Quantcast

Pinging or knocking heard from bottom bracket

kovacsa

Chimp
Jun 20, 2019
Hey All, Without taking the bike apart, I was hoping to figure out what a knocking or pinging sound is due to. It seems like it's coming from the bottom bracket. It happens at the same point in my peddle cycle (although that point has changed over time). I suspect something is loose like a ball bearing or something is cracked.. It only happens when I'm peddling and there is load on the chain. Any ideas? Thanks!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Hey All, Without taking the bike apart, I was hoping to figure out what a knocking or pinging sound is due to. It seems like it's coming from the bottom bracket. It happens at the same point in my peddle cycle (although that point has changed over time). I suspect something is loose like a ball bearing or something is cracked.. It only happens when I'm peddling and there is load on the chain. Any ideas? Thanks!
pedals?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Threaded or pressed in BB? Check your chainring bolts or just spray things down with a penetrating oil to see if goes away.

Also try higher octane.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pretty sure that's not it, it was a metallic sound.
The reason we are giving you somewhat of a hard time is you can't diagnose stuff like this over the internet. You have to take it apart. What any one of us would do is take it out, clean off the spindle and interface, remove the BB, pop out and inspect the bearings, try to turn by hand. Most likely one side is shot, but sometimes repacking with grease can extend the life a bit. Usually good to order new bearings at this time.