Quantcast

Pisgah camping+riding pictures

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Just got back from a sweeet 3 day 3 night camping trip in Pisgah National Forest in NC. Lots of good times but not as many pics as I'd hoped because I forgot my camera battery. No pics from wed or thurs but my mom brought the battery to me on friday morning, so the pics start there.

We had the same campsite as last time, which is perfect, its kinda out there but its pretty centralized to the best, most remote routes in pisgah. Thursday night we were up on the Blue Ridge Parkway around midnight and saw a pretty nice sized Black Bear.

Anyway some pics.

First we did Black Mountain, up clawhammer rd then up to the summit, a good 5-7 mile climb, then down for about 20 minutes to the ranger's station. I went down hard goin pretty fast at the bottom and jacked my foot pretty hard, so this is the only big ride we got to do.

The view from the top.

I wish I had more shots from this trail as it is ridiculously long and fun, has wide open nasty tech sections, then drops into way tight singletrack through the rhododendrons, then opens up into a killer 2 mile singletrack section thats just massive speed with bermed turns and waterbars. Probably my favorite descent in pisgah, despite the death climb to get to it. With the combination of my half siezed front brake and the 85 degree temps in full sun, the climb was pretty rough.

Motomike on the way down.

Back at camp, this is the best campsite i've ever had, theres a nice creek right next to it, where we found a couple nice waterfalls and caught some crawfish that we then boiled and ate.

My bike at camp.

Later that evening we went to do some shooting on some singletrack near camp.

This is a hot dog I ate.

enjoy.

J

JRB

Nice pics, as always. I wish I would remember to check ride reports. I hope I don't miss them by them not being posted in the lounge.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
That´s rad. I people here were down to do that! That seems like the fundamental difference between American riders and European riders: camping, riding, and taking it easy, all combined in one, just does not seem possible over here.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sweet...we've got 7 weeks until our trip.

question - for all these long climbs, do you really ride in what appears to be cut-off dickies? if the answer is yes, how do you avoid yr taint area looking like a rabid wolverine attacked it?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
narlus said:
sweet...we've got 7 weeks until our trip.

question - for all these long climbs, do you really ride in what appears to be cut-off dickies? if the answer is yes, how do you avoid yr taint area looking like a rabid wolverine attacked it?
Yep, thats what james wore on our big ride that day too. I wear DH shorts when I ride up there usually, but they don't really have a liner or chamios, so I guess I just have a resiliant grundle.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
nice pics man i went up there a couple weeks ago and those are some great trails. i was lookin at the latest dirtrag and noticed one of your pictures in there.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
The flip flops are the coolest, lol, looks like a lot of fun, i gotta talk some of my buds into going on a trip like that