Quantcast

ping pong?.....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm actually not that bad, i've played off and on, even won a small tournament at a pals party years back, but i haven't played for years. Wells anyways i went to a spin class at my local YMCA and wound up leading the session, because the ride leader didn't show, but that's an even more boring story... Well anyways after the spin session a group of six people came in bustin out some tables...
i found it interesting a couple of "Alpha Pongers" were rushing me to clean up my bike mat and gear so they could get their match started. Since it was my first ride leader session i ran into their "pong" time.
i was honestly inquisitive since i really like to play, just as i like to shoot pool, but i hate bars, smoke, beer all that... no real pool halls in Seattle anymore since 211 burned down.*pause shed tear*. Anyways i asked if i could play with the guys and one of the "Alpha Pongers" made it clear that i needed a paddle. Haha i was running into a small roadblock. Anyways an older gentleman came to me and started to chat about my play in what i percieved to be a quick initiation test, possibly to see if i had any game at all. After a quick lesson on how impressed i was supposed to be about the "Alpha Pongers" past tournamant achievements and prior nationally rated foes they competed against. i of course was in..... how should i say.... complete and utter awe...... about how long i was able to keep myself from laughing about the absurdity of it all.
Anyways after a short while i was able to fenaggle a paddle from this nice lady and play my new mentor a quick warm up session, so he could get a look at my swing. Well of course i sucked, but evidently not enough that i wasn't encouraged to not buy a "real" paddle and come back for some play.
So starts my venture into Table Tennis! Maybe i'll stick with it and share my adventures if it's actually get's any funnier i'll be sure to report back. Maybe someday i too will be an "Alpha Ponger".

google for cheap good paddle off internet.........

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I Love Ping Pong! I good family fun!

My exhusband's family played the most competive pong games I have ever seen. Usually someone would end up crying by the end of the event :(

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ping Pong rocks.... Me and a buddy would have heated exchanges in his garage, when we couldnt play regular tennis (due to rain usually).

Rock on Forrest.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
it's all about the badminton. forget this "table tennis" business

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I used to be pretty decent at pingpong. My dad used to force me to play :p

When I was in the Navy my ship got stranded on Midway because of engine trouble, and we had to stay there for a few days while they airlifted parts to us. There was only one bar on the island, so officers and enlisted were forced to party down in the same vicinity. There was a pingpong table there and it was pretty much the only thing to do, so a basic "play till you lose" style tournament formed. I played for like 3 hours and never lost, eventually I got sick of playing and gave up my end of the table. All those years of torture by my dad paid off big time :D

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Echo said:
There was a pingpong table there and it was pretty much the only thing to do, so a basic "play till you lose" style tournament formed. I played for like 3 hours and never lost, eventually I got sick of playing and gave up my end of the table. All those years of torture by my dad paid off big time :D

hahhahaha... Very similar incident happened to me, only it was my first year at my company's summer picinic. All the big wigs (including many of the VERY type-A personality sales managers) were talking about how long they stayed on the winner's side of the table on previous years. I stayed there all day, until I let someone's 10 year old kid beat me, cause I was bored.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I hate that game.

dink, donk, dink, donk, dink, dink, donkDinkDonkDinkDinkDonk!

*chases ball across the room......

*steps on and crushes last and only ball...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
pnj said:
I hate that game.

*steps on and crushes last and only ball...
That was awesome! HAHAHAHA!

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Last Saturday I was in a Beer Pong Tournament, my company vs 20 other companies. 80 teams total. It was a lot of fun.

It went from 6pm until 3am. The whole bar was packed..

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Is it strange I know a guy called Skooks Pong.......in the greater Seattle area?

:D

Skookum making a post about ping pong.....just caught me off gaurd.

sorry. :sneaky: Happy B-day Skookum

btw- Skooks Pong was of the pongs that built the C-dale futre bike that never made it to production and the Majic Coda crank designer.....