Quantcast

Pivot Cycles...anyone ridden yet?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Considering throwing down the $$ to order one. I have ridden few suspension bikes, and none have ever been a dw-link design (most were Horst links). The Mach 4 appears to be what I'm looking for in a FS bike, however being that Interbike was sort of their coming out party, I have yet to even see one.

Would like to hear thoughts, e-speculation, rumors, and whatnot on not only the dw-link, but the ride of the Mach 4, the press-in bb, and the frame-mounted front derailleur.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Those look kinda cool. I dig the IH Hollowpoint MKiii, but it's a little flexy under my less than fit frame.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Only had a short cruise at demo days and a talk with Chris. Can't speak to the BB or front derailleur as they were working fine. I had a dw-link before (7point) and love the way they ride. The bike had a very solid feel and was confidence inspiring. Chris knows how to build a stiff rear triangle and the short links for the dw setup don't cause any flex issues. Currently ride a Horst link bike and while I have no real complaints, I loved my dw-link.

My only hangup is the wheel size but there is a solution in the works (dw-link 29er :rockout: )

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Considering throwing down the $$ to order one. I have ridden few suspension bikes, and none have ever been a dw-link design (most were Horst links). The Mach 4 appears to be what I'm looking for in a FS bike, however being that Interbike was sort of their coming out party, I have yet to even see one.

Would like to hear thoughts, e-speculation, rumors, and whatnot on not only the dw-link, but the ride of the Mach 4, the press-in bb, and the frame-mounted front derailleur.
ask Davemakalakalaster he has 3 of them!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Check out the Speedgoat.com blog for their thoughts as well.

I briefly had a Hollowpoint - before the Mark III redesign and it worked great. However I took a chance on a used one that ended up being way too big for me as the IH sizing was whacked out back in those days.

Go for it and let us all know how you like it. :)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Know nothing about the frames, but I had a press-in BB on the Klein. Never had any issues with it, except finding a shop that had the press for it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Had a couple Pivot Mach5s built up at the shop for the floor. $4200 for a complete with full XT, RP23, and Talas. Going to be hard to sell at that price.

Rode it in the parking lot, wanting to feel the bob. I figured what better place to feel bob, right? The parking lot. Nice and flat, no obstructions...throw down and feel the bob.

The DW-Link impressed everyone that sprinted. Very, very little bob. We're all anxious as hell to get out on the trail with one. I'm damn anxious for my medium Mach4 to come in.

Dave P.

Chimp
Jul 16, 2008
I've got a Mach 5 and love it!

I'd guess I'm about 20 rides into the love affair. I'll admit things were a tad rough at first. But once I got comfortable with running enough sag on the rear shock things have been wonderful. For whatever reason I insisted on running a 1/4 inch sag as I had done with my previous two Tituses. Big mistake. Just like the Pivot set up guide suggests you need at least 30% sag. That's a lot more then a 1/4 inch!

Pros
-ultra stiff laterally
-fantastic build quality and finish work
-spot on geometry (same as my moto-lite which was perfect for me)
-It's everything an Ironhorse isn't
-5.5 inches of travel at about 27lbs
-Amazing climber
-funky BB and front der set up has been an absolute non issue.

Cons
-wasn't available in black
- I guess it doesn't have that ultra plush barcalounger ride some folks like (not my thing anyway)
- ummm, I can't really think of any other cons (I guess thats a pro?)

If you spot someone in CT riding one it's probably me :wave:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I demo'd a mach 5 and it is definitely the top of the short list for the next bike I buy.

I was amazed at how smooth it climbed. I jumped on it after 15+ miles of rocky singletrack on the greenbelt (completely worn out) and headed for toys r us hill.

Nailed more than I normally could hit on my 4" bike, despite being really wiped out. The 4-5 mile demo was great.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
I know tacklespore rides one... I rode it in the parking lot one day.. rode smooth and nimble.. Never riden on the trail though..

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
I definitely think the pivot is an option when the stumpy retires...

So riddle me this.. whats the point of the small block 8 in theback and the nevegal in the front...'??

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
I demo'd a mach 5 and it is definitely the top of the short list for the next bike I buy.

I was amazed at how smooth it climbed. I jumped on it after 15+ miles of rocky singletrack on the greenbelt (completely worn out) and headed for toys r us hill.

Nailed more than I normally could hit on my 4" bike, despite being really wiped out. The 4-5 mile demo was great.
Where abouts in austin is the greenbelt man? ive heard some rave reviews about it... id like to check it out when i get back to killeen

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the bike is designed with the Arizona trails that Chris rides in mind. As such, they spec a tire combo that is good in dry, somewhat rocky terrains. For the Dallas area, the Nevegal is overkill, but the SB8 is fantastic. I was running a Larsen TT, but recently swapped out for a Captain by Specialized.

The Greenbelt is sort of omnipresent in Austin. It's best to hook up with people who know it (like Austin Bike), or plan a 4hr exploration session. That's how I learned the trail, and I still haven't seen it all. I prefer to start from the Hill of Life that can be found here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Camp+Craft+Road+and+Barclay+Dr,+Austin,+TX&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
the bike is designed with the Arizona trails that Chris rides in mind. As such, they spec a tire combo that is good in dry, somewhat rocky terrains. For the Dallas area, the Nevegal is overkill, but the SB8 is fantastic.]
the Nevegal is purrrrrrrfect for Louisiana's wet/muddy winter conditions...