Quantcast

Plant based for the haters

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I tried no dairy 2 years ago, that didn't work. I could go without eating dead animals long before I would ever consider no dairy again.
These tacos are pretty good with the vegan chorizo:
Crispy Potato and Chorizo Tacos Recipe (seriouseats.com)
We made these soy chorizo tacos a few weeks back:

https://www.simplyveganized.com/post/ultimate-soy-chorizo-sweet-potato-tacos-with-avocado-cilantro-crema

We went looking for other similar recipes because of your post. The J. Kenji López-Alt ones looked good but we wanted to see if there was anything that looked better. Teh Spousal Unit™ liked the looks of the recipe above, they were fantastic.

Made stuffed peppers last night… pretty easy to go full veg or even vegan with a stuffed pepper. And IMNSHO something like sausage crumbles (and chorizo) is more about the spices and the texture than the fact that it’s “meat” or not, so I think a seitan or other “thing that pretends to be meat” works pretty well.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

https://www.simplyveganized.com/post/ultimate-soy-chorizo-sweet-potato-tacos-with-avocado-cilantro-crema

We went looking for other similar recipes because of your post. The J. Kenji López-Alt ones looked good but we wanted to see if there was anything that looked better. Teh Spousal Unit™ liked the looks of the recipe above, they were fantastic.

Made stuffed peppers last night… pretty easy to go full veg or even vegan with a stuffed pepper. And IMNSHO something like sausage crumbles (and chorizo) is more about the spices and the texture than the fact that it’s “meat” or not, so I think a seitan or other “thing that pretends to be meat” works pretty well.

Dang, those both look great. I'd try those soy chorizo tacos in a heartbeat, but I'd probably end up with a non-vegan cream because we're weirdos. Same with the stuffed peppers, but they look healthy and that's a good start.

We ended up doing a jamaican lentil curry, which was great aside from the diarrhea it gave my wife and I last night:

My assumption is from some funky coconut milk, and not because it's vegan :-))

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Dang, those both look great. I'd try those soy chorizo tacos in a heartbeat, but I'd probably end up with a non-vegan cream because we're weirdos. Same with the stuffed peppers, but they look healthy and that's a good start.
Eh, y'ain't weird. Go with what ya got, and if non-dairy "cheese" ain't cutting it so be it... cutting back on processed garbage and food that's high in fat is already lapping everyone inhaling a Moons Over My Hammy at Denny's. I think the goal is to be "plant strong" — at least in our house. We were at the neighbor's last night becuase we're gonna look after their dogs for a bit, and we chatted about what we're having for dinner. The neighbor says "Are you guys vegan?" and I'm like "FUCK no." jaja but we do eat really plant strong. And we're pretty dairy free, Teh Spousal Unit™ doesn't do well with dairy at all. She gets a lot of inflammation and mucous and such. So, lots of almond and coconut milks and creams. Doesn't really affect me at all, and if a recipe calls for really GOOD cheese we still eat it. All the shit in moderation, especially the moderation.

We ended up doing a jamaican lentil curry, which was great aside from the diarrhea it gave my wife and I last night:

My assumption is from some funky coconut milk, and not because it's vegan :-))
Dude, that curry looks rad. I'll send that to the wife for consideration in the next few weeks, looks like good cold weather food. Curry, garam masala, cumin, and paprika? Fuck yeah.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

my favorite stuffed peppers I use poblano peppers, I roast them first. then add whatever you want - i like rice, corn, onion, beans, cheese. meat optional.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Eh, y'ain't weird. Go with what ya got, and if non-dairy "cheese" ain't cutting it so be it... cutting back on processed garbage and food that's high in fat is already lapping everyone inhaling a Moons Over My Hammy at Denny's. I think the goal is to be "plant strong" — at least in our house. We were at the neighbor's last night becuase we're gonna look after their dogs for a bit, and we chatted about what we're having for dinner. The neighbor says "Are you guys vegan?" and I'm like "FUCK no." jaja but we do eat really plant strong. And we're pretty dairy free, Teh Spousal Unit™ doesn't do well with dairy at all. She gets a lot of inflammation and mucous and such. So, lots of almond and coconut milks and creams. Doesn't really affect me at all, and if a recipe calls for really GOOD cheese we still eat it. All the shit in moderation, especially the moderation.

Dude, that curry looks rad. I'll send that to the wife for consideration in the next few weeks, looks like good cold weather food. Curry, garam masala, cumin, and paprika? Fuck yeah.
Yeah, I think we're at a bit of an impass. I would be comfortable reducing cream/milk consumption down to a minimum. I haven't found a suitable non-dairy creamer yet, and cheese is delicious, but cheese and mayo are such calorie rich components that it's kind of bananas. Meanwhile, my wife could probably skip 95% of meat and go full pescetarian, but I like my steak and burgers and shit. So, as you mentioned above, going "plant heavy" where we can is a decent path forward.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh yeah, don't skimp on the spice with that lentil curry. It's pretty bland without the scotch bonnet and needed a healthy dose of hot sauce. I try to make food weak so I can spice it up and my wife/kids can go without.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> if a recipe calls for really GOOD cheese we still eat it. All the shit in moderation, especially the moderation.
This is so key. Life's too short to eat shitty cheese. Nice thing about good cheese is it's so delicious and filling that you don't generally *need* to eat a bunch of it. (I'm lookin' at you, Gorgonzola picante)

Dammit. I've bookmarked this bitch 'cause it sounds delicious.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
my favorite stuffed peppers I use poblano peppers, I roast them first. then add whatever you want - i like rice, corn, onion, beans, cheese. meat optional.
Ooh... stuffed poblano... I like it. Gonna make a note of that in our recipe spreadsheet.

Yes, we have a recipe spreadsheet.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
they have more flavor than a regular bell pepper for sure. roasting them makes a huge difference, i'd recommend not skipping that part.
For our stuffed peppers we make the filling, stuff it in the peppers, and then roast/bake the whole thing stuffed in the oven for like 45 minutes. Do you do that AND pre-roast the poblanos?