Quantcast

Plant based for the haters

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
waaaaaaaaa?

Tried some non-dairy half and half. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? It wasn't even creamy. It made my coffee watery and almondy. Fuck. Any suggestions for a non-dairy creamer that doesn't just make my coffee wet?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
We cook veggo at least several times a week these days, and I've cut out most dairy from my diet as well. We'll still eat meat, and I'll have good cheese or some other dairy occasionally but mostly we're trying to watch the fats and such. The Well Plated site someone posted is one that we cook from pretty regularly, lots of good stuff there. Some of our favorites from there and other places are below:

Well Plated:

Oh She Glows:

Misc Veggie recipes we like:

We made this a few weeks ago for the first time and it CRUSHED, so tasty:

One of our rotation meals is vegan sausages we get from the grocery store. They're really good, but I wasn't about to look through the trash for the packaging after we'd had them last night. I will try to remember to get a photo next shop.
We do this quite a bit as well, and throw the cut up veg sausages into a skillet with sliced/diced zucchini, yellow squash, onions. Add some eye-talian seasoning and a can of crushed tomatoes, serve over your choice of pasta (we usually go with rice-based or whole grain). Super easy, and tasty. Oh, and sometimes we'll skip the pasta and go with spaghetti squash. Veggietastic.

I am so on the fence regarding vegan/veg meat replacements. On the one hand, what a brilliant idea, on the other, I know it'll never be the real thing, and getting a nice healthy bean salad that fills the belly sounds pretty decent too. I suppose I will take the suggestion and give it a shot! We have a local whole foods so I can get things like high quality meat replacements and tempeh and whatever else.
Teh Spousal Unit™ and I regularly make dishes with either Beyond Beef or Impossible Burger, including actual "burgers" at times. It's pretty dang decent. Some things we make with beef alternates that are awesome:

The best veggie chili I've ever had, rivals meat chili IMHO. We make it in a crockpot and add beyond beef, sweet potatoes can be substituted for butternut squash, add whatever the fuck you want. So damn good, the cinnamon makes it.

waaaaaaaaa?

Tried some non-dairy half and half. WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? It wasn't even creamy. It made my coffee watery and almondy. Fuck. Any suggestions for a non-dairy creamer that doesn't just make my coffee wet?
SO Delicious coconut creamer is our go-to.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We do this quite a bit as well, and throw the cut up veg sausages into a skillet with sliced/diced zucchini, yellow squash, onions. Add some eye-talian seasoning and a can of crushed tomatoes, serve over your choice of pasta (we usually go with rice-based or whole grain). Super easy, and tasty. Oh, and sometimes we'll skip the pasta and go with spaghetti squash. Veggietastic.
Kind of similar to our version, broccoli, carrot, tomatoes mixed with the cut up sausage over pasta.

I haven't forgotten @Sandwich that I was going to post the type we get. But right now the main Kroger based grocery chains are all on strike and the others are struggling to keep up combined with supply issues.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
waaaaaaaaa?

Do you have this stuff down there?

Nothing beats some good old cow juice, but this stuff isn't too bad.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Mine is "better half" almond and coconut creamer. I'm giving it another shot tomorrow, I wonder if I just didn't shake it enough...but I fucking hated it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It ain't never gonna be as good as a proper dairy product... you need to try to get past trying to compare them.
Or just realize that an ounce of milk now and then ain't no big deal.
You're trying to convince a devout meat eater that an ounce of half and half isn't that big of a deal...
I figured it's worth a shot to cut out as much dairy where I can. I'm maybe lactose sensitive, probably not intolerant, so it might help my digestion. The cost was relatively similar, and if the flavor or consistency were there, I'd be gold...but yeah this isn't the hill to die on. I'm just shocked at how bad my first attempt was.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Good luck convincing anyone of that.

I buy heavy whipping cream by the 1/2 gallon, so you're preaching to the choir. :D
This is why I could never do Vegan. We were pretty strict vegetarians for a long time, and we still don't eat a lot of meat, but you can pry my coffees half/half from my cold, dead, hands.

Also, goddamn do I love cheese.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You're trying to convince a devout meat eater that an ounce of half and half isn't that big of a deal...
I figured it's worth a shot to cut out as much dairy where I can. I'm maybe lactose sensitive, probably not intolerant, so it might help my digestion. The cost was relatively similar, and if the flavor or consistency were there, I'd be gold...but yeah this isn't the hill to die on. I'm just shocked at how bad my first attempt was.
Instead of cream or some weird coconut juice, what about a little 0% milk?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Or just realize that an ounce of milk now and then ain't no big deal.
Or you become an adult* and drink black coffee.

*I hate coffee and only drink energy drinks, I'd look funny in my white Oakleys drinking a coffee.

EDIT- I had to live with vegans a few years ago, I gained a lot of weight having two dinners almost every night.
The Linda McCartney frozen products are dreadful, I almost threw up trying to get my way through a second one of these patties-
1642808428728.png

If I'm going to have something vegan I like lots of pearl barley in it, has a nice flavor and gives you something to actually chew on.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It is very rare for me to eat anything sweet, but dammit I need sugar and dairy in my coffee.
In Australia the brick layer's breakfast is a bottle of iced coffee, maybe try that? You get a measured amount of caffeine and can't burn yourself.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am not participating in a plant-based diet. However, I eat way more fruits and veggies. Eating veggies is my basic requirement. I add Fruit when I can get the good stuff. This has regulated my Blood Pressure and Cholesterol. I have maintained my weight. I just feel better.