Quantcast

Planning a trip to Whistler this year? Must Read.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Just saw this on MTBR and thought I would past the info along.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/23/MNGCAO9NSB1.DTL

Going to Canada? Check your past
Tourists with minor criminal records turned back at border
C.W. Nevius

Friday, February 23, 2007

Printable Version Email This Article
There was a time not long ago when a trip across the border from the United States to Canada was accomplished with a wink and a wave of a driver's license. Those days are over.

Take the case of 55-year-old Lake Tahoe resident Greg Felsch. Stopped at the border in Vancouver this month at the start of a planned five-day ski trip, he was sent back to the United States because of a DUI conviction seven years ago. Not that he had any idea what was going on when he was told at customs: "Your next stop is immigration.''

Felsch was ushered into a room. "There must have been 75 people in line," he says. "We were there for three hours. One woman was in tears. A guy was sent back for having a medical marijuana card. I felt like a felon with an ankle bracelet.''

Or ask the well-to-do East Bay couple who flew to British Columbia this month for an eight-day ski vacation at the famed Whistler Chateau, where rooms run to $500 a night. They'd made the trip many times, but were surprised at the border to be told that the husband would have to report to "secondary'' immigration.

There, in a room he estimates was filled with 60 other concerned travelers, he was told he was "a person who was inadmissible to Canada.'' The problem? A conviction for marijuana possession.

In 1975.

Welcome to the new world of border security. Unsuspecting Americans are turning up at the Canadian border expecting clear sailing, only to find that their past -- sometimes their distant past -- is suddenly an issue.

While Canada officially has barred travelers convicted of criminal offenses for years, attorneys say post-9/11 information-gathering, combined with a sweeping agreement between Canada and the United States to share data, has resulted in a spike in phone calls from concerned travelers.

They are shocked to hear that the sins of their youth might keep them out of Canada. But what they don't know is that this is just the beginning. Soon other nations will be able to look into your past when you want to travel there.

"It's completely ridiculous,'' said Chris Cannon, an attorney representing the East Bay couple, who asked that their names not be used because they don't want their kids to know about the pot rap. "It's a disaster. I mean, who didn't smoke pot in the '70s?''

We're about to find out. And don't think you are in the clear if you never inhaled. Ever get nabbed for a DUI? How about shoplifting? Turn around. You aren't getting in.

"From the time that you turn 18, everything is in the system,'' says Lucy Perillo, whose Canada Border Crossing Service in Winnipeg, Manitoba, helps Americans get into the country.

Canadian attorney David Lesperance, an expert on customs and immigration, says he had a client who was involved in a fraternity prank 20 years ago. He was on a scavenger hunt, and the assignment was to steal something from a Piggly Wiggly supermarket. He got caught, paid a small fine and was ordered to sweep the police station parking lot.

He thought it was all forgotten. And it was, until he tried to cross the border.

The official word from the Canadian Border Services Agency is that this is nothing more than business as usual. Spokesman Derek Mellon gets a little huffy when asked why the border has become so strict.

"I think it is important to understand that you are entering another country,'' Mellon says. "You are not crossing the street.''

OK, but something changed here, didn't it?

"People say, 'I've been going to Canada for 20 years and never had a problem,' '' Lesperance says. "It's classic. I say, 'Well, you've been getting away with it for 20 years.' ''

A prior record has always made it difficult to cross the border. What you probably didn't know was that, as the Canadian Consulate's Web site says, "Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offense in Canada.''

So it isn't as if rules have stiffened. But what has changed is the way the information is gathered. In the wake of 9/11, Canada and the United States formed a partnership that has dramatically increased what Lesperance calls "the data mining'' system at the border.

The Smart Border Action Plan, as it is known, combines Canadian intelligence with extensive U.S. Homeland Security information. The partnership began in 2002, but it wasn't until recently that the system was refined.

"They can call up anything that your state trooper in Iowa can,'' Lesperance says. "As Canadians and Americans have begun cooperating, all those indiscretions from the '60s are going to come back and haunt us.''

Now, there's a scary thought. But the irony of the East Bay couple's situation is inescapable. Since their rowdy days in the '70s, they have created and sold a publishing company, purchased extensive real estate holdings and own a $3 million getaway home in Lake Tahoe.

"We've done pretty well since those days,'' she says. "But what I wonder is how many other people might be affected.''

The Canadian Border Services Agency says its statistics don't show an increase in the number of travelers turned back. But Cannon says that's because the "data mining'' has just begun to pick up momentum.

"It is too new to say,'' he says. "Put it this way. I am one lawyer in San Francisco, and I've had four of these cases in the last two years, two since January. And remember, a lot of people don't want to talk about it (because of embarrassment).''

Asked if there were more cases, attorney Lesperance was emphatic.

"Oh, yeah,'' he says. "Just the number of calls I get has gone up. If we factor in the greater ability to discover these cases, it is just mathematically logical that we are going to see more.''

The lesson, the attorneys say, is that if you must travel to Canada, you should apply for "a Minister's Approval of Rehabilitation" to wipe the record clear.

Oh, and by the way, if you don't need to travel to Canada, don't think you won't need to clear your record. Lesperance says it is just a matter of time before agreements are signed with governments in destinations like Japan, Indonesia and Europe.

"This,'' Lesperance says, "is just the edge of the wedge.''

Who would have thought a single, crazy night in college would follow you around the world?

Rules for getting into Canada
For more information on offenses that prohibit entry to Canada, go to the Canadian Consulate's Web site at geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/seattle/visas/inadmissible-en.asp.

For more information on visiting Canada, go to cic.gc.ca.

C.W. Nevius' column appears regularly. His blog, C.W. Nevius.blog, can be found at SFGate.com. E-mail him at cwnevius@sfchronicle.com.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
That sucks, but luckily I'm clear.
I have a friend who ran into this years ago and it's nothing new. As long as you take care of it in advance there isn't a problem. As long as a certain amount of time has passed since the conviction (5 years I think) you just have to fill out some paperwork and pay a fee. It's probably a good revenue source for the government.

This sort of thing that causes problems for some is good for others. My wife, my son, and I breeze through the border these days with barely more than a couple of questions. We cross into Quebec to see relative and friends enough for them to know who we are, where were going and how many times we've been there in the last 3+ years.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
i've never been to bromont but i buddy of mine who has a dui is always nervous when he goes up because if they check he can't go to bromont. some freinds in college got turned down for the same reason and had to leave a member of thier party at the border.

maybe we should just start exercising the same policy on canadian tourists except we would lose a lot of canadas finer items that reign far supreme to us hosers down in the states damn qeebs

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
"Driving while under the influence of alcohol is regarded as an extremely serious offense in Canada.''

Thats funny. The only time I was stopped by the cops and had to blow a breathalyzer was in Canada. I had been drinking all day and didn't even have my driver's liscense. The cop said I passed and was told to go on my way. I think the cop did me a favor.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Thats funny. The only time I was stopped by the cops and had to blow a breathalyzer was in Canada. I had been drinking all day and didn't even have my driver's liscense. The cop said I passed and was told to go on my way. I think the cop did me a favor.
tell these guys...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
This is very true, a good friend of mine who is a geologist was on his way up to BC from seattle and was stopped at the border, he had gotten in a fight in college and they turned him away because of his record...I really didnt believe him at first...

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
if i had to say i would call BS on this one.... I think the person writing this article is pulling our collective legs.

something doesnt seem legal about this.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Yet if you come from China, Canada has(or had) some of the slackest immigration laws. Pretty much if you couldn't speak english you were welcome.

Still, it's worth the trouble to visit.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
When we ran races just across the border at Searchmont in Ontario, Canada, we had this problem at nearly every race. Someone would get stopped at the border and not be able to make it to the race.

Anyway, the deal is if you have a minor offense a long time ago, you can contact Canadian Immigrations and pay some big fee (hundreds of dollars) to get a back ground check done. If it comes back clean your good.

The funny thing is that they take DUI more seriously than just about anything else. Sault Ste Marie, ON has a 4'x8' sign just across the border listing everyone that has been arrested in the town for DUI in the last year. It also informs you of the one year in jail for DUI.

Poncho78

Chimp
Nov 28, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Canadians aren't allowed to go to the U.S. if we have a criminal record either guys. If you screw up you pay the price. I like the whole "everybody smoked pot" arguement quoted in that article. That is some solid lawyering. "Awww geeze man, everybody did it!". Sweet.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
ask mr heath sherratt about that..got turned away last year for things over 20 years old..with the wife in tow....hence why no master worlds.

Take off Eh!?

Man, I have a DUI and a shoplifting charge. So I can never ride Whistler?
The shoplifting charge was when I was 12yo. I even got in the paper picking out xmas presents for my bro while I was doing it.
Maybe there is a shorcut thru Montana....or Minnesota

WTF?!!

I mean I can understand, but a 30 yo possesion charge?

Paul McCarntey got busted in japan with pot on him and didn't have to go to jail...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
And take your passport. I hadn't been to Canada for a few years until my Whistler trip last summer. They almost denied us all for not having our US passports with us. We still got through the WA-BC border, but passport would have made it much easier.

-r

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
I hold dual citizen ship card. Canadian mother American father. I was in Vacouver last year and my brother was going to meet my wife and I for dinner, he was comming up from Bellingham. He called us after he was late to say that his wife was unable to pass through because of a DUI. Bro had one to, but inside they said he could enter no problem. He's 1/2 Canadian and has the citizen card. I thank Mom and DAd because it is big beautiful country.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
if i had to say i would call BS on this one.... I think the person writing this article is pulling our collective legs.

something doesnt seem legal about this.
If you think that this is BS, you are full of S&%t. I got turned around and spent the better part of 2 days to get into the country for the Masters WC. In the end 200 CDN got me in. Until they issue a formal apology I am leving economic sanctions against the Canadian Government.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
what about airlines? do they do these checks at customs at Vancouver international airport? i have a DWi from'93 but do no plan on doing any driving while in whistler.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The database for flying is much more extensive, they seem to be less strict on nonsense however. You require your passport as of January on all flights in and out of Canada and the USA.

This is part of the reason canada got so strict, ridiculous new US regs that have thrown the passport office here into chaos - Canada has decided to reciprocate.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
My last Canadian border crossing interrogation:
"Where are you headed, sir?"
"Surrey."
"How long?"
"Just for the day."
"Where do you ride in Surrey?"
"At the bike park in the South Surrey Recreational Complex."
"Do you guys ride those crazy drop things in the back?"
"Yup, still working on the two biggest ones!"
"That's too crazy for me, have a nice ride."

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
haha, you drive from shoreline to our lame bike park in south surrey? I used to live in kenmore, wa, and If I was going to drive that far north, I'd head to the shore
Heh...When did you live in kenmore? That's where I used to live...

I drove to Whistler on almost a weekly basis from Seattle with passport in tow...I think the most prying question was, "How much beer is in that cooler?" Answer: "A case." Reply: "Pin it." <---No joke!

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Heh...When did you live in kenmore? That's where I used to live...

I drove to Whistler on almost a weekly basis from Seattle with passport in tow...I think the most prying question was, "How much beer is in that cooler?" Answer: "A case." Reply: "Pin it." <---No joke!
Ha, I hear ya, the last time I went into Canada we were following our buddies up:

Patrollman - "Hold it right there, the guys ahead of you said you were stashing weed in your downtubes"
Me - "...oh my god..."
Patrollman - "Nah i'm just messin' with ya, have a good one"

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
shoplifting...ouch. Me and my stupid skater buddies...
I know that for a Canadian coming to the US this is only a problem with a felony conviction. I've checked this with the US border patrol because my brother-in-law has what would be considered a misdemeanor and is all nervous about trying to cross into the US. I'm pretty sure it's the same for an American going into Canada.

PeteThomas

Chimp
May 24, 2004
Slightly OT, but I'm always surprised by the US view on drunk driving (UK name for DUI). Over here it's completely socially unacceptable because of the risk you pose to innocent passers by, but it seems like its no big deal in the US.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
haha, you drive from shoreline to our lame bike park in south surrey? I used to live in kenmore, wa, and If I was going to drive that far north, I'd head to the shore

It's a great skills-building area for my wife, and never fails to entertain for a couple of hours. Don't knock it, freeride and dh are essentially completely illegal down here, you're lucky to have that near you!

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Is there anyway of doing a pre-travel check to see if you would be turned back? It would really suck to spend all the money for a trip, coming from California, only to be denied :plthumbsdown:

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
Is there anyway of doing a pre-travel check to see if you would be turned back? It would really suck to spend all the money for a trip, coming from California, only to be denied :plthumbsdown:
Call the BIS 1 800 461-9999. It is an automated line but you can get through to an agent if you go through the menu. It is suprisingly not bad for contacting a gov agency. They can give you info on waivers and whatnot (if necessary).

Last year I went to Whistler with my dog...since he was just a puppy I wanted to make sure I was in compliance so I called them up and got all the info.

...that said, I think the chances of getting through are good. I have a couple friends with some pretty serious records (not no petty weed violations) and they seem to be able to get back and forth pretty well. In the 8 times or so I have crossed the border I haven't ever had an agent take more than a quick glance at my ID.

Next year with the passport regs though that may change...

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
I've visited, lived in or worked in about 50 countries. The ONLY border I've ever had a problem was the Canadian side of the BC overland border, travelling there in 1995 with a friend who now runs Tonic Fab. We got hassled, but we got in. Never had a problem with Nigeria, Laos, Indonesia, Burkina Faso, Senegal, China, Russia, etc.