Quantcast

Planning a trip to Moab

Dec 26, 2007
Hankins, NY
I'm planning a two-week trip to Moab/Fruita for this April.:drool: It may be a once in a lifetime trip for me and I want to make it really count. I'd guess I'd classify as a strong intermediate skill/stamina- wise and I'd really appreciate any tips about the best trails to ride (and ones not to?) what to expect, and how to prepare so as to make it as rewarding as possible and come home a better rider. Thanks for any comments.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
slick rock - easy, fun, gotta do it. It's also on your way to porcupine
Porcupine rim
Soverign
GO SEE ARCHES- Hike to the Big O, Devil's kitchen I think is also on that hike
I've always wanted to ride Barlet's wash, which is a big sandstone shelf, like God made a skate park for MTB's
There is also a cool little road ride out of the local park Saturday morning- see poison spider for details.
Post some picks and vid, and don't make it once in a lifetime- every 2 to 5 years is a good fix for me.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
i third the porcupine rim.
i have not ridden sovereign, but i hear it is spectacular.
slickrock trail is a must, for thats why moab is famous. however,
i think that trail is way too strenuous for what it is, and prefer bartlett wash for the slick rock riding.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
I am doing a Utah trip this summer. Doing Moab and Little Cottonwood Canyon and possibly Deer Valley and Park City. I am doing more AM type stuff, and some DH. Not really freeride.

Dec 26, 2007
Hankins, NY
Thanks for the tips so far. johnny dh, I'm coming from the east (I live in upstate NY) and I like to ride aggressive all-mountain/light freeride. Anybody recommend a good place to camp?

sad panda

Monkey
May 5, 2005
Barlet Wash was awesome when I went last spring, and it will be an absolute must do on my next trip back.
Gemini Bridges via shuttle was pretty cool, although it is mostly on jeep road, and there is some flat riding towards the last half.
Porcupine rim was pretty cool, but a lot more uphill than I would have like to done on a 45 lb bike.

As for camping, there are a lot of campsites up Hal Canyon, I think it was $10 a night for ours (fire pit and grate, picnic table, toilets). Pretty close to downtown Moab, and relatively centrally located to rides. The bottom half of Porcupine rim emptied out about a half mile or so from our campsite.
Klondike Bluffs wasn't too bad riding up, and a lot of fun coming down. Plus, it is pretty awesome views at the top.

jonny dh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2007
under my feet
Thanks for the tips so far. johnny dh, I'm coming from the east (I live in upstate NY) and I like to ride aggressive all-mountain/light freeride. Anybody recommend a good place to camp?
boulder in nevada I hear is pretty fun and there are some places in zions, also here in cedar brianhead and bryce canyon are of good choice.my favorit right now is zions to brianhead I hope to go try out boulder in nevada here this summer.

Oct 9, 2006
Amasa Back to Jackson Singletrack...was one of my favorite loops. And Bartlett Wash should be considered a must, if not for the Mushroom Drop then for the awesome scenery!!

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
I am doing a Utah trip this summer. Doing Moab and Little Cottonwood Canyon and possibly Deer Valley and Park City. I am doing more AM type stuff, and some DH. Not really freeride.
Just curious why you list Little Cottonwood? It's not really a 'destination ride'...at least not that I know of. A locals quick hit, sure...but not something I've ever heard of people listing as a place they want to come ride in Utah. How/what/why'd you decide on that?

Oh and to the original poster...you've got the bases covered already. Flat Pass is another good one for your ability level, just make sure to shuttle it and avoid the 9-mile road ride to make it a loop.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Moab is awesome...I've been there last three years in a row for spring break. Here are some must-ride trails:

1. Porcupine Rim - go to the Chili Pepper bike shop and ask them to shuttle you to the top, not the normal drop-off point. It cuts off a 3-mile climb at the beginning, and gives you a lot more descent.

2. Poison Spider to Portal - Get ready to climb a lot, but the Portal descent is some of the gnarliest, rockiest terrain in Moab. Great fun, huge exposure, cliff-side riding. I highly recommend it, unless your afraid of heights!

3. Amasa Back - Great trail that climbs up a jeep road and winds up way out on a huge ridge...beautiful views, and there's a couple freeride features on the way up. Two 6-8 foot drops and a step-up. Once you reach the top, you can either come back down the way you came, or there is another descent that I can't remember...ask someone.

4. Slickrock - This is the classic. It's fun to jib around and find natural drops, rollers etc. Short loop is a couple miles, long loop is 14 miles. I did the long loop once on my VP Free and thought I was going to die. Lots of steep ups and downs. HARD on a DH/FR bike!

5. Bartlett Wash - Another fun "exploring" spot. Home of the famous mushroom drop. Lots of fun stuff here.

Those are my top five spots. If you're there for two weeks, you should have plenty of time to ride just about everything there. Another notable trail is Klondikes Bluff - Easier ride with a cool hike at the end overviewing Devil's garden in Arches.

Also definitely check out Arches on a rest day. Bring the camera! Have fun!

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA

Up The Creek Campground. It's right in town. You'd never even know that it's there. Clean, quiet, no cars allowed in. Everything's within walking dist.

Sorry to chime in so late, and sorry if someone already mentioned it.
Google it and call ahead to reserve.

When we went, we called ahead to Poison Spider for tips. (Always ask folks at a bike shop for tips such as this. Where to stay, food, etc. They're always ready to help other riders out.) Then, when in town, stop by and mention who you spoke to on the phone or who emailed you back and support the shop!
Up the Creek didn't even have a web site at the time and we would've NEVER known about it without the tip. The photos on their site are true to the captions. Not big at all (so, the need to reserve) but then again, a huge part of the appeal. We rode out of the campground, up the road, and onto Slickrock.
Just don't go the weekend of the Jeep Jamboree there! Lots of exhaust to deal with! ;-)

Edit: here it is www.moabupthecreek.com