Quantcast

Pittsburgh to DC bike trail

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I really want to do it in two days only thing that suck are logistics. If there was a way to get from DC to Pittsburgh and leave the car in DC.

I have ridden the north and south county trail system several times that goes from NYC to upstate NY and I love riding rails to trails system with no cars to worry about.

I

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Anybody seen this?

You can ride on car free trail from Pittsburgh to DC now total of 335 miles. Trial looks really nice. I would love to do that over a weekend.
Yep, I've ridden sections of it, but I suppose living in Pittsburgh keeps me more aware of it. Today there is a grand opening celebration thing since it is finally 100% complete, I will probably go check it out.

I really want to do it in two days only thing that suck are logistics. If there was a way to get from DC to Pittsburgh and leave the car in DC.
Two days, are you some kind of superhero? It's 335 miles on gravel & crushed limestone. Most people camp along the way since there aren't too many lodging options, so you have to carry your gear with you which means a heavy loaded bike. But you could stay in hotels/B&B's and bring less gear, but still have to carry some food and clothing. 60-70 miles a day is a reasonable amount for most people which is a 5 day trip, but some have done it in 3 or 4 days.

You can take a train from DC to Pittsburgh, this is probably the most common way people go since you can bring a bike on it and it's easier than flying.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
It is paved around Pittsburgh but most of it is not. It is fairly smooth though, but not as fast rolling as pavement. A cross bike or even durable road bike with slightly meatier tires (32mm width) works fine, but any kind of bike could work. The most comfortable bike to ride long distances on is the best choice. I rode an old mountain bike on part of it before and that was fine too but a bit slower rolling than my girlfriend on her cross bike.

We are planning to ride the whole thing later this summer, but I need more saddle time first, as in long time/distance rides that are not necessarily MTB rides. Last year we rode a section of it 35 miles, camped overnight, and rode back the next day, while carrying all gear, clothes, and food with us. That wasn't too bad but doubling that mileage in a day is going to be a lot of riding. My ass is not used to that kind of saddle time.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It is paved around Pittsburgh but most of it is not. It is fairly smooth though, but not as fast rolling as pavement. A cross bike or even durable road bike with slightly meatier tires (32mm width) works fine, but any kind of bike could work. The most comfortable bike to ride long distances on is the best choice. I rode an old mountain bike on part of it before and that was fine too but a bit slower rolling than my girlfriend on her cross bike.

We are planning to ride the whole thing later this summer, but I need more saddle time first, as in long time/distance rides that are not necessarily MTB rides. Last year we rode a section of it 35 miles, camped overnight, and rode back the next day, while carrying all gear, clothes, and food with us. That wasn't too bad but doubling that mileage in a day is going to be a lot of riding. My ass is not used to that kind of saddle time.
I did something like this by myself on the Erie Canal last year. Rochester to Buffalo was cool. Rochester to Syracuse not so much.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I did something like this by myself on the Erie Canal last year. Rochester to Buffalo was cool. Rochester to Syracuse not so much.
That's still cool though, I didn't realize the canal was an official bike route now. But I would say the scenery is probably more interesting on the GAP trail than in central NY, especially since there are old tunnels you get to ride through on the GAP due to the hilly terrain (although the trail itself is not hilly).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
That's still cool though, I didn't realize the canal was an official bike route now. But I would say the scenery is probably more interesting on the GAP trail than in central NY, especially since there are old tunnels you get to ride through on the GAP due to the hilly terrain (although the trail itself is not hilly).
The thing that kicked my ass was getting chased by dogs in the rural sections. Every house you would pass had a dog. I quickly ran out of steam...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've been thinking about it for a few years. I have family in DC and just outside Pittsburgh. If I timed it right, I could get a ride from one end to the other with them.

Flyin_W

Chimp
Jan 4, 2013
With family in PIT, and living near DC, plan to ride it one-way in 5 days by traveling light, not cooking, and only using B&B's if weather turns to crap. Had thought of catching a return ride by one who's driving, yet the train sounds like a good solution. My weapon of choice is rigid SS with Big Apple's with 34 x 16.