Quantcast

Pipe cutter for steer tube, is one that....

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

Just curious on the pipe cutters for steer tubes. I know there are some smallerish ones out there that say their max cut diameter they can do is 1 1/8th inch. Would something like that work to cut a steer tube (as I don't cut pipes all that often) OR would I want to get the next size up? I could always get a new hacksaw blade and something like the park steer tube guide and do it that way as well but wanted something quick and easy to be able to do it (like the pipe cutter).

Just curious :)

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I used a pipe cutter for years. After some thought and experimenting, I think the park tool/hacksaw is a better method b/c the pipe cutter simply flares the steerer too much for my liking...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I used a pipe cutter for years. After some thought and experimenting, I think the park tool/hacksaw is a better method b/c the pipe cutter simply flares the steerer too much for my liking...
Agreed. I think in that other thread I even defended the pipe cutter method. After doing both a few times, I gotta say that hacksaw is better for steerer tubes or seatposts.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I got a pipe cutter (smallish one), spent an hour messing with it and eventually went to a old stem as a guide and the hacksaw method. Talk about the right thing to do! I couldn't believe how much faster that was, 5 minutes vs. 5 hours with a pipe cutter.

I could see the pipe cutter being OK for seat posts and possibly handlebars. Other than that though it's best to leave that useless thing to cutting copper pipes and such :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got a pipe cutter (smallish one), spent an hour messing with it and eventually went to a old stem as a guide and the hacksaw method. Talk about the right thing to do! I couldn't believe how much faster that was, 5 minutes vs. 5 hours with a pipe cutter.

I could see the pipe cutter being OK for seat posts and possibly handlebars. Other than that though it's best to leave that useless thing to cutting copper pipes and such :)

5 hours? Was this a steel steerer?

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
5 hours? Was this a steel steerer?
It was the steer tube on a Shiver DC. All I know is when I took the hacksaw to it I noticed that it was probably 2/3 of the way though it but at that point I had almost an hour of spinning on that damm thing. I was thinking to myself this is sure taking a long time to make a nice stright cut.

My hacksaw method worked great though as the cut was cleaner than the pipe cutter. I cut just a smidge below the pipe cutter's marks so I got rid of the little bevel it puts on. Used a file to clean everything up and it looks really good for a "hack" job.

comtom1

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
south of boston
The thing with inexpensive tools for this type of job is the quality of the tool and cutting wheel. If you only need to do it once use the hacksaw. But if you were doing this on a regular bases a quality pipe cutterworks faster and with less effort and a gaureenteed straight cut all the time my snap-on pipe cutter has never failed me in any job from a fork to a fuel line on a engine

comtom1

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
south of boston
40. bucks and well worth it like i said if you use it every day buy the best tool for the job if it is a once in a while thing use the trusted hacksaw or buy the craftsman pro series tube/pipe cutter

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
40. bucks and well worth it like i said if you use it every day buy the best tool for the job if it is a once in a while thing use the trusted hacksaw or buy the craftsman pro series tube/pipe cutter
That's the point, it's NOT the best tool for the job. A hacksaw is a better tool. Read the threads that have been linked.

A pipe cutter relies on pressure which can deform the tube you're cutting. Yes, it might not deform it much. Maybe not at all if you're very patient. But the best tool for the job is a hacksaw with a guide. Guaranteed straight cut every time and no deformation of the tube.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, anyone who thinks a pipe cutter is a great tool has never tried cutting a reinforced steel steerer, like a DJ fork.

I tried once for fun and it ate 2 roller blades before I got the hacksaw. The pipe cutter did make a nice groove for the hacksaw.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
btw, anyone who thinks a pipe cutter is a great tool has never tried cutting a reinforced steel steerer, like a DJ fork.

I tried once for fun and it ate 2 roller blades before I got the hacksaw. The pipe cutter did make a nice groove for the hacksaw.
That was my problem. 2 blades and the damm thing wasn't through. So when I went to do my hacksaw and stem as a guide I made sure to cut just below the pipe cutter so I could get rid of whatever bevel it tried doing. It took some time (sawzall would be faster :) ) but in the end it was a nice clean cut. Never again will I fudge around with a pipe cutter for a steer tube.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
We have an oldish park guide and the cuts aren't always perfect. I use a tubing cutter on all but carbon. I go fast and abuse the tool and it's fine. I have a $7.39 cutter that has cut 20 forks. It's still fine. Steel is tougher, but it works anyway. I use a grinder or a file to clean things up. If it takes 5 hours to cut one with a tubing cutter, you don't have any business with any tool in your hand.

Sanjuro - I have cut a Dirt Jumper with my cutter.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I bought a Sette steerer tube cutter (ie generic pipe cutter) and use it the other day. It performed far better than any hacksaw could ever have imagined peforming. Plus I have proof and numbers to back this all up. Im not posting them though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I clamp the steerer tube in a vise where I want to cut it and bend the fork back and forth until it snaps off.

Sorry, that's what I do with cutting down kickstands...

Squirreldh

Chimp
Dec 21, 2006
pipe cutters are ok, I dont like how they flare the tubing at the cut though, requiring filing or grinding to smooth it out. I do agree that it requires a lot less elbow grease than a hacksaw, but that is my preferred method.