Quantcast

Platform footwear...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I had few close calls and cased one drop yesterday because of the sneakers I wore. I knew they weren't exactly the best for an urban or DH, but even on a day of casual urban, footwear is essential. My feet kept coming off the platforms. I was wearing a pair of Pearl Izume running shoes.

This is strictly platform footwear. I know the comment will come to ride clipless...so, platform only.

So the question is, what do some folks wear? I have a pair of Vans that "stick" nice...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dante said:
*nothing* compares to 5.10s. almost too grippy.
DITTO
do a search for the words Five Ten or 5.10 or 5.10 Impact or Five Ten Impact .... you'll learn why EVERYONE loves them.

For DH and trails they are incredible...don't know how good they are for urban though. Vans gum sole with the waffle pattern seem to be the favorite for Urban...namely the Rowleys.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
5.10 Impacts! no second guessing, for general goofin around downtown or at the skatepark I just use skate shoes, easier to move your foot around, but like Bizutch said on the trails it's the 5.10

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
Any skate shoe with a gum sole, running shoes are not good at all. Nike is coming out with s mtn. bike specific shoe called "whistler" (not the best name for a shoe I know) but it looks so much better than the 5.10.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Brunettes said:
Any skate shoe with a gum sole, running shoes are not good at all. Nike is coming out with s mtn. bike specific shoe called "whistler" (not the best name for a shoe I know) but it looks so much better than the 5.10.
got any pics?

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tech/shows/interbike05/?id=interbike0515/Air_Whistler

"New for 2006 from Nike Cycling is the Nike Air Whistler, specially made for the "hucking" set and developed with input from freeride pioneer Andrew Shandro. Originally a skate shoe, Air Whistler became a bike-specific shoe after much development by Shandro and Nike shoe designers.

Air Whistler is a non-SPD platform shoe with an 047+ 'sticky' rubber outsole from Nike, a PP injected insole board for a stiff sole and a comfortable Nike Air cushion heel, combined with a molded heel and inner pad that protects ankles from crank abuse."

Oakley has some shoes out too, all which are pretty pricey.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I just go to Kohl's and grab a 30 dollar pair of Vans. Work well enough for my purposes and I don't really care if they get trashed. So far grip has not really been an issue.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have always used vans with the off the wall sole, works great.

Also, those Nike's are horrendous. Wow. They look like they need velcro, and napoleon dynamite wearing them.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
5.10 high impacts are what I've been using for trail for the last year or so. They been resistant to NC mud and creek x-ings. I like vans rowleys for street though, just enough slip for cranks flips and such.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Some of it might have to do w/ your pedals too. I guess just make sure your pins are in good order. I've been able to ride in running shoes in a pinch when I realized I forgot my skate shoes at the house, and they worked fine. My zuzu's are damn rough right now and won't grip anything.

Shoe opinion: I just stick w/ skate shoes w/ either a waffle tread or gum sole (or both). But I know a lot of people who swear by 5.10.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Transcend said:
I have always used vans with the off the wall sole, works great.

Also, those Nike's are horrendous. Wow. They look like they need velcro, and napoleon dynamite wearing them.
They kinda grow on you after a while!!!! :p

:D

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
bizutch said:
YAYYYY. Somebody bashed them before me so now it's OK to hate. I knew I liked you for some reason Fraser.

Are you kidding? they just look like a pair of Dunks!

I know they aint as grippy as 5:10s but 5:10 shoes look soooooo crap its unreal. In a sport that is so concerned with its image I find it hard to see how those 5:10 things make it on to anyones feet.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Ralphie, as soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew it had to be yours! As I was saying yesterday, I am a true fans of the old school Vans. They grip like nobodys business And I have no idea how they would compare to the 5-10's but I still dig 'em!

J

JRB

So it's me, wood-dog, and transcend are in agreement. Two out of three ain't bad for smart people, and on occasion, Transcend looks like he knows what he's talking about.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
I'll never argue against the 5.10's, but I've had great experiences with the Etnies Roscoe shoe developed by Taj(bmx ripper). The soles on vans seem too thin for my liking and most skate specific shoes have too small of a waffle pattern allowing the pedal pins to pull through.

edit: by waffle I meant ribbed <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I use these 661 launch shoes for downhill

For urban, I use skateboard shoes.

I have these pedals

^ I can't put a picture or even link to it because of the damn filter.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
5.10's for dh and racing
nike brown leather suede wilson (i think) limited edition shoes from a few years back (have 4 or 5 pairs, uber pimp skate shoes only a 500 or so sold)

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
ill sell you the 5.10s(10.5 size) in the low cut, for 40 bucks. They cost close to 80 new. Or ill sell you some intence shoes, for 20.(Same grip as the 5.10.) The intence shoes were actually the exact same shoes featured in the 03 gary fisher catalog(the one when the dudes going up the car to proove how great 29rs are. Ok me and gary are pretty close......

Heckled

Chimp
Feb 1, 2006
Orchid Shoes - their designed for bmx's so are almost perfect.
http://orchidshoes.com/

I'm a full convert to these - they feel just right, stiffer than most skate shoes but not crazy stiff like most of the DH shoes. I've not tried the 5.10s' but with syncros pedals the last thing on my mind is a lack of grip!