Quantcast

Pisgah Has Some Big Ass Hills...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, first off Id like to say THANKS to Bob from South Carolina, who took time from his own ride to show around some lost-in-the-sauce tourists on bikes from Nashville.

Me, and some other Nashville guys headed down to Pisgah on Friday for a long weekend of riding and beer. We rented an awesome cabin outside of Brevard called "The Hubbard House" which was a bit out of the way, but it was cheap and really nice. Id recommend it to anyone who is heading to Western NC to ride.

We left from Nashville around 8 (two hours later than planned) and arrived sometime in the afternoon at the cabin. We had planned on riding friday afternoon, but it was raining cats and mammoths outside, so we decided just to chill out and relax. Headed to sycamore cycles, and got riding recommendations based on the weather, etc..

This was the front porch of our cabin. NICE view, great place to relax.

...and we ate some meat and drank some BEER.

..we also turned the cabin's living room into a bikeshop, as we all did our last-minute tweaks to get ready for the day ahead:

...anyway, the next morning came EARLY, and for some reason, I woke up feeling like a 90lb Rabbit with a cement wiener had been raping my knee all night while I slept. We were told that Dupont state forest tends to drain the best because its very sandy, so that's where we decided to go.

We got out there and of course headed up the trail people call "Slickrock east" and of course, posed for the obligatory group shot near the summit.

...this was a pretty badass climb. At least for me anyway. The guys I was riding with were pretty good riders, and riding that bullit all over the place was a chore...Id like to say the downhills made up for it, but I believe we climbed about 250% more than we descended...NO, I dont know how that's possible:mumble:

However, the downhills were FUN, and the one place that I could pull away from the guys I was riding with to snap a picture of actual riding..

After that trail...I wouldnt say we were lost, but we did somehow manage to ride around on fireroads FOREVER, that is, until we met BOB. This guy was a MACHINE and led us all over the forest to some crazy trails. Alot of it was really hard...much much climbing. I cant really remember the order of things we did, because we rode for so long, and I began hallucinating and wishing I were dead, as we climbed one massive hill after another. This guy was on a 5-spot and never broke a sweat, by the way...

Here are some pics of the trails we rode:

...and I know you all arent big fans of poser group shots, but we did stop by this amazing waterfall, and this shot does it NO justice....

We ended up riding for 4 and a half hours at dupont, and it was seriously one of the hardest things I have ever done. At the end...we all were spent...

We loaded up and headed back into town to get some lunch..we ate at Hawg Wild BBQ or something, which was ok, and then headed on in to Pisgah forest for some more riding. I dont know who had the idea of riding the Black Mountain trail, but wow, after the death march earlier in the day, this was brutal.

We got there, and there was some huge race going on, they said the trail wasnt closed, so as we started this massive ascent, racers were blazing down the hill past us. We all just ended up pushing our bikes for like 2 hours up stuff like this:

and we pushed, and pushed, and rode a little, and pushed some more...

We got pretty damned far, but we started losing daylight really quickly, so we decided to abandon the hike-a-bike session, and bomb back down the mountain at mach-jesus. This was the BEST ride of the weekend. Unfortunately, it was much too exciting for me to want to stop and take pics.

We got home exhausted, drank some beers and crashed out. The next morning we awoke to more pissing rain...we had decided to ride the Bent Creek area the night before, but instead, we hit up some shorter trail in pisgah so we could get back to the cabin and clean up before we drove the 5 hours home. We, and our bikes got completely soaked and covered in mud. I spent all day today overhauling my bike, and it was full of sand mud and leaves. Quite the mess.

...anyway, the trip was great. I cant wait to do it again!

mtnbiker66

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Your trail at Dupont were in order of the pics.
The slickrock was Bigrock and Ceader rock trails
The trail with the drops was Burnt Mtn
The creek crossing was Reasonover creek Trail
The waterfall was Bridal Veil Falls. You guys went up one of the best decents in Pisgah, Black Mtn.
Next time PM me! Nice Bullit by the way. Good to see ya' again.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Cool. Yah i understand fully how you feel about hills. Downhill always came easier to me than climbing. i'm pretty much reverse of most riders in that i have to work hard on cardio, where many riders have to work on the techy side. But by keeping at it, it gets better and the longer trail ride adventures are so priceless.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Burly, you did an out and back up Black Mountain? :dead: :dead:

We have always climbed the fireroad from the horse stables up to Black Mountain. so, the other day I was riding solo and thought it would be way quicker to cilimb up thrift cove, and then climb up Black Mountain all the way up, turn around and blaze down. Bad Idea.
That climb is horrendous.
Anyway, that ride down is just the best around for sure.:hot:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jeremy R said:
LMAO, yeah...
I'd read that it was a good trail, but I didnt really grasp the enormity of the undertaking. Id certainly like to find a better way up there, because riding back down was amazing...hitting those waterbars and launching way out..man..Im never going to forget that.

66, yeah, I'll definitely post up before I head down again. Id like to do some shuttling down there at some point too.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I've been told the best way to ride black mtn is not the way I've done it...straight up from the ranger station. Although, for the xc dork I was, the decent down the switchbacks was a fun chore, cleaning all but one - and it is still the only time I've had to climb up a tree to snag my bike as I fell about 50ft down the mtn. That and claw hammer and a bunch of other trails I have no idea what they were as I was seeing things half way in the ride. That ride showed me what an animal spoke80 is on an xc bike and got us in Bike Mag a few years ago w/ the rattlesnake picture.

Good to see ya'll had fun out there.

J

JRB

Nice pics, bro. I particularly like the pose in the first group pic.

I will make it there in a year or two. Those trails look like ours, but longer.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
Nice pics, bro. I particularly like the pose in the first group pic.

I will make it there in a year or two. Those trails look like ours, but longer.
I would say that the trails there are not anything like those in texas. The mountains are quite big, and the flora wouldnt do well in Texas...I recommend you come out this summer...

mtnbiker66

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
In a van down by the river.
d.e.f. said:
I've been told the best way to ride black mtn is not the way I've done it...straight up from the ranger station. Although, for the xc dork I was, the decent down the switchbacks was a fun chore, cleaning all but one - and it is still the only time I've had to climb up a tree to snag my bike as I fell about 50ft down the mtn. That and claw hammer and a bunch of other trails I have no idea what they were as I was seeing things half way in the ride. That ride showed me what an animal spoke80 is on an xc bike and got us in Bike Mag a few years ago w/ the rattlesnake picture.

Good to see ya'll had fun out there.
That was you??? I remember that pic. Big flippin snake!

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
mtnbiker66 said:
That was you??? I remember that pic. Big flippin snake!
I was one of them, cracked out in the background. I think some of the other guys post on here too - I know Ben does as well as Mark (who took the pic) and J-Lo and Shawn may too, I don't know. I think it was on claw hammer, but half of that ride was a blur.

We've run across a few rattlers out there. Sh!t, a buddy stepped on one while dabbing on the climb up Laurel Mtn. Lucky for us, it was still early and the snake was a bit cold.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
nice fellas. see i told you the climb up black moutain was a well biatch lol. glad you had fun and hopefully you dont get to bored over here in nashville. hey i got it you guys should come with me to the sugar race and ride in that lol.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
frznnomad said:
nice fellas. see i told you the climb up black moutain was a well biatch lol. glad you had fun and hopefully you dont get to bored over here in nashville. hey i got it you guys should come with me to the sugar race and ride in that lol.
I am planning on racing the SuperD, perhaps the DH, but my bullit will have to suffice.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Nice shots, looks like a great day to be at dupont. But WOW ya'll shoulda consulted someone before black mtn....that route would be DEATH, especially if you went all the way to the top. You'll get the hang of it with a few more trips over here. Nice shots and report.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Sounds like a fun trip. Would you mind posting the contact info for that cabin? Possibly the price too?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
awsome burly. so i guess were gonna have to get a ride together soon out here in nashville so i can meet you and well ridding with curtis and that group of guys is always fun man. ohh and nice pics man deffinatly glad we got some more boys showing some pisgah lovin. ohh and about the bullet in my opinion it will do just fine. one of my boys rocked one at sugar and well did just fine.

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
frznnomad said:
Do they allow dogs there? I was going to go with BS and bring our dog, but is that ok if he's around? If you don't know, how would I find that out?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
to my knowledge your all good there might be a leash law but well just play stupid. if you start at the horse stables you might have a problem but other than that man you should be straight.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jeremy R said:

We have always climbed the fireroad from the horse stables up to Black Mountain. so, the other day I was riding solo and thought it would be way quicker to cilimb up thrift cove, and then climb up Black Mountain all the way up, turn around and blaze down. Bad Idea.
That climb is horrendous.
Anyway, that ride down is just the best around for sure.:hot:
well, my friends just made the same mistake burly did:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=194761

hopefully i won't make it a trifecta. :D