Quantcast

Places to stay in Willingen?

kaj

Chimp
Jun 4, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
A friend and I are going on a mtb-holiday to Willingen, Germany next week and so I would like some tips on places to stay there.
Of course they have to be
1) Mtb-friendly, i.e. opportunity to clean bike after ride, locked bike-parking room and such.
2) Reasonably inexpensive.
3) Within reasonable riding-distance to the fun riding spots and the Biker Cross area.

Come on guys, where have you been staying or what have you heard good and bad of, regarding the gasthauses and hotels in the Willingen area. Any help appreciated.

Greetings
Kenneth
------
"Es ist geil ein Arschloch zu sein,
wenn du ein Schwein bist, gehört dir alles allein" :-)

kaj

Chimp
Jun 4, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
-done that!

I already found some places in Willingen, but I dont know sh** about them other than their own ads on the net, so I thought that if someone else had some experience with any of the places then that might as well come to my advantage. :-)

Also, it could very well be that there were better and/or cheaper places than those that advertise on www.willingen.de and www.bike-willingen.de

I know that some of the RM-readers (must) have been to Willingen, so now is the time to share your knowledge to the benefit of fellow mtb'ers. ;o)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I was just in Willingen in June for the big bike festival. I stayed in the Ramada which is actually in Usselyn - about 6km from Willingen. It was pretty cheap, but you have to either drive the 6k or ride it. There were a billion places not far from the actual lifts where all the restaruants and shops were.

Have fun.

PGR

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
In the nabouring village, there is a Youth Hostel (Vandrehjem in Danish ;)), which is fairly cheap and very decent. If I remember correctly it's 30€ per night. Four man rooms with their own bathroom/toilet. Bike "garage".

Just get a "Vandre-pas". That makes it a little easier to get into the hostel. And better reserve before you go, just to make sure.

kaj

Chimp
Jun 4, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thats pretty stiff (for a youth hostel)!

Yesterday I booked a "doppelzimmer" with satellite tv and all the bells and whistles, on a mtb-friendly hotel with locked bike garage, bike washing place and incuding breakfast buffet for 25? a night pr. person.
We could've gotten an apartment for around 40-45? a night instead, but without the breakfast and satellite tv. :-)This seems to be the normal price level in the Willingen area - for the hotels that advertise on the net anyway.

So we are staying on the "Sonnenhof Willingen" for the duration of our three-day tour.
I'll post a "review" when we get back, so you'll know whether it is worth staying there.

Keep it up!

Greetings
Kenneth

PS: The ?-marks should've been the Euro character, but it seems to get lost somewhere between my pc and ridemonkey.com...

kaj

Chimp
Jun 4, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We stayed at Sonnenhof, which is a hotel with 6 apartments about 2 km's outside Willingen, but all downhill. :-) So it was easy to get home from town...

The place is very nice - we got a 50 sq. meters apartment in super condition, with 2 balcony's and a great classical german "frühstück" for 25 euro's a day each. Had we stayed more than 5 days, would it only have beed 35 euros a day for both!

The place is nice, with a mountain both in front of the house and in the backyard, so there is only 50 meters to the trail. Very nice indeed. There was a locked bicycle room in the basement, and we were allowed to bring the bikes to the room as well - if we wanted to. Also there was possibility to use the garden hose and hose the bikes down after the ride.

As a little funny detail, the place is owned by one of Germanys great xc-skiers, Jochen Behle - in all he has won 42 German championships in a bunch of different disciplines during the 80'ies and is now coaching the German national team...

The host on the hotel, Florian, was apparently an avid mountainbiker himself, and he offered to join us on a trip to show us some of the really good singletrails of the area - unfortunately we had to leave early, so we didn't get to go riding with him. Pretty sad, as I knnow it would have been great.
He was quite friendly and a very cool person in general, so that's also worth a recommendation.

The Sonnenhof aparently hosted the entire Scott Team (30-odd people) for the duration of the Willingen Bike Festival this year - something the bikedude-manager was quite enthusiastic about. :-)

So if you're going to Willingen, be sure to check it out at www.sonnenhof-willingen.de - even though it's officially outside Willingen...