Quantcast

Plant based for the haters

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hi all,
I am going to try and incorporate more plant-based meals in the new year. I love me some meat, but I probably don't need to be eating as much red meat as I do (which is already reduced from previous years). I am hoping to reduce our carbon footprint as well as get healthier...all the processed shit I eat is probably a bad idea too. Same with dairy.

I am hoping to collect some non-shitty recipes with reduced or no dairy, that are vegetarian or use only a minimal amount of meat. Any suggestions?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like to roast asparagus in the convection oven at 400 for 8 minutes or so. While hot toss in a pan with a little bit of butter, salt, pepper and a little lime juice. Pretty damn tasty and makes for some good poopin'.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
beans and lentils. lots of good recipes with both. i have an indian cookbook which is largely vegetarian.

one thing i really like doing is just cooking some veggies (usually peppers onions mushrooms) in the cast iron skillet and making a taco or burrito with it. sometimes spruce it up with jalapenos, tomatoes, other things. i add cheese, but if you're looking to cut dairy you can skip it.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
wife made a really good vegetarian chili in the pressure cooker last week using sweet potatoes. I'll see if I can find the recipe.

we have sauteed tofu over ramen noodles with sauteed veggies (usually onions, mushrooms, and peppers) tossed in and a ginger-sesame-garlic soy sauce once a week which is pretty good too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Little pizzas using portabello mushrooms as the crust. Damn tasty and the shrooms are much better for you than a flour based crust.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
poblano peppers are great for roasting & stuffing. much more flavorful than bell peppers. i usually roast them about 10 min, flipping halfway, to get them good and roasted (skin will blister) then stuff with whatever you want and cook again until heated through. i'll do onions mushrooms peppers tomatoes corn beans rice, whatever i have on hand.

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Easy Roasted Broccoli

• Step 1
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  • Step 2
    Cut broccoli florets from the stalk. Peel the stalk and slice into 1/4-inch slices. Mix florets and stem pieces with olive oil in a bowl and transfer to a baking sheet; season with salt and pepper.
  • Step 3
    Roast in the preheated oven until broccoli is tender and lightly browned, about 18 minutes. I flip them after ten mins.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Black bean salad, can get fancy and use fresh ingredients but also super easy to make with canned ingredients

Black beans
sweet corn
diced tomatoes
diced jalapenos
cilantro
bit of olive oil
lime juice
cayenne pepper
dash of cumin

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We've been cooking out of this book for a while. Not vegetarian, though there are meat free recipes in it, but vegetable forward. By that, I mean the veg is the focus and the main part of the meal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Easy Roasted Broccoli

• Step 1
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  • Step 2
    Cut broccoli florets from the stalk. Peel the stalk and slice into 1/4-inch slices. Mix florets and stem pieces with olive oil in a bowl and transfer to a baking sheet; season with salt and pepper.
  • Step 3
    Roast in the preheated oven until broccoli is tender and lightly browned, about 18 minutes. I flip them after ten mins.
roasted cauliflower too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i am a big fan of thai curry. uses coconut milk, not dairy. add a can of maesri curry paste and whatever veggies you want. serve with rice or noodles.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Little pizzas using portabello mushrooms as the crust. Damn tasty and the shrooms are much better for you than a flour based crust.
wife doesn't like mushrooms. I imagine a portabello burger is pretty tasty too, even as "not-a-substitute"

Black bean salad, can get fancy and use fresh ingredients but also super easy to make with canned ingredients

Black beans
sweet corn
diced tomatoes
diced jalapenos
cilantro
bit of olive oil
lime juice
cayenne pepper
dash of cumin
One of my favorities. Add avocadoes and sometimes a little cotija cheese and that's my jam.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
beans and lentils. lots of good recipes with both. i have an indian cookbook which is largely vegetarian.

one thing i really like doing is just cooking some veggies (usually peppers onions mushrooms) in the cast iron skillet and making a taco or burrito with it. sometimes spruce it up with jalapenos, tomatoes, other things. i add cheese, but if you're looking to cut dairy you can skip it.
I'm looking to lean heavy on beans and lentils. I love both. I found a couple of good recipes leveraging lentils that I intend on making.

Trying to reduce cheese, but me:meat as wife:cheese, so we're not getting rid of it. Still, lowering the amount of dairy I eat would be just fine with me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm looking to lean heavy on beans and lentils. I love both. I found a couple of good recipes leveraging lentils that I intend on making.

Trying to reduce cheese, but me:meat as wife:cheese, so we're not getting rid of it. Still, lowering the amount of dairy I eat would be just fine with me.
i've got some good lentil recipes, let me go through my cook books.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I like to roast asparagus in the convection oven at 400 for 8 minutes or so. While hot toss in a pan with a little bit of butter, salt, pepper and a little lime juice. Pretty damn tasty and makes for some good poopin'.
This is good and easy to do with lots of veggies.

Only up to your imagination how to season/spice it.

Roasted broccoli is good..

:edit: should have read a few more posts.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I once did a tray of roasted cauliflower and shiitake mushrooms, then topped it with some gruyere until it got melty.

Chefskiss.gif

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Similar:

Toss the hot veg in a pan with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a couple tablespoons of good balsamic vinegar. Throw on some feta cheese at the end and serve it up.

Also - the veg options I've tried on this website have all been good: https://www.italianfoodforever.com/

Oh - these grilled/marinated peppers are fantastic: https://www.italianfoodforever.com/2020/07/grilled-peppers-with-gorgonzola-crumbles-pine-nuts/

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Tostones

Twice fried Plantan (in Olive (regular not virgin or extra virgin as those burn) or Canola Oil)

peel the plantan and cut into 1" long sections soak in warm water for 30 minutes with crushed and chopped garlic, onion power and some kosher salt. Drain. I added the garlic from the soaking to the oil. use a medium to high heat, use enough oil to make the depth 1/2" add the plantan cook for 3 minutes on a side until slightly golden. remove from oil and set the plantan in in a bowl. You will need to crush the plantan flat. I used a tortilla press but a wood coaster or the bottom of a jar will do. leave it about 1/8" thick. Toss the flattened plantan back in the oil and fry for a minute on each side. remove and blot off the oil, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. I served it drizzled in garlic butter
IMG_20220105_151836303.jpg
IMG_20220105_160847207.jpg
IMG_20220105_160853982.jpg
IMG_20220105_164859688a.jpg
IMG_20220105_160850960.jpg

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One of our rotation meals is vegan sausages we get from the grocery store. They're really good, but I wasn't about to look through the trash for the packaging after we'd had them last night. I will try to remember to get a photo next shop.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Tostones

Twice fried Plantan (in Olive (regular not virgin or extra virgin as those burn) or Canola Oil)

peel the plantan and cut into 1" long sections soak in warm water for 30 minutes with crushed and chopped garlic, onion power and some kosher salt. Drain. I added the garlic from the soaking to the oil. use a medium to high heat, use enough oil to make the depth 1/2" add the plantan cook for 3 minutes on a side until slightly golden. remove from oil and set the plantan in in a bowl. You will need to crush the plantan flat. I used a tortilla press but a wood coaster or the bottom of a jar will do. leave it about 1/8" thick. Toss the flattened plantan back in the oil and fry for a minute on each side. remove and blot off the oil, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. I served it drizzled in garlic butter
View attachment 169952View attachment 169953View attachment 169954View attachment 169956
That shit sounds *killer* good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hi all,
I am going to try and incorporate more plant-based meals in the new year. I love me some meat, but I probably don't need to be eating as much red meat as I do (which is already reduced from previous years). I am hoping to reduce our carbon footprint as well as get healthier...all the processed shit I eat is probably a bad idea too. Same with dairy.

I am hoping to collect some non-shitty recipes with reduced or no dairy, that are vegetarian or use only a minimal amount of meat. Any suggestions?
Well, beer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
One of our rotation meals is vegan sausages we get from the grocery store. They're really good, but I wasn't about to look through the trash for the packaging after we'd had them last night. I will try to remember to get a photo next shop.
I am so on the fence regarding vegan/veg meat replacements. On the one hand, what a brilliant idea, on the other, I know it'll never be the real thing, and getting a nice healthy bean salad that fills the belly sounds pretty decent too. I suppose I will take the suggestion and give it a shot! We have a local whole foods so I can get things like high quality meat replacements and tempeh and whatever else.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jenn is vegan, so any of our shared meals have no meat.

A few of my favorites that she makes are below. The sesame noodles are particularly awesome.

Sesame Noodles (can be served hot or cold)
  • 1 lb soba noodles or whole-wheat spaghetti noodles
  • ½ cup raw sesame seeds
  • 2/3 cup reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about half of a medium cabbage)
  • 4-5 carrots, peeled and sliced into ribbons with vegetable peeler (~2 cups)
  • 2 red bell peppers, sliced into very thin strips (~2 cups)
  • 1 package frozen edamame, steamed (~2 cups)
  • 1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
Directions:
  1. Toast the sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring often (keep an eye on them, as they can burn quickly). Once they’re fragrant and turning golden, transfer them to a small bowl and set aside.​
  2. In another bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. Whisk until blended. Set aside.​
  3. Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain and return to pan.​
  4. Lightly stir-fry (~10 minutes) the veggies in a skillet with a bit of olive oil until al dente. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook for an additional minute.​
  5. Add veggies (about 10 cups total) and sauce to the pot of cooked noodles and stir well. Stir in toasted sesame seeds, green onions, and cilantro.​

Paella

• 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 6 gloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
  • 2 cups short-grain brown rice
  • 1 cup dried red lentils (uncooked) [can also use 1 ¼ cups cooked chickpeas (1/2 cup dry beans)]
  • 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
  • ~20 saffron threads, crushed and soaked
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 cans (14 oz) quartered artichokes
  • 2 red bell peppers, sliced into long half-inch-wide strips
  • 1 bunch of asparagus
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 ½ cups frozen peas (cooked in microwave)
  • black pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Arrange oven racks in upper & lower thirds of oven, ensuring enough space for skillet* on bottom rack. Preheat to 350 degrees.​
  2. Crush saffron threads and soak in 1/3 cup warm vegetable stock for 20–30 minutes.​
  3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, ~5 minutes.​
  4. Stir in garlic & paprika; cook until fragrant (~30 sec). Stir in tomatoes and cook until mixture thickens slightly (~2 mins). Stir in rice and cook until well-coated (~1 min). Stir in red lentils, broth, saffron & salt.​
  5. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover pan and transfer to lower oven rack. Bake undisturbed until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (50–55 minutes).​
  6. On a baking sheet, toss bell peppers, asparagus and artichokes with ~3 tbsp olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Spread evenly across pan and roast 40 – 45 minutes on upper rack, until tender and slightly brown around the edges.​
  7. Remove veggies and paella from oven when finished. To skillet: add ¼ cup fresh parsley, lemon juice, black pepper, roasted veggies, and peas (cooked in microwave). Toss to combine and serve.​
*note: use oven-safe skillet/Dutch oven – at least 6 qts, 12-inch diameter w/ snug-fitting lid​

Spanish Rice

Ingredients:

• 2 cups brown (or basmati) rice (dry)
  • 1 ½ cups black beans (dry)
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeño pepper
  • 2 cups frozen corn
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • ½ tsp ground red pepper
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
  • 3 cups water (or vegetable stock)
  • juice of one lime
  • black pepper and fresh cilantro (to taste)
Directions:
  1. Rinse and soak rice in water for ~15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside.​
  2. Cook black beans for ~40 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside.​
  3. In large skillet, sauté the carrot, onion, and bell pepper in olive oil for about 5 minutes, until tender. Add jalapeño, frozen corn and spices, and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute, until fragrant.​
  4. Stir in the soaked rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes.​
  5. Add crushed tomatoes and liquid; mix and cook covered over medium heat for 10 minutes.​
  6. Reduce heat to low and cook covered for an additional 10 minutes.​
  7. Turn off heat and let rice sit covered for 10-15 minutes, until liquid is completely reduced.​
  8. Stir in black beans, cilantro, lime juice, and black pepper; serve.​
[note: total cooking time for veggies + rice = 40-45 minutes]​

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Been making a lot of Pho lately. Heavy on the sprouts and little to no meat. Enough flavor in the broth that I don't need a protein, may actually try some tofu in it next time.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I am so on the fence regarding vegan/veg meat replacements. On the one hand, what a brilliant idea, on the other, I know it'll never be the real thing, and getting a nice healthy bean salad that fills the belly sounds pretty decent too. I suppose I will take the suggestion and give it a shot! We have a local whole foods so I can get things like high quality meat replacements and tempeh and whatever else.
We've tried many of the veggie sausage options and these are the first ones we've found that are really good and we "like" to have.

We initially started reducing our meat intake by doing "meat free Monday". Now there's probably a couple of days per week.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We've tried many of the veggie sausage options and these are the first ones we've found that are really good and we "like" to have.

We initially started reducing our meat intake by doing "meat free Monday". Now there's probably a couple of days per week.
My wife went red meat-free for most of last year. I feel a little bad because I wasn't on board then, but it helped me reduce my meat intake and now I see the real thing can be done. I think we'll still eat quite a bit of fish, but I think we can re-envision meals from "Meat (pork loin, sausage, etc.) + sides and instead toward "one bowl" alternatives which will make me miss it less.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My wife went red meat-free for most of last year. I feel a little bad because I wasn't on board then, but it helped me reduce my meat intake and now I see the real thing can be done. I think we'll still eat quite a bit of fish, but I think we can re-envision meals from "Meat (pork loin, sausage, etc.) + sides and instead toward "one bowl" alternatives which will make me miss it less.
I eat meat. All kinds. But with Jenn being vegan, I eat probably 70% vegetarian now. To be honest, most of the time I don't think about it - it's just the new normal. I still like meat, still get it when we eat out, grill at home from time to time, but it was surprisingly easy to cut the vast majority of it out of my diet.

A huge number of our meals are "one bowl" meals.

Some others that are in our regular rotation (if any of them sound good I'll post the recipe): black-eyed pea gumbo, chana masala, pineapple fried rice, burrito bowls with peanut sauce and mango salsa, sweet potato & spinach dal... Plus some curries and black bean salads (already mentioned above).

@binary visions reminds me - stirfry is a *perfect* thing to cook and eliminate meat. So easy to get great flavor without using any meatses...
We don't travel with one but when we were parked in Washington for several months, I bought one and left it there when we left.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Tried the sesame noodle recipe. Not bad! I think I would toss the aromatics in first and reduce the lime by half, but citrus isn't my favorite. Very filling and a great start to this adventure.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Jeezus. That's a shit way to end the week. :mad:

View attachment 170325

Dude... come on... :disgust:

Are you gonna join the "I ain't got 'Rona yet" pool??

So you *didn't* actually want to know? Or perhaps you already knew?

Seems the efficacy of the rapid tests is a bit hit-n-miss - you might at least consider getting a PCR... though I'm not sure you can even get through those lines at the present time?

My work has auto-updates that do this shit on occasion. I've started taking to putting my laptop in "Sleep" mode when I finish the work-day... 'cause fuck those auto-reboots. :mad:
You high? :rofl: :busted: