Forest Service values public participation. Communications from the public regarding this project, including commenter’s names and contact information, will become part of the public record.

Submitting Comments
If you wish to submit a comment, please send it to:

Holly Knox
Rochester Ranger District
99 Ranger Road , Rochester, VT, 05767
hknox@fs.fed.us

In your comments, please include the following information:
- Name, address, and telephone number or email address.
- The project you are commenting on: Killington Bike Trails Additions Project.
- Site specific comments about the proposal along with supporting information and rationale you believe will help identify issues that need to be addressed.
- Concerns about environmental effects associated with the project.

Submit your written comments in c/o Holly Knox using any of the following methods:

Mail (Verbal comments can also be given in person):
USDA Forest Service - Rochester District
99 Ranger Road
Rochester VT 05767

Email:
comments-eastern-green-mt-finger-lakes-rochester@fs.fed.us

Phone:
802-767-4261 x 530

FAX:
802-767-4777

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Killington is such a great place for downhilling. It would be awesome to see loads of xc trails to go with it.

From what we've heard Killington is trying to become the Whister of the East and a major mountain biking destination. They already have the local infrastructure in place with lots of hotels, restaurants, and shops.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So is Killington mountain looking to build these, and is seeking approval, or is the forestry service, or what? I'm all for more trails, but not sure what we're working toward.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Here's an article from the Vermont Standard that describes the project more:
http://www.thevermontstandard.com/2014/05/town-seeks-grants-for-bike-trails/

Town Seeks Grants For Bike Trails
MAY 27, 2014
in ARCHIVE,KILLINGTON,NEWS
By George Calver, Standard Correspondent
KILLINGTON — Always on the lookout for ways to boost tourism and the local economy, the Killington Selectboard voted earlier last month to support applications for grants to construct a mountain bike trail system in town.

Town Manager Seth Webb said that the two-phase project could be largely grant funded if approved. The town sent applications to the U.S. Forest Service, the Vermont Agency of Transportation, the Vermont Department of Forests, and the Vermont Mountain Bike Association for about $400,000 in grants.

The proposal envisions about 15 miles of family- friendly trails as part of a larger town-wide initiative to link the Killington Resort mountain biking trails with the greater Killington community, primarily using Green Mountain National Forest land.

“Our Town Plan specifically cites the creation of a multi-use trail system as a way to provide additional amenities for tourists and residents,” Webb said.

Killington would be trying to emulate East Burke’s project in the Northeast Kingdom around Burke Mountain — a recently completed and highly successful initiative that has boosted the community’s nonskiing season, attracting more than 50,000 visitors and numerous races and biking festivities.

Burke’s system, known as the Kingdom Trails, encompasses about 100 miles through the surrounding hills of wooded and pastoral settings with access in and through the ski hill area as well. The Burke Mountain trails can also be reached by pedal power, or more easily for a downhill run, by way of the Sherburne Express High Speed Quad.

Closer to home, the town of West Windsor has for several years supported and funded a 30-mile long mountain biking and recreational trail network in its Town Forest which links various trails on Ascutney Mountain Resort land and over several private properties.

Plans are also in the works to add a 3.2-mile loop in Ascutney State Park this year.

The Ascutney network, managed and maintained by the nonprofit Sports Trails of the Ascutney Basin, has not been nearly as successful as Burke’s. Nonetheless, it has been seen as an important contributor to local tourism and economy ever since the ski hill closed.

STAB will be hosting the Vermont Mountain Biking Festival from July 11-13 for the second year in a row.

Currently, Killington Resort offers 45 miles of trails where bikers can reach the mountain top either by the K-1 Express Gondola — or by pedal power to gain the 4,241-foot summit and bike over trails, ranging from classic cross-country single track to what the resort describes as “ challenging big–bike downhill and freeriding trails.”

For now, town officials will have to wait to see the results of the U.S. Forest Service’s evaluation of the town’s proposal — an evaluation that will include analyses of the biological, botanical, ecological and archeological resources as part of field reviews this summer. But why more trails when we seem to be surrounded by a plethora of mountain biking venues? According to a recent survey done on behalf of the international Mountain Bike Association, mountain bike sales in the United States are climbing fast — a 16 percent increase from July 2012 to July 2013 and an increase of 11 percent the previous year, but more importantly, according to IMBA Executive Director Mike Van Abel, there is a correlation between the quality and accessibility of trails and growth.

“We know that people ride more often when they have more inspiring trails to ride. The closer these trails are to their homes, the more they will get out on their bikes, and the more they will spend,” Van Able wrote in a recent press release.

Last edited:

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Here's the e-mail I sent to them. Anyone is welcome to cut & paste and tailor to their own devices:

To whom it may concern:

It has recently come to my attention that the town of Killington would like to propose the construction of 15 miles of trail system. While I'm not a resident of the area, I would still like to send in my comments in support of the project as a frequent visitor to the area. Bicycling broadens the recreational offerings and gets Americans out of their cars and into the natural world. It connects people of all ages with the natural environment and is a fun, low-impact activity. Mountain bikers are prolific volunteers--conducting nearly one million hours of trail work on public lands annually.

An article in the Vermont Standard dated May 29th, 2014 titled "Town Seeks Grants for Bike Trails" states that Killington is attempting to mirror the trail system up in East Burke, VT, another area of Vermont to which a large group of friends and I have traveled to a couple times per year for the past ten years to go mountain biking. This past summer, we decided to base our gathering in Rochester, VT instead, in what we hope will be a new location for our yearly get togethers. The news of new trails potentially being built in the area is wonderful news to us.

The difference between East Burke and Killington is that Killington already has so much infrastructure in place--lodging, eating areas, parking, etc.--that it is my opinion that the project would become even more successful than the Kingdom Trails, and would bring in a hefty income to the area during the otherwise sleepy summer months. I imagine there is a great deal of concern from local residents regarding traffic, environmental damage, and crowds of people, but with the correct planning, and construction of trails and adequate parking areas, the effects can be dispersed, and all of this can be managed successfully. If you're not already, I urge you to seek guidance and participation from the local Vermont Mountain Biking Association (VMBA) chapters, RASTA - Rochester Area Sports Trail Alliance and STAB - Sport Trails of the Ascutney Basin, as well as VMBA the state organization, during the planning, construction, and maintenance of the trails. Both of these organizations have already built and maintain wonderful networks of mountain bike trails in the area.

If you would like any further information from me or have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I am happy to help in whatever way I can.