Quantcast

Place to ride within two hours of huntsville Al.

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
Hello everyone. I am a southern implant from the west coast ( a damn yankee as they say) and i am looking for places to ride in the south. I live in northern Alabama, in Madison county. I am looking for fun places to ride on my hardtail. minor drops fast lines ect. even riding the streets which i always loved to do is lacking here. not to many stairs to jump ect. I am not the hardcore just love a good ride. i am willing to trave a couple of hours for a good ride. I do go up to the smokies a couple of times a year, which is always fun. Yet i am looking for something a bit closer. Any sugestions would really be appreciated.

derrick

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
North East Mississippi
Hey CrazyGambit, here are 2 trails that are in your area that I've riden.
Oak Mtn State Park (Birmingham)
Munny Sokol outskirts of Tuscaloosa.
Cheaha Mt. Express, I have not been there, but I have been told it is a fast trail.Cheaha Mt. Express
And thanks for the compliments on my backyard track, it's 3 hours from Madison County.
I used to travel through Madison County about once a month when my daughter lived in Shelbyville, Tn.
derrick

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
Thanks Derrick.. Those look like fun places to check out.. I sure do appreciate it.. And that track does look like fun kinda far but if i am ever heading anywhere close i will need to check that out.. Thanks again. Sean

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
Someone was posting pics of really nice single track here not too long ago from that area. My wife is from Huntsville, have you been to Mont Sano? The only place I've ridden there...was descent, mostly roadie types..

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
Yeah Jerseydave i have been to mont sano its all right, just that.. always good to get outside though.. blazing through cottonfields are just as fun as mont sano.. I too see a lot of roadie types around here as well.. wish i would of saw the pics of the single tracks. i just came across this forum a week ago though. I am going to check out the oak mountain state park next weekend though if i don't have to work.. looks nice

derrick

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
North East Mississippi
My son has asked if we can go to Munny Sokol this weekend. He's ready to put his Trek 220 to the test on the M.S. trails. If so, we could be there sometime around noon.
I also talked to a MTB'r from Tuscaloosa, he said that the new trail at the Lake Lurline State Park (west of Northport) is a good hilly, technical single track.

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
You should have fun @ Munny Sokol. Mostly small ups and downs. No long extended climbs and you are always fairly close to the parking lot. And you can mesh the trails together to change the ride. Have not heard of the Lake Lurline State Park trail. Let me know how it is.

Will not be able to make the ride this weekend. Have a good one.

derrick

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
North East Mississippi
SpaZwEll said:
You should have fun @ Munny Sokol.
Yea, I've been 2 times. Once by myself & once with my son.
When we came upon that part of the trail with the really spooky forest part. My son said something to the effect of "DAD!!!, they find dead people in woods like this" :)
At the present, it's looking as if it's "a go" for tomorrow!

If you were closer to Phenix city, I'd recommend the trail of tears to ride. It'll slap a hurtin on you pretty good. But since your up north, dont worry about it. If you want to make the drive, there's a set of trails in Daltoin GA. Pinhoti north and south combine for abit over (I think) 40 miles of trials. Thats an A**whooper also.

Tanasi

Chimp
Jul 8, 2002
Nashville TN
Hami is in Nashville, TN (2hrs if your drive fast :) )
its just outside of Hickory Hollow Mall.

Chica is in Columbia TN near the Duck River.

Hami has more rocks & roots...bit more techie.