Quantcast

Plainfield IL bike park

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
I haven't talked to Marley about this yet, but the paper said that there will be a dirt jam on june 27th

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
That looks pretty cool. But, am I reading that right? All the jumps are going to be tables? Kind of odd.
yeah, I agree, its not ideal, but due to safety conserns, the park district thought it would be less dangerous this way. I know that the NYC DJs had to do it like this as well

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
I believe plans are for it all to be dirt so no need to screw anything down. I know Marley was still shooting for that date as well.
Yeah, I saw that it was dirt. I just needed a reason to mention they get tornado's :-)

That is a great thing the park district is doing.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
Haha. Werd.

As for all being tables..... not ideal as stated but if thats what it takes to get a public place like this built then I am all for it. It will make it a lot safer too so the less bad media and insurance problems the better.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Who cares if they are all tables, if they have the dirt, sweet. Thats really the only reason to make doubles, less dirt=less digging.
Tables will allow those that can't jump the gap to just ride over the lip. I've never seen tables with steep and nicely shaped lips that last.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Mix a little concrete dust with the dirt, or talk to the ppl that run the track in Rockford. They have this stuff they have sprayed on the surface that makes it super hard, and it won't get muddy if it rains. Really trick, actually, and for this application it might be the best bet to help things last.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
yeah, thats the truth but there's not much we can do about it.
I don't know if you have any input on the design, or if you know someone that does, but check this out. One of my favorite bmx tracks back in the day had a jump similar to this. It had the steepest lip I have ever seen on a bmx track, but it was still safe for everyone. By making it a quick step-up, it encourages people to not roll over the lip and at least jump up to the flat part. And, the people that actually do jump the whole thing will like that it's a little bit of a step-up.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ya, it rides like dirt, just hard, frozen middle of winter kinda dirt. Go up and check it out, I think its Jack and Kandy who run it, awesome folks and I would think for something like this they could share the "secret recipe".

yesimaddicted

Monkey
Apr 28, 2007
centeral Euroland via CA
I don't know if you have any input on the design, or if you know someone that does, but check this out. One of my favorite bmx tracks back in the day had a jump similar to this. It had the steepest lip I have ever seen on a bmx track, but it was still safe for everyone. By making it a quick step-up, it encourages people to not roll over the lip and at least jump up to the flat part. And, the people that actually do jump the whole thing will like that it's a little bit of a step-up.

thats a great idea/design. makes lots of sense all the "public" parks i have ever been too none of the jumps give u much pop you have to do most of that by yourself