Quantcast

pinos ~ who's been? who wants to go?

Dec 20, 2005
Its an awesome trail, ride up the single track all the way to the ski hut thingy at the top and then rip back down as fast as you can! its one of the better trails over this way if you can be bothered with driving up the grapevine etc, but such a good trail! we did it last year just before christmas and there was snow on the ground when we got up there!!!
so good

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I rode it last weekend. Great bank turns don't really need brakes for most of it. Super fun shuttle although way shorter than Wilson and a much longer drive, from West LA in my case.

My advice would be to skip the last 1/3 since it is so off camber and has some pretty good exposure and really isn't that fun.

If you have someone to shuttle you up and down Pinos is awesome. Met some guys from Bako with a truck and trailer and a GF to take them to the top.

Be sure to wear a bell. There were tons of hikers.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
thanks for the input gang.

looks like we will do it in a few weeks (mtnbrider, take note). plans have changed to wilson for this week. some of my boys from the OC are gonna roll up. i wanna ride with them, since i have not seen them in a while.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Whichever bike you prefer. The top 1/3 is steeper, rutted and has lots of fist-sized rocks but smooths out after the first road crossing. The middle 1/3 is smooth and not very steep but has some rollers you can use to catch air if you keep your speed up (steady light pedalling). The bottom 1/3 isn't quite as steep as the top, but is smooth and very fast and has some ravine exposure and turns that can sneak up on you (have good brakes). There are a few places you wouldn't want to drift off the singletrack.

DEFINITELY use a bear-bell to let the hikers and XC-riders know you're coming.

If you pedal up the singletrack, you may want to exit the trail and ride the pavement from your second road crossing (top of the middle 1/3). Going up the top third is a butt-kicker on a 38 lb bike...but satisfying if you have the guns to do it without pushing much.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
1000-Oaks said:
Whichever bike you prefer. The top 1/3 is steeper, rutted and has lots of fist-sized rocks but smooths out after the first road crossing. The middle 1/3 is smooth and not very steep but has some rollers you can use to catch air if you keep your speed up (steady light pedalling). The bottom 1/3 isn't quite as steep as the top, but is smooth and very fast and has some ravine exposure and turns that can sneak up on you (have good brakes). There are a few places you wouldn't want to drift off the singletrack.

DEFINITELY use a bear-bell to let the hikers and XC-riders know you're coming.

If you pedal up the singletrack, you may want to exit the trail and ride the pavement from your second road crossing (top of the middle 1/3). Going up the top third is a butt-kicker on a 38 lb bike...but satisfying if you have the guns to do it without pushing much.

It sounds like I may have more fun on my HT.

qksl2

Chimp
Apr 4, 2006
Let us know when you are going to do it again. Vegas this weekend but I'd like to do this one too.

Ian