Quantcast

Plasma TV Delimma!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
N8 said:
From what I gather the burn out rate of the plasma is something like 60,000 hours, which is like 6.8 years of continuous use or 13 years of 12-hr-a-day use. After which time it will be time for something new anyway!

Not the case buddy. If they can't breath they will overheat and burn out. They need to be mounted 3 to 4" away from the wall too. If you mount it directly to the wall or recessed you will burn it up. You will have the FoxNews logo burned into the display in a year. We keep ours on CNN here at work and it is already having burn issues after 1 year......jdcamb

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
quadricolour said:
Mount a projector to the ceiling, and hang a high quality screen on the wall. Bigger, better picture in a slimmer package than plasma.
:stupid: with the newer projectors and a nice screen, you will have a great picture, and dont worry about light, it really isnt an issue

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Dont get a plasma...

LCD TVs are much better than plasmas, better colors, contrast brightness etc... and mtbf of 20yrs before failure on average. Plasmas are rated for 8yrs avg. Also LCD are a bit lighter etc etc... and a bunch of other advantages that at the moment are unfit for this forum.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
$7K for a tv?! daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

who's the chick on the left in the Titus jersey? she's a hottie.

in all seriousness, who's in the middle?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK... I can't find/remember the exact model I decided on... but it was a Fujitsu (50" for roughly $15k). The blacks were very good (only the Panasonics were slightly better), but the Fujitsu was better with ambient light. Plus, last I looked, Fujitsu had the best warranty, and all the research I did showed they had excellent support for plasmas.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
OK... I can't find/remember the exact model I decided on... but it was a Fujitsu (50" for roughly $15k). The blacks were very good (only the Panasonics were slightly better), but the Fujitsu was better with ambient light. Plus, last I looked, Fujitsu had the best warranty, and all the research I did showed they had excellent support for plasmas.
15 thousand dollars and you have rabbit ears on top of it?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
LMAO!!! No, we didn't end up buying it - was too expensive, to potentially unreliable, too small, etc.
I like TV and all but $15k on a TV is crazy!!!

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I was in Best Buy this past weekend, and I thought they had a new DLP flat panel that you could hang on the wall. Anyway with 20' of viewing distance, I would probably go projection or rear projection. I only have 13' or so, and I still went with a Mits. rear projection 65". I couldn't pass on the deal. Plus the bigger the TV the better. If I could have got the 73" I would have. Although I do have some issues with all my windows at times, but I'd rather close the curtains rather than spending 5k more. Anyway here is a pic of it right after I got it all put together. You can see my testing of the HD antenna on the left. It's also at stock settings in the pic. I need to take some new pics, but anyway.
It will be one year old this December, and I was thinking of having it professionally calibrated, and cleaned. Has anyone done this, and did it make as much of a difference as I've heard.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Have been doing some research and looking at plamas at CirCty & BBuy..

I am thinking about a Sony now. They have a great picture, good blacks, and awesome styling..

Priced in the mid $5k range for a 50 inch.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so N8, what'd you get?

Mandi has said that if she passes all 4 sections of the CPA exam on the first try, she's buying an LCD tele. so far, she's passed 3 with mid to high 80s. just waiting on that last score.....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the Inbred said:
we're going in the 35 - 40" range.
I'm really tempted by the new 37" & 42" Westinghouse LCDs.

Not as bright as the plasmas, but fewer problems with burn-in and you can get a true 1080p signal for $1500-2000, which you sure as hell can't do with a plasma now.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
the Inbred said:
so N8, what'd you get?

Mandi has said that if she passes all 4 sections of the CPA exam on the first try, she's buying an LCD tele. so far, she's passed 3 with mid to high 80s. just waiting on that last score.....

50" Panasonic plasma monitor.