Quantcast

Plantar Fasciitis

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
So I'm thinking i've got some plantar fasciitis, but i can't just like take a break and let it heal right now and I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any recommendation on something I can do for it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
aspirin or ibuprofen. stretching. whatever makes it feel better for you personally.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
My wife is a PT Manager for a hospital, and has been doing PT for 20+ years. I'll ask her in the am and post it tomorrow. I've heard her talk about this before.

nuclear 674

Monkey
Aug 12, 2005
ahead of you!!!
try superfeet insoles. make sure you get them fit to your feet and a pair that will fit into most of your shoes or buy more than one pair. if you want more detailed info pm me and i will get it to you.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
When I had it, I went to the PT and he showed me some calf stretching that somehow helped and also did ultrasound therapy on it. That always felt a lot better after each treatment. I also started using some strange orthotic that ended up being too aggressive but now bike with Superfeet and haven't had any issues. No advice on not taking time to heal other than try a new hobby like wine.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Get some custom orthotics and then some PT if it is real bad. The cause could be many things. Could be general inflexibility, collapsed arches, old injury, poor gait........

I battled this problem for 2 years. Got to the point where every step was painful. Went through 3 doctors...........finally found a doctor who was good. He actually laughed at the orthotics the other doc made and threw them in the trash can !!! Got on his program and never had a problem since.......

The cause of my issue was old injury.....if injurys arent rehabbed corrected some muscles don't turn back on. Then a poor gait develops.....

Do not take this lightly. That is my advice. Once it gets bad it can be a bitch to get rid of........

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i had it bad once, took weeks to go away. I found some insoles that helped, but really the only thing that got me real relief was stretching. Best was grab in between your toes and pull them apart like you're trying to tear your foot in half lengthwise. Apparently the never is pinched between those bones so getting pressure off it is key.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I've had a couple of episodes with it and it does suck, but I had a PT show me an exercise that really helped me. I would sit in a chair and lay a towel flat on the floor in front of me. I would put my feet flat on the towel and try to grab it by making a fist with my toes and lifting my toes up while keeping my heels down. Do both feet alternately for about 5-10 minutes. It worked great. I kept a towel on the floor beside my bed and did it when I woke up and then if I were just sitting around watching TV, I'd do it.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I have bad PF due to collapsed arches and I also have very bad heel spurs. Calf streches like the ones mentioned are very useful. Like potroasts' towel exercise, grab towel around toes and grab each end of towel and try to pull toes back to top of the foot.

i have carbon fiber insoles made by podiatrist. Works wonders

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Visit www.slowtwitch.com and do a search for plantar fasciitis. Them tri-folks have posted dozens of threads on the topic.

From what I've seen on that site, and experienced firsthand, I can tell you the following. Sleep with the special sock. NEVER walk without some sort of shoes (this includes walking to the bathroom). Stretch your calves. Ice your heel and PF (frozen bottle o water). If you work in an office, keep a golf ball underneath your desk so that you can massage your heel during work hours. It also might help for you to change your shoes several times over the course of a day.

And most importantly, STAY OFF YOUR FEET.