Quantcast

Pivot Mach 6, 160mm or 150mm? RS Pike, FOX Float or X-Fusion Sweep?

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
So i am ordering a large Pivot Mach 6, 155mm rear travel, this is obviously in between 160 and 150, my question is, what travel fork are you planning to run and why?

I have an Evil undead so the Long travel bike dept is taken care of, would 160 on the Mach 6 be too close to my dh rig, capability wise and I should stick with the 150 travel fork? Let me know what your thoughts/plans are!

So i am ordering a large Pivot Mach 6, 155mm rear travel, this is obviously in between 160 and 150, my question is, what travel fork are you planning to run and why?

I have an Evil undead so the Long travel bike dept is taken care of, would 160 on the Mach 6 be too close to my dh rig, capability wise and I should stick with the 150 travel fork? Let me know what your thoughts/plans are!
get the 160mm. if you don't like it, pop in a spacer and voila! 150mm.

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
That is exactly what I was thinking BUT i had read on a forum that the travel can not be changed. But if the travel can be changed then it is a no-brainer, 160mm, and do as you said, pop/move a spacer. So assuming that travel is adjustable, is it similar to fox in that you take a spacer from the top of the fork internals and move it below? I have experience with the 2013 Fox 40 FIT rc2 but not RS pike.

Also, what about the geo difference, anybody know what it would be? Pivot has 66.25 for a large and I am assuming that is for the 150mm fork, maybe 66 or 65.75 for the 10mm increase? And then I think climbing may be affected and the bike is looking/acting more and more like my evil undead.

On a side note @chillindrdude, how do you like the bronson? I have been wrestling with the mach 6 vs the bronson. I hopped on one and rode it around lbs parking lot and it didn't seem like it could really tackle aggressive trail/all mtn riding, but that is my opinion from a 2 minute parking lot ride.

Last edited:
i've never done it but i'm pretty sure you gotta pull lowers off for Rockshox. The spacer is a 10mm wide spacer that you put on and then reassemble. SHould be pretty easy yourself, or any decent shop should be able to do.

i've had a little seat time on a dwlink bike. it was a hard choice between the two. if i didn't already have a v10c, i likely would have gotten a dwlink bike. but around the time the Bronson C rolled out, a carbon 27.5 specific dwlink 5-6" travel bike wasn't available. I was pretty impressed with the pedalling efficiency of the dwlink but it still retained the plushness on the downhills. The bronson certainly matches the dwlink in terms of bump eating on the downhills, but does lose alittle when climbing or hammering. with the fox float ctd rear shock, i usually keep it in trail or descend. no need for the firmest damping setting.

i really like the bronson, it's pretty efficient going up, but slays the downhills. it's comparable to the mach 6 imho. can't go wrong with either.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I'd go 150 on that bike. For 3 reasons. 1) It is already slacked out at 66. 2)It has short chainstays for a big wheeled bike, and the higher the front end gets, the loopier that bike will be. 3) the seat tube angle is already on the slack side, and a higher fork will just make it worse.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd go 150 on that bike. For 3 reasons. 1) It is already slacked out at 66. 2)It has short chainstays for a big wheeled bike, and the higher the front end gets, the loopier that bike will be. 3) the seat tube angle is already on the slack side, and a higher fork will just make it worse.
depends on the a-c of the forks.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Of course it does, but the pike and the fox 34 are only like 4mm apart with the pike being a little higher. The geo on that mach 6 is already really slanted towards DH even with a 150 fork.

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
Yea, 160mm would be nice to have that extra travel but it would be super slack for a am bike. With how high the Pike supposedly sits in its travel the 150 should be fine I would think.

Mtnman

Chimp
Nov 6, 2001
Pikes cannot be travel adjusted unless you install a new shaft.

I'm planning on going 160 when/if I get a M6. I doubt most would be able to feel the 10mm diff on head angle for climbing really, but the 10mm extra travel WILL be nice. You could also sag the fork more.

I think Pike is the new standard that other AM forks will be compared to. Fox and XFusion are okay, but always seem to be compared to the RS's. Just my $0.2