Quantcast

Plattekill DH #5 "The Ultimatum" pics and info - Sept 19-20

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
The USAC New York State Championship Series at Plattekill Bike Park will be featuring a brand new Pro/Cat1 Downhill race course this weekend, September 19-20. Management at the park gave recent UCI World Championship participant, Geoff Ulmer some tools and said have fun building what ever you want. Geoff has been racing at Plattekill for years, said he wanted to create something that was similar to when he started racing at Plattekill. Expect big drops, steep shale single track and his favorite feature from the past, fresh cut. He cut some lines that will be sure to be a favorite. The fresh cut is steep, off camber and filled with turns. The course is taped wide and line choice will be critical for success. The weekend will feature Dual Slalom Races on Saturday and Downhill Races on Sunday with open practice throughout the weekend.

The downhill track hits some of Geoff’s favorite features, starting with the ”Shale Drop”. Racers can go as big and fast as they want, as it sends them into a steep and loose landing that is covered in shale.

From there it traverses some of the fresh cut trail section to more steep single track and more steep drops. After that is the longest section of fresh cut race course in recent memory.

It’s steep and off camber characteristics will challenge even the top pro’s to hold their line.

The course then leads to one of the newer drops at the park, “Mugsy”. “Mugsy” has an insane steep and rocky exit. The course ends up on an old favorite section of single track that hasn’t been used in years.

Geoff proudly raced to a 15th place finish at the World Championships and was the fastest North American Junior Racer at the event. He wanted everyone to know just to make things fair he did not practice this course. He did work for two full days on this project and invites all Northeast Pros to race him on this track. We’ll call this challenge, “Ulmer’s Ultimatum”.

Special Thanks to; Chris Hoey, Antonio Sini, Robert Coumo who all took time out of their riding to help Geoff with the course

The Cat2/Cat3 race course will be fast and fun. It will start on the Double Chair side of the mountain and will be fun and challenging. However beginners will have no trouble riding the course.

Saturday’s Dual Slalom Race is also part NYS Dual Slalom Championship Series. The race will be held on our new course which has featured exciting and close racing in the first two races of the series. Racers of all abilities and ages will enjoy the Dual Slalom Course.

Riders of all abilities will enjoy the scenic trails which offer everything from gentle trails thru the woods to the most hardcore trails found anywhere. Bring along the family to take a sky ride to the top to enjoy the fall foliage and watch the racers up close.

Plattekill offers the best value in Lift-Assisted riding: The $40 for 2 consecutive day pass. That’s right only $20 per day for riding the lifts up and riding the trails down. The Bike Park offers full bike and equipment rentals; all you have to do is show up. Guided tours and lessons for all abilities will be available for a small fee or just explore the vast terrain by yourself. The BBQ on the deck will be on daily featuring burger and chicken sandwich specials.

2009 Plattekill Bike Park Race Schedule
May 2-3 Race #1 DH
June 13-14 Race #2 DH&DS
July 25-26 Race #3 DH&DS
September 5-6 Race #4 DH&DS Double Points
September 19-20 Race #5 DH&DS
October 10-11 Race #6 DH&DS Gravity East Series #11 Finals
October 24-25 Race #7 Series Finals Double Points

Plattekill Bike Park will be paying cash 3 deep -- $20 per racer entry in the Pro class and $10 per racer entry to all Cat1 classes.
Payback will be given on the following percentage ratio basis; 55/30/15. Cat2 and Cat3 will receive sponsor-donated prizes as available. All classes will receive custom 2009 Plattekill Medals.

MORE CASH FOR ALL RACERS:
On top of our cash payouts NEMA has partnered with us to pay CASH to the top three in ALL race classes through The NEMA Cash Contingency Program. The plan will pay pros $50/25/15 and Cat 1,2 & 3 will be paid $25/15/10 for those that wear a NEMA product and list them as a sponsor on our race entry sheet.

While upping the payouts ALL Race fees have been reduced​
$70 for Pros, $60 for Cat1, while Cat2 & Cat3 Racers will pay only $45 !!!.​

All race entries include a 2-day lift ticket​

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
Hey

props to Plattekill for offering a full fall race schedule! We will be there for the October Races.

September 5-6 Race #4 DH&DS Double Points
September 19-20 Race #5 DH&DS
October 10-11 Race #6 DH&DS Gravity East Series #11 Finals
October 24-25 Race #7 Series Finals Double Points

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Racing and I seem to be estranged this year. Won't make this one, I'm moving the following weekend (Sept 26/27).

At least it will allow me to ride the remainder of the fall. Which is my favorite time to ride Platty.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Racing and I seem to be estranged this year. Won't make this one, I'm moving the following weekend (Sept 26/27).

At least it will allow me to ride the remainder of the fall. Which is my favorite time to ride Platty.
I'm moving this weekend. Man up!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Well the wife got cold feet about blowing thousands of $$$ to move out west so we decided to buy a house here is ****ty old buffalo )-:

It has been a undercover work in progress over the past few weeks, getting the keys to the crib today. Now that I own a home I'm broke as f^ck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well the wife got cold feet about blowing thousands of $$$ to move out west so we decided to buy a house here is ****ty old buffalo )-:

It has been a undercover work in progress over the past few weeks, getting the keys to the crib today. Now that I own a home I'm broke as f^ck.
Dang, sorry to hear you're not moving west! I knew you were really excited about it. But I can't say I'm not glad that you'll be staying.

And congrats on buying a house! You may be broke now, but financially its a really good move in the long run. Now I feel less bad about not being able to make it to platty this weekend. We'll have to celebrate in October :cheers:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
looks awesome. wide fresh cut off trails turns into loam leafy shale mess and eventually gets down to the clay. off camber is the awesome fun

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Don't bother... you're not even allowed in the store if you're a PA resident. Before the 4th they had police there to enforce it.
wrong again jonny boy.
only the major stores like Phanton and Fireworks are PA residents not allowed to buy anything other than fountains. the other major fireworks warehouse next to the other two is where anyone can go into.
its actually closer for you to get to since its on the westbound side on the first exit after the tolls on rt 78.
take the first exit, make a right and its right there on the left....cant miss it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you come out, let me know, ill meet you there....since i cant buy sht here in PA
wrong again jonny boy.
only the major stores like Phanton and Fireworks are PA residents not allowed to buy anything other than fountains. the other major fireworks warehouse next to the other two is where anyone can go into.
its actually closer for you to get to since its on the westbound side on the first exit after the tolls on rt 78.
take the first exit, make a right and its right there on the left....cant miss it.
so you can't buy stuff or you can? Which is it?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i dont consider fountains to be anything worth while. they sell those in Kmart around here.
Still didn't answer the question.

Also, how could you (theoretically) buy fountains there (phantom) when you (as a PA resident) can't even go into the store?

And if there are other stores that allow PA residents inside, what good will that do you if you can't buy anything?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Still didn't answer the question.

Also, how could you (theoretically) buy fountains there (phantom) when you (as a PA resident) can't even go into the store?

And if there are other stores that allow PA residents inside, what good will that do you if you can't buy anything?
who said you cant go in the stores?? if i cant obviously buy them, youd be the one buying them for me.

i see you have your douche hat on today. congrats.
forget i mentioned it. ill get another friend to buy them for me

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
who said you cant go in the stores??
Da po-lice.

Oh, and Phantom themselves:

http://www.fireworks.com/locations/showroom.asp?lid=53

Following disclaimer is on the page for all PA locations:
No Admission to PA residents without proper permits.

Regarding the permits:

http://www.fireworks.com/locations/pennsylvania-permit.asp

The Pennsylvania law is clear that Pennsylvania residents are not permitted to purchase 1.4G consumer fireworks, except that

"Consumer fireworks and display fireworks may be possessed and used by a person holding a permit from any municipality at the display covered by such permit......

No such permit shall be issued to a person younger than eighteen (18) years of age." 35 PA Statutes, Chapter 13A, §1275.

Because of this restriction, Phantom Fireworks does not permit Pennsylvania residents in our Pennsylvania showrooms, except in the case where a Pennsylvania resident has a valid permit issued by an appropriate official of a city, town, borough, municipality, township or county. Acceptable officials will include: mayors, supervisors, commissioners, board chairmen, fire chiefs and fire marshals.

I may be wearing the douche hat, but I see you are wearing your Ass Hat. :busted:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
im not gonna sit here and argue with you jon. its not like youll be coming to the race anyway
Well I was gonna see if you wanted to stop by my place before you head up for the weekend, seeing as how I still have some leftover fireworks from the 4th.... :brows:

but if you don't wanna have an e-argument i dunno :weee:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well I was gonna see if you wanted to stop by my place before you head up for the weekend, seeing as how I still have some leftover fireworks from the 4th.... :brows:

but if you don't wanna have an e-argument i dunno :weee:
im leaving after i get back from Texas so i dont think youd be home on Friday afternoon.
miller tweaked his ankle bad at diablow, so i dont think he'd be coming either

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
im leaving after i get back from Texas so i dont think youd be home on Friday afternoon.
miller tweaked his ankle bad at diablow, so i dont think he'd be coming either
Oh ok, I wasn't sure what your plans were, and if you were gonna be up here Thursday night.

Yea you had mentioned about Eric's ankle. Sucks dude! I talked to him very briefly the other night and he said he was gonna try to get a day off work to rest it. Any idea when its gonna be good enough to ride?

Ugh, I can't wait to be done with this moving sh*t. I can't believe how retarded the rental market is in NJ. I thought it was tough in LA...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Oh ok, I wasn't sure what your plans were, and if you were gonna be up here Thursday night.

Yea you had mentioned about Eric's ankle. Sucks dude! I talked to him very briefly the other night and he said he was gonna try to get a day off work to rest it. Any idea when its gonna be good enough to ride?

Ugh, I can't wait to be done with this moving sh*t. I can't believe how retarded the rental market is in NJ. I thought it was tough in LA...
i come back tomorrow night, then leave early Thursday morning, returning mid day on Friday. im heading up to Platty round that time.

he said its hurting worse than it did on Sunday. he didnt go to work yesterday and i dont htink he went today. i told him to use a wheeled chair to move around, but he is acting like a drama queen.
he's not racing this weekend, so he cant sandbag Sport class again and win by over 8 seconds

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i come back tomorrow night, then leave early Thursday morning, returning mid day on Friday. im heading up to Platty round that time.

he said its hurting worse than it did on Sunday. he didnt go to work yesterday and i dont htink he went today. i told him to use a wheeled chair to move around, but he is acting like a drama queen.
he's not racing this weekend, so he cant sandbag Sport class again and win by over 8 seconds
Gotcha. If you wanna stop by and pick some stuff up tomorrow night you can (if you're in NJ, I think that's what you said, lol)

Dude something must be seriously up w/ his ankle if its getting worse. Is it just swelling that's getting worse or something else?

He could always get a DH wheelchair and race this weekend.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Gotcha. If you wanna stop by and pick some stuff up tomorrow night you can (if you're in NJ, I think that's what you said, lol)

Dude something must be seriously up w/ his ankle if its getting worse. Is it just swelling that's getting worse or something else?

He could always get a DH wheelchair and race this weekend.
ill give ya a ring tomorrow night when i hit NJ again.

the mope at the hospital said its not broken and to see a orthopedic doctor asap....he of course hasnt made a appt yet and probably wont.

everything got super stretched. sprains can be worse than breaks. he said the swelling got worse on monday after it happened on sunday.
im sure it hurts, but he's being a bit dramatic saying he cant work all week.

anywho...how bout this course...(not a track)?

the Shale Drop is awesome. cant wait to see if anyone makes love to the trees at the bottom again

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds good - give me a heads up when you're in town. I'll be around, packing everything I own. Again.

I'll get in touch w/ him and tell him to go see an orthopedic. My dad had a minor break in his foot maybe a decade ago, and he's had nerve issues ever since. Probably also has something to do with working for 30+ years and spending so much time on thick, hard, concrete floors, but the break is what triggered it.

Looks like a good track. Wide taping has been needed.

Last edited: