Quantcast

Pivot Phoenix geo = strange

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
What did you do with the suspension rate on that frame? I admit all my drooling is only based on pictures. I haven't heard a damn thing on how they actually ride.
dw: I'm curious about that as well. Care to comment?

aenim

Chimp
Apr 15, 2010
Poland
DW,

I am about to order Phoenix DH and have some questions, hope you can help. I am 5'11" and weigh around 176lbs, what frame size and spring rate would you recommend? I think medium should be fine.

I would also appreciate some reviews from current owners, are there any of them here?

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
What do y'all think about the new Phoenix? I was almost certain my next bike was going to be a V10 or Demo.... but now I'm wondering about this frame... coming off an Undead which I loved... anyone have any insight?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
What do y'all think about the new Phoenix? I was almost certain my next bike was going to be a V10 or Demo.... but now I'm wondering about this frame... coming off an Undead which I loved... anyone have any insight?
Looks fantastic and I'm a fan of DW-Link. However this is a first year production run for the bike so there's a chance there may be some issues. Of course, it could be utterly perfect. Just buy it and keep a spare DH bike.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
my question is, if you had an undead and loved it, why get rid of it?
I got a large, but it was a little small for me and I need something a little longer... and I also wanted to upgrade to 27.5" wheels.

i'm deciding between the new demo, the new v10, and the phoenix for my next bike...

antihero

Chimp
Jul 3, 2008
love the new phoenix. can't wait to see it up close. Apparently the saddle is only an issue in the smaller size or for people who ride with their saddle low.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The answer is...Turner?

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
Don't say nuthing bout no sizes.

Sounds essential. :D
I read somewhere that it's not, it's aimed more for the shorter riders on smaller sized bikes that need to keep the seat slammed lower. It's blurbed about somewhere by one of the Pivot reps.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
To be fair, specialized was one of the last companies to jump on the 27.5 bandwagon. They typically lag behind the times when it comes to new stuff in the industry.

But I do get the feeling he does that a lot.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
And there is your 2014 / 2015 mtb industry in a nutshell.
Hey, you guys can go ahead and stay with "the old" science and technology all ya want... no ones twisting your arm to change. But yeah, it's totally cool and hip to disapprove of people who have money and means to upgrade their equipment every year, right?

Have you even ridden 27.5" wheels or do you both just want to hop on the bandwagon that change is not necessary and change is bad! Besides, if you couldn't catch the sarcasm in my post about carbon & 27.5", you need to spend more time on internet forums before replying on one. :thumbsdown:

Anyways, I heard back from Pivot dealers this frame won't be out until late January or early February...so I'll probably be riding a V10 by then anyways.

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
Hey, you guys can go ahead and stay with "the old" science and technology all ya want... no ones twisting your arm to change. But yeah, it's totally cool and hip to disapprove of people who have money and means to upgrade their equipment every year, right?

Have you even ridden 27.5" wheels or do you both just want to hop on the bandwagon that change is not necessary and change is bad! Besides, if you couldn't catch the sarcasm in my post about carbon & 27.5", you need to spend more time on internet forums before replying on one. :thumbsdown:

Anyways, I heard back from Pivot dealers this frame won't be out until late January or early February...so I'll probably be riding a V10 by then anyways.
Not sure where that info originated from, but I just got word yesterday that they'll be shipping out to shops later this month. You may want to check again :) :)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

what the hell are you talking about??? :confused:
I thought your comment was SPOT ON ... even though I knew you were making a joke.

I have ridden a 27.5 bike (and 29r as well) and I can say with confidence that the skies didn't open up and angels did not bestow a bounty of KOMs upon me. The trail frame I'm looking at now happens to be a 650b. In many cases, change is NOT "necessary". This wheel thing happens to be one of them.

I know a guy in SLC who already has his new Phoenix. I'd suggest you ask your dealer to double check before buying that V10, if the Pivot is what you'd prefer.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
what the hell are you talking about??? :confused:
I thought your comment was SPOT ON ... even though I knew you were making a joke.
Sorry, that part of the response was more to the guy doing thumbs down on the 27.5" wheels.

Not sure where that info originated from, but I just got word yesterday that they'll be shipping out to shops later this month. You may want to check again :) :)
I contacted the closest dealer to me listed on Pivot's web page... Thanks for the information!

I am undecided on the bikes...honestly I think that whichever 3 comes out first, I'd probably be happy with...for a year or so at least.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sorry, that part of the response was more to the guy doing thumbs down on the 27.5" wheels.

My my, a little testy are we?! I wasn't giving the thumbs down to the 650b wheels, but rather to calling them an upgrade. Yes I've ridden 650b bikes, and I can honestly say I don't find it is an upgrade over 26". They're different. But to label them an upgrade is what 'the man' wants you to say.

But maybe you were being sarcastic and I missed it...