Quantcast

Platform vs. Clipless

igxqrrl

Chimp
Oct 1, 2005
I've read a couple article lately extolling the virtues of platform pedals, with a lot of folks claiming to have switched from clipless to platform, and preferring the latter.

Any thoughts from folks here? Anyone tried platforms lately? I ride mostly single-track with a fair amount of tight switchbacks, so the ability to easily get a foot out and then back on the pedal seems enticing to me. I've been riding Crank Bros' pedals lately.

lankyride

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
mid west
The biggest advantage to riding platform pedals when ridng super technical terrain or stunts is the ablitity to dab a foot very quickly.

I know most of the fastest downhillers run clipped in but they most of the time don't have to clip out as quickley as a person "freeriding" (i use the term loosly). I do know that for most people the transistion from clipless to platforms is an annoying one. The lack of pedaling power and the lack of bunnyhopping skill frustrates most people that are used to riding clipped in.\

-late-

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i ran clipless on my jekyll for two years or so, and then i jus finished my chase a coulpe months back and it's got platforms on it, and now i'm pretty much havning to learn things over again ie bunnyhops...it is a pain but you get used to it after a while

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
lankyride said:
The biggest advantage to riding platform pedals when ridng super technical terrain or stunts is the ablitity to dab a foot very quickly.

I know most of the fastest downhillers run clipped in but they most of the time don't have to clip out as quickley as a person "freeriding" (i use the term loosly). I do know that for most people the transistion from clipless to platforms is an annoying one. The lack of pedaling power and the lack of bunnyhopping skill frustrates most people that are used to riding clipped in.

-late-
:stupid:

MOST of the time clipless is usually faster. I am not competive enough to care about clipless.

I race dh, slalom and dirt jump, fr, and to xcish trail with platforms. I completely prefer platforms as I could easily bail off my bike if I were going down.

If one were to ride clipless, it would probably be a good idea to ride platforms for a while first, so that you could learn to throw the bike around with your feet loose.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
I prefer platforms just because i can bail if i need to. I don't care how fast you can clip out of your pedals, i can get off my platforms faster. I kind of like the security that i feel in that reguard, but on the other hand having the bike connected to you is kind of nice as well, it will give you a little more confidence on bunny hopping stuff.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
seismic said:
If you ride very tech stuff I would go flat-pedals.
I have used both especially when i first started dh/freeriding. i am staing with clipins now. as my skill progressed i find that the platforms dont give the control i like

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
hooples3 said:
I have used both especially when i first started dh/freeriding. i am staing with clipins now. as my skill progressed i find that the platforms dont give the control i like

I completely agree

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I used to run clipless and just switched to flats about a month ago. I'm slowly starting to get used to it but I can't bunnyhop as high and cant climb nearly as well as I could before. That said I do more jumps and steep downhills and whatnot because I know I can get off the bike not problem or throw a foot down. But I know people who will ride anything with clips, drops, skinnies whatever.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I just came to the realization that I can't ride clips for sh*t...

I now use flats for everything DH, DS, FR, XC...all of it.

Say not to clips...go FLAT out! ;)

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay its totally a rider preference thing. you can ask tons of people and read tons of articles on the subject but in the end its up to you with what you do. i say try both and see which one you like better. or even learn both so you can switch them out for different trails and race courses. just what i would do, but like i said its totally up to you man. :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I use both, and switch it up depending on the ride. For anything involving lots of pedaling I use clipless. You get a much more efficient pedal stroke with clipless, because you can pedal in "circles" meaning you actually pull up as well as push down. For chairlift-access riding, dirt jumping, shore-style, urban, and gnarcore posing, I like flats. For all day epics with lots of climbing, rolling, descending, etc., I usually use clipless. I have no problem switching but I spent a lot of years riding bmx before moving to clipless. I don't rely on clipless to bunnyhop, 'cuz I learned on flats.

igxqrrl

Chimp
Oct 1, 2005
Thanks all for the input. I picked up a cheap pair of platforms to try out, and am somewhat ambivalent after a couple relatively short rides. I'm driving down to Moab this weekend for several days, and will bring both platforms and clipless for more experimentation.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I use both depending on what type of riding I'm doing. For freeriding, I mainly use platforms. For any type of racing (DH, BMX) I clip in.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
For platform pedals, specific shoes really help. The best shoes by far are the 5.10 impacts (high top and standard).

I have 661 launches and they are very good. Pedals w/ replacable pins generally grip better, because they are harder than the material the peadl is and stay sharper, espeicially is you ride street or rocks.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
mtnbrider said:
For platform pedals, specific shoes really help. The best shoes by far are the 5.10 impacts (high top and standard).

I have 661 launches and they are very good. Pedals w/ replacable pins generally grip better, because they are harder than the material the peadl is and stay sharper, espeicially is you ride street or rocks.
Also, any skate shoe is good for platform pedals. I see a lot of people riding Vans. Oakley also makes a shoe for about the same price as the 5.10s (in clipless and non-clipless versions).

Just try both. I like platforms because they've made me stronger, I love the feel of being on them, and it's nice to just ditch your bike without having to unclip (as I did many, many times on virgin runs in Whistler). For some pedally, less technical DH race courses I use clips, and I always use clips for dual slalom and mountaincross because of the edge it gives you out of the gate.

Verewolf

Chimp
Oct 13, 2005
Power Grips are a great alternative to riding flats or clipless.
A set of Power grips run about $17.
They hold your feet securely to the pedal and are easy to get in to
and extremely easy to get out of in a pinch.
Plus you can wear any shoes or boots you want.
A major advantage.

I thought about going clipless but figured I'd try these first.
After using them for a month I'm very satisfied and will keep them on.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
black noise said:
Also, any skate shoe is good for platform pedals.

A lot of people say this but I just don't agree. I find the sole of most skate shoes is just too soft, I get lots of pressure points and that weird bird-on-a-perch feeling that my toes are curling around the pedal. A bike-specific shoe will have a stiffer sole and disperse the pressure over a bigger area.

Five Tens are where it's at.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
so veirwolf what is this thing you speak of. most clipless pedals, or something of the sort, the cheaper you go the worse and worse they get untile its evitually gets so bad you almost cant get out of them. just explain so i can better understand just cause im curious as to what they are. :thumb:

Verewolf

Chimp
Oct 13, 2005
OGRipper said:
A lot of people say this but I just don't agree. I find the sole of most skate shoes is just too soft, I get lots of pressure points and that weird bird-on-a-perch feeling that my toes are curling around the pedal. A bike-specific shoe will have a stiffer sole and disperse the pressure over a bigger area.

Five Tens are where it's at.

I got a pair of Hipoppotamus shoes $39.95 at the Shoe Dept. store.

Ultra rigid soles, thick leather uppers and soft padded inside - made in Italy.

They work great with my Power Grips.
I can really get them tight without cutting off the blood flow to my toes.

Verewolf

Chimp
Oct 13, 2005
frznnomad said:
so veirwolf what is this thing you speak of. most clipless pedals, or something of the sort, the cheaper you go the worse and worse they get untile its evitually gets so bad you almost cant get out of them. just explain so i can better understand just cause im curious as to what they are. :thumb:
They're straps. Not toe clips. They've been around for some time but have had a resurgence of late due to Mtbers who don't want to go clipless and need to use their flats at times and want to be able to wear different shoes or boots.

I read a number of rave reviews by users and decided to give them a try. Fantastic! Works for me.

You slide your foot in at an angle and when you straighten your foot they hold you firmly on the pedal. When you want to bail out turn your heel and slip out. No special pedals or shoes to buy. And like I said above they cost about $17.

The website is EkoSport

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I was the flat-pedal preacher for many many years. I have convertad many a friend to the dark side. I grew up with BMX bikes and therefore even my first real MTB had Hutch pedals on it. I first gave clipless a try back in '96 and after a few mishaps I gave up and went back to my trusty flats. Then again a few years ago I gave clipless another go around and once again I went back to flats after a few bad experiences.

Finally this past summer I decided to give it one last go around and I bought a pair of the new Shimano DX platform/SPD's. I took to them right away and felt VERY comfortable almost instantly. I was surprised by this! After a few months of riding a few times a week, I find that ultimately I do have a little more control over my bike clipped in, especially in rocks where my feet would sometimes get bounced off the flats (even with 5.10 shoes). However I was more aprehensive about launching jumps and drops. Fast forward to a few days ago when I was going for a cruise around town and I decided to throw my flats back on to goof off. Later that day we did a shuttle on Cold Springs and I didn't feel like swapping back to SPD's so I rode my flats. I rode as fast as I have been all summer and when it came to sections that were launchable I laucnhed them without hesitation. I just felt more comfortable diving in head first so to speak. So now I am back at ground zero which pretty much leads me to believe there really is no major advantage either way and that every rider should spend a significant amount of time clipped AND on flats to determine what works best for him/her.

I used to ride flats for everything including epic XC rides and I really don't think that SPD's are even that big of an advantage for moderate climbing. They are however a HUGE help on technical climbs where maintaining traction is absolutely paramount/ For instance climbing Jesusita trail succesfully is MUCH harder w/flats.

In short ride what you like and what seems to work for you.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
DH SB RIDER said:
some idiot said that MOST of the fastest racers are cliped in..... since when is Nathen Rennie and Sam Hill slow?
:nuts: You make the stupidest posts......Reread your post- "MOST". Some people prefer clipless and others prefer platforms. However, many racers use ride clipless.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
like i have heard from a litttle birdy the people at the top of the finishing in DH are about half and half 50/50. but out of all the DH racers i heard the majority is riding clipless. clipless=less wasted energy more speed, platform=ability to catch yourself if you are falling down

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
o yeah if you want to go clipless but you want to stay with flats try using five trens it is the perfect compromise

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I have always ridden flats, and hated riding clipless. If you get a pair of Five-Ten Impact shoes and some longer pins for your flats, unless they are already long, then it's practically like riding clipless. Give the Crank Brother's 5050XX flats a try. The pin pattern and length is fully customizable, and Impacts will stick to them like glue.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
A friend of mine rides clipless and says it helps him lift the bike better. I ride flats. I just want my feet available when I want them.

I ride both, usually switching to flats when the snow shows up. I find the clipless to be better in super-rough terrain, babyhead fields and the like - no unintentional foot off the pedal. Learn to use both - each will teach you something about the other.

hurlykid6900

Chimp
Oct 23, 2005
C-Ville Rep yo
I rode platforms for a while, I like clipless alot now. I like how the feel off drops, and also its more fun to screw arouind, they are also great for xc and dh.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
It'll take a lot of convincing to get me back on a pair of clipless pedals. I'm not as die-hard as one of my riding buddies, who has DK Distortion Magnesium flats on his Kona King XC bike, but never will I ride them for DH or FR.