Quantcast

Pisgah (beehive, headleys, rasberry) Feb 6 or 7

Jan 12, 2009
So, this saturday or sunday (february 6 or 7) some friends and I are going to Pisgah to hit up the sweet downhill singletrack.

-How are the trails? Muddy? Snowy?

-How are the shuttle roads? Will 4x4 be adequate?

-Are the main roads even drivable? How much snow did you guys get?

OldSkool

Chimp
Nov 4, 2009
Fletcher NC
We got anywhere from 8"-12" of snow last weekend and the forecast is for 8" Friday and Saturday. I would say the trails will be a mess.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yeah Eddie, but he's talking about the section of Pisgah above Morganton in what is called the Grandfather district. I might be down for some of that action and might could talk John P and Greg into it. Anybody going out there for some recon?

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
I would be down to go but I think it's gonna be a mess. The storm system we are getting here (greensboro) looks likes its coming from the high country. Damn this weather is depressing.

ininerider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2009
Banner Elk NC
I drive by these trails everyday. As of now snow still on the ground. We are expecting more snow and ice tonight and through the weekend. I would say no...Whenever you want trail conditions give me a shout...

Jan 12, 2009
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I live in Winston-Salem and yea Fri/Sat we might get hit by another storm. Im thinking its a no go. Parents dont want my friends and me out driving in a snow storm... We should get a group together on another weekend (if mother nature will let us ride).

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
ncfreerider - I dunno if you are headed to the clemson dh race in a couple weeks, but I think we are getting some people together to go down there and ride before the race, weather permitting. I would like to go ride it a bit before the race weekend, I've never been out there before. PM me if you are interested.

Jan 12, 2009
ncfreerider - I dunno if you are headed to the clemson dh race in a couple weeks, but I think we are getting some people together to go down there and ride before the race, weather permitting. I would like to go ride it a bit before the race weekend, I've never been out there before. PM me if you are interested.
Yea! Im planning on headin' down there, and just give me a date when you are planning on going! I agree, always nice to get extra practice in on a course you have never been on!

Jan 12, 2009
So my friends and I aren't going to Clemson, but we are gonna head to Pisgah and hit up maybe beehive, headleys and raspberry.

-How are the conditions? Snow? Mud? Trees? Shuttle Roads?

Any info is welcome...

We would be there on saturday...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I would be surprised if things were in rideable condition:

http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Foscoe

I think they got a pretty good shot of snow over the last couple days, and it doesn't appear that it's going to get warm enough to melt much of it. That said, snowfall amounts will probably depend on what side of the mountain you're on. I've also heard they have been experiencing some pretty fierce wind storms, so there is a very real possibility that some trees are down. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but that would be a seriously macho endeavor if you decide to go (i.e. take pix!).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I would be surprised if things were in rideable condition:

http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Foscoe

I think they got a pretty good shot of snow over the last couple days, and it doesn't appear that it's going to get warm enough to melt much of it. That said, snowfall amounts will probably depend on what side of the mountain you're on. I've also heard they have been experiencing some pretty fierce wind storms, so there is a very real possibility that some trees are down. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but that would be a seriously macho endeavor if you decide to go (i.e. take pix!).
Do it!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I'd be willing to bet headly and beehive would be in better shape than rasberry. Rasberry has lots of dark rhodo sections that would be covered in snow, and the clearcuts would be a red-clay mess.

I'm willing to bet headly is mostly clear of trees but prob at least partially covered in snow. Beehive can go either way...could be fast and dry or could be a total mess. Good luck getting there via greentown if you're trying to stay dry. The creeks will still be up from the snowmelt this past week. Brown mountain's south facing, lower elevation slopes may be a better bet than true wilsons just yet.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'd be willing to bet headly and beehive would be in better shape than rasberry. Rasberry has lots of dark rhodo sections that would be covered in snow, and the clearcuts would be a red-clay mess.
I did that ride a couple of years back, when there was no snow anywhere at all. On the road driving up was clear as can be, but when you dropped into Raspberry, the whole upper part was covered in snow, then the rest of the ride was fine. So yeah, I bet that upper part would be a gongshow right now.

Jan 12, 2009
Pisgah was amazing! We did 6 or 7 shuttles of headleys and 2 shuttles of barkhouse.

The shuttle road for Barkhouse/raspberry was closed, so we had to pedal out from barkhouse.

Tried to drive to beehive, but gate was closed. Never been on greentown so didn't go that route.

Headleys is pretty clear, except for 5 or 6 trees that fell across the trail. Can either duck under them, or ride over them.

Barkhouse was pretty snowy but a good ride nonetheless.

As the day went on, the frozen ground started to melt, turning everything into a mudpit. But hey what can you expect from a day at Pisgah?

Weather was perfect.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
depending on how much rain we get I am trying to get out saturday, sunday, tuesday. I will problably stick to the ridgelines to the northeast if anyone wants to join me.

p.s. the fire road gates are usually only open around late summer/fall.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Greentown is in good shape
Beehive still has a few blockages
Headley has received some work and is in good shape

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC