• 1 (12 ounce) package vegetarian "burger" crumbles
  • 3 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added kidney beans, drained/rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added garbanzo beans, drained/rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added black beans, drained/rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can no-salt-added whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green chili peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.
  • 2. Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with chili powder and pepper. Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes before serving.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
@Sandwich, I tried a bunch of non-dairy creamer alternatives and nothing works as well as oat milk. Specifically, Oatly brand, full fat oat milk. Very creamy, and no coconut or other weird aftertaste. I don't miss half and half at all.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@Sandwich, I tried a bunch of non-dairy creamer alternatives and nothing works as well as oat milk. Specifically, Oatly brand, full fat oat milk. Very creamy, and no coconut or other weird aftertaste. I don't miss half and half at all.
Thanks! My wife also tried the coconut/almond blend creamer and hated it. It started to grow on me as I was without my real stuff for a couple of days, but it never got the same texture- it always tasted watered down even if the flavor of the coffee wasn't bad. I'd like to try again, as the idea of reducing my dairy intake is tight.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Tried this: https://www.rosalynndaniels.com/bbq-lentils-over-cheese-grits/

Really liked it, with some exceptions. We de-veganized it with milk, butter, and cheese instead of fake milk, fake butter, and fake cheese. The only thing I'd change here is to be very careful about your BBQ sauce, or make your own. I loved the lentils but the whole dish tasted like the ass-ey sweet baby ray's sauce I used. I think doing tomato paste, vinegar, blah blah wouldn't be that hard.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nice. I am miserable at plant based but doing pretty well with vegetarian. If I could quit junk food I'd be in great shape (physically and in terms of maintaining the diet)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I like Scrapple and Pork Roll. Not that Kidney or Blood sausage is not very tasty also. I eat headcheese to qualify. Rendered and congealed collagens are some my favorite proteins.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Do you not like salads? Fucking Salads are delicious. So, you can't get the good tomatoes? Then use some other vegetable. I dare you to eat a whole bowl of salad. And not be awesome the next day.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Still trying. I feel great when I reduce the meat and cheese. Probably centered around processed foods in general, but I also end up with MASSIVE DUMPS, so that's a bonus.

Tried kung pao chick peas, which was quite good but ended up being heavily chick pea centered and needed more veggies to match the takeout variety.

Last night I made orange flavor cauliflower, which actually worked very well. Had that takeout style tang and spice but lightly fried and crispy cauliflower instead of meat. Happy to post the recipes for the two of these if anybody is interested.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
also, my wife would never give up cheese. I like meat. The natural solution is to go jump in a lake, but we're making an effort and it's pretty dramatic even if it's just the two of us.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That is what happens when you try to make a bunch of shit pretend to be meat.

recommends vegan chorizo

???

I would probably be fine with some black beans in taco seasoning as a replacement. I love beans. I'm also OK with trying shit out. I think last time I tried impossible burger, so next I might try beyond beef. I figured it would be covered in salt and spice, so who can tell the difference, but that wasn't true...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

recommends vegan chorizo

???
I can make that vegan chorizo in my kitchen with ingredients that are available at 90% of the supermarkets in the USA. Not so much with the stuff that isn't meat but is supposed to taste and look like meat :think: My local grocer just discontinued methylcellulose unless I buy it from the pharmacy labeled as Citrucel.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the whole let's make my meatless meal look and taste like it actually is the meat product I don't eat. You know your hot dogs, sausages, chicken nuggets, burgers with a rosey pink center.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
found a really good flour tortilla recipe. the only changes I made was to use coconut oil (which is really a paste) as the shortening instead of lard or butter and I added a tablespoon of garlic powder for the taste.

IMG_20220304_202208356.jpg

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Teh Spousal Unit™ and I made this last night, and it was really freaking tasty:

I need to scroll through this thread and see if there are any recipes you clowns have shared that look interesting.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Teh Spousal Unit™ and I made this last night, and it was really freaking tasty:

I need to scroll through this thread and see if there are any recipes you clowns have shared that look interesting.
you know the difference between a chickpea and a garbonzo?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
“Margarine”

Seriously, I dunno man. We’ve had a couple of dairy-free butters in this casa and they were both pretty dang good.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
“Margarine”

Seriously, I dunno man. We’ve had a couple of dairy-free butters in this casa and they were both pretty dang good.

Really *expensive* margarine, I'd wager... :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
“Margarine”

Margarine is congealed oil. Fight me.