Quantcast

Pixelninja's Weekend 'o Moab (dialup beware)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I took last friday off and headed to Moab for the weekend. Left my house around 6 am and arrived a bit after 11. Immediately headed up to Sandflats campground to snag a site before they were full. Whoops. Too late. Already full. I talked to the guy at the entrance and he pointed me in the direction of a few other camping spots. My buddy Jon showed up shortly and we went in search of a site. We headed west and quickly found a couple good sites just down the road from the trailhead of Poison Spider. And these sites had lots of shade, as compared to the treeless wonder that is Sandflats. After setting up, our friend Charlie showed up and we headed over to Poison Spider.

Here's Jon climbing a slickrock section of Poison Spider:

Here's Charlie attempting the same section:

View of the La Sal peaks:

Lots and lots of 4 wheelers out this weekend:

When we got back to camp, our friend Ali showed up. By the time it was dark, we had a group of about 10 people.

Sunset:

Sunrise:

Camp:

Jon, Ali and Charlie at the lookout of Porcupine Rim:

Washed out view of the overlook:

Life in the desert:

Jon heading down Porc Rim above the Colorado River:

Me at the bottom of Porc Rim:

Bizarre trees around our campsite:

Bizarre trees #2:

We were planning on hitting Bartlett Wash on Sunday, but when we woke it was raining off and on, so we decided to bail and head home.

There's a few more pics here: http://www.pixelninja.net/pics/moab-05/

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Poison Spidy...mmmmmm. Never been to Bartlett. Heard it's a hoot w/ a lot of 1/2 pipe like drainage riding
Do the Portal when you hucked up Poison Spider? Ride or hiked it?
Nice shots! It friggin' snow'd here again. I think this coming weekend calls for a Fruita outting :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
I took last friday off and headed to Moab for the weekend. Left my house around 6 am and arrived a bit after 11.<snip> After setting up, our friend Charlie showed up and we headed over to Poison Spider.

<snip>

There's a few more pics here: http://www.pixelninja.net/pics/moab-05/
Nice pics! Portal Trail is one of the trails I've yet to do in Moab. Gotta get back there. :think:

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the singletrack section of p-rim (jackass canyon?) is so much fun. great shots.

too bad you got rained out of bartlett, but that place would be lethal when wet.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Pau11y said:
Poison Spidy...mmmmmm. Never been to Bartlett. Heard it's a hoot w/ a lot of 1/2 pipe like drainage riding
Do the Portal when you hucked up Poison Spider? Ride or hiked it?
Nice shots! It friggin' snow'd here again. I think this coming weekend calls for a Fruita outting :D
We didn't do the Portal. We rode PS as an out-n-back.

I got snowed on during the drive home. It rained non stop from Grand Junction to Denver, except over Vail Pass and Loveland Pass when it turned to snow.

Looking back, I wished we'd planned out Moab trip to coincide with the Fruita festival. Maybe then there wouldn't have been so many people in Moab.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
We didn't do the Portal. We rode PS as an out-n-back.
That's how we did it. I thought P.S. pretty much sucked. Maybe it's better with the Portal thrown in.......

Looking back, I wished we'd planned out Moab trip to coincide with the Fruita festival. Maybe then there wouldn't have been so many people in Moab.
That is *excellent* thinking, man! :thumb:

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
SkaredShtles said:
That's how we did it. I thought P.S. pretty much sucked. Maybe it's better with the Portal thrown in.......
I wouldn't say it sucked, but the sand definitely did! I'm glad we did it, but probably won't plan on doing it again. The slickrock sections were cool, but there was way too much sand to ride through.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I wasn't that impressed with Poison Spider either. Sort of borring (that and all the sand). You should have rode Sovereign - so fast, so good!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
where's sovereign? is that a relatively new trail? i was there in '01 (but in time to still get to ride burro down/hazerd (sic) county)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
pixelninja said:
I wouldn't say it sucked, but the sand definitely did! I'm glad we did it, but probably won't plan on doing it again. The slickrock sections were cool, but there was way too much sand to ride through.
Yup - that's what shaped my impression of it. Slickrock-ish climb to the mesa, then sand. Lots of sand. Maybe there was more when we did it. It sucked.

Oh - and there were craploads of 4wds on the ride.

I guess I'd categorize it as "wouldn't do it again if I was in Moab" - not so much "suck", since pretty much nothing in Moab sucks. :p

Amasa Back - now that's one I could do *every* time I'm there. :thumb:

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
where's sovereign? is that a relatively new trail? i was there in '01 (but in time to still get to ride burro down/hazerd (sic) county)
Yeah - I think Soverign was christened around '01 or '02 maybe? It may have been longer ago, since my memory sucks.

I've never ridden it.

I think that Moab is feeling the Fruita heat. :p

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Have you guys heard about a shuttle route in the La Sals? Some bozoos around here were telling me about that a couple of years ago saying it's big bikes friendly. Just curious if any of yaz have heard of it or it was just an e(vil)-rumor.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
Have you guys heard about a shuttle route in the La Sals? Some bozoos around here were telling me about that a couple of years ago saying it's big bikes friendly. Just curious if any of yaz have heard of it or it was just an e(vil)-rumor.
I've heard rumors of it as well. Sounds like a cool trail, but I don't really know details. You know any locals in Moab? ;)

-S.S.-

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Pau11y said:
I've heard of that too. It think it's known as UPS & LPS. From what I've heard it is definitely a big bike trail.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Morryjg said:
I've heard of that too. It think it's known as UPS & LPS. From what I've heard it is definitely a big bike trail.
It's more than just the UPS and LPS sections, there's other stuff that links everything together from the LaSalles down through P-Rim. Crazy decent, but from what I understand not everything was "legit". Last I talked to some locals, they're working to get the entire route opened up and legal - and I hear they're making some headway. Them crazy locals used to do races down that thing - marathon DH style.

Sovereign is DOPE - über fun, and a Moab must do at least once. Tour of Canyonlands race was in Moab this weekend, and Jeep Jamboree is either just passed or coming up REAL quick? Those two things would have probably added to the amount of people out enjoying theyselves some slickrock love...

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Full Trucker said:
Those two things would have probably added to the amount of people out enjoying theyselves some slickrock love...
That and it's spring so everyone is wanting a little be of warm desert riding love. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Pau11y said:

see my post above. it was called hazerd county. there was some nice drops and stuff up high in the la sals (came down this steep rock face and spooked two good-sized mule deer), nothing big but fun nonetheless, which dumped you a small section of dirt jumps. then it was the kokopelli trail (basically rutted 2-track), and then that led to the porc rim trail (and there was an entry point higher than the typical shuttle which cut out most of the climb).

but it's been dismantled, at the least the top aspen section.

UPS/LPS, Hazard, etc is off-limits. The BLM hacked out anything and everything that looked like a stunt or jump. I haven't talked to the Moab locals about it since last year, but at that time there were early plans on the table to try and legalize sections of the old trail. From the rumor mill, however, the skinny was that the trail would only be a shadow if its former self if the BLM got it's way...and it always does in Moab. :angry:

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
ill be out west this summer, without a bike unfortunately. I get to go backpacking in New Mexico for 2 weeks, then I drive down to the grand canyon and backpack north rim to south rim. we have any other backpackers around here?

J

JRB

Big_Papa1080 said:
ill be out west this summer, without a bike unfortunately. I get to go backpacking in New Mexico for 2 weeks, then I drive down to the grand canyon and backpack north rim to south rim. we have any other backpackers around here?
I have been once, and I now have my own stuff. I got cancelled on my Big Bend trip last month, but will go somewhere soon, or head to BBNP in the fall. I have though about NM in the next month or so.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
gschuette said:
I was there at the same time and I took the same picture. I had fun too.
Yeah, its a better view of the cliffs as well as the canyon. About what time was that? We were up there around noon.

What kind of camera do you have? I was a bit dissapointed in the performace of my S500. Lots of pics were washed out. I'm waiting to see what the pics from my buddy's Nikon look like.

Did you find your pic on http://www.moabactionshots.com? If you were there that day, you got shot by some girl under a blue umbrella.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
awesome pics.. thanks for sharing!!!!!! I have always wanted to go to moab.. damn i always want to go anywhere to ride

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Big_Papa1080 said:
<raises hand>

Although I haven't been packin' in quite some time..........

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
And here's a few more pics that Charlie took:

Me on Poison Spider:

Odd grave of 7 year old girl on Poison Spider. Not sure how legit it was:

Messin around at the Porc Rim overlook:

Amazing view from Porc Rim:

Ali at Bartlett Wash:

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
pixelninja said:
About what time was that?

What kind of camera do you have?

No clue. I did the stupid trail as a loop on my downhill bike. Yeah it sucked. The descent was fun though.

Camera? I used to have this really nice camera but it was stolen from my truck at a bike race once. So now it is disposables until I save the cash to get another Canon Rebel. Well another Canon. My first wasn't Rebel.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Did you see the girl with the broken leg or ankle bones? I stopped to help a little. So if you saw her we probably were on the trail at about the same time. I don't remember anyone from action shots though. Hmmm?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
pixelninja said:
What kind of camera do you have? I was a bit dissapointed in the performace of my S500. Lots of pics were washed out. I'm waiting to see what the pics from my buddy's Nikon look like.

Did you find your pic on http://www.moabactionshots.com? If you were there that day, you got shot by some girl under a blue umbrella.
nice pics, but if you set it for low contrast, high saturation, and to underexpose about -2/3 of a stop then you'll get the look you want. :thumb: