Quantcast

Platform air shock for XC

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Can someone give me the 411 on platform equip air shock? like the 5th air and the new Fox pro pedal AVA?

How does the shock knows the diff between a pedal stroke and a small bump?

Does the 5th air have the dead feel of the 5th coil?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Its a sort of filter. When you hit a bump, the force opens a valve which allows oil flow in the damper. This switch is adjustable with air pressure. The trick is to adjust the pressure so that it just filters out pedal activated motion. It will of course also filter out bumps which provide as much or less force than pedaling forces. I think that once the shock is into its travel though the "stable platform valve" has no affect. In practice you get a much stiffer shock for smooth trails and roads but once you start smackin' stuff it more supple. I recently put a 5th Air on my Superlight. That's what I noticed. But because the shock has heim joints at either end, the frame flexes more. I don't feel the flex but I see it. I can push on the frame with my hands and make the swing arm touch the seat tube on one side. My frame is little off to one side though. Couldn't do that with the Fox float.

VPP can do a better job. It uses chain tension to hold the suspension still, but bump forces will be more easily overcome. I have ridden the wifes Blur and its smoother than the SL. It also has more rear travel.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by oldfart
Its a sort of filter. When you hit a bump, the force opens a valve which allows oil flow in the damper. This switch is adjustable with air pressure. The trick is to adjust the pressure so that it just filters out pedal activated motion. It will of course also filter out bumps which provide as much or less force than pedaling forces. I think that once the shock is into its travel though the "stable platform valve" has no affect. In practice you get a much stiffer shock for smooth trails and roads but once you start smackin' stuff it more supple. I recently put a 5th Air on my Superlight. That's what I noticed. But because the shock has heim joints at either end, the frame flexes more. I don't feel the flex but I see it. I can push on the frame with my hands and make the swing arm touch the seat tube on one side. My frame is little off to one side though. Couldn't do that with the Fox float.

VPP can do a better job. It uses chain tension to hold the suspension still, but bump forces will be more easily overcome. I have ridden the wifes Blur and its smoother than the SL. It also has more rear travel.
Do you feel like the 5th takes out the live feel of the shock.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Deyv
Do you feel like the 5th takes out the live feel of the shock.
I did, but it worked really well otherwise. I think it just takes some getting used to and dialing that 'infinite' adjustment to your liking. I'm looking at getting a Swinger 4-way after a quick test on the 5th. if I got a really good deal on the 5th I'd go there, but I'd like to try the other alternatives too.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Hey Deyv, I'll try to help ya with what I've found with my Blur/5th. Unfortunately, I don't have much time at all on a Blur/Fox, so I can't compare the two. But, I've found my Blur to be plenty plush, sweetest trail ride I've had, and that includes my old Bullit. I started with low pressure in the platform chamber, and I actually ended up increasing it a little more later, to firm things up. Basically, you can run low IFP pressure to tune out the tiny amount of bob you get when cruising, and the VPP takes care of everything when you are hammering. It is great to have that tuning option. I'll bet you a sticker you can set the IFP low enough you won't even know it is there.

One other thing to consider - if you do buy a 5th, and you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell it on eBay or anywhere else for near purchase price - there are a lot of Blurs out there with Fox shocks...