Quantcast

Plattekill - Enough "easier" trails for the kids?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Are there enough of the easier trails at plattekill for the kids? We're looking at making a trip out there and the kids want to go. They're both 7 and mountain bike quite a bit. We just want to make sure they are not stuck on the same old trail all day.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I would say no. There are easy trails-but not in a row. Example. Pozer is a greem trail on the right of the double chair. It ends and turns into typical platty crazyness.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would say no. There are easy trails-but not in a row. Example. Pozer is a greem trail on the right of the double chair.
It ends and turns into typical platty crazyness.
You're completely forgetting the xc trails, which are much mellower and can be ridden from the top of the mountain

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
After having only ridden there only once, I can't imagine a single trail on that mountain would be a green trail. It's nothing but shape shifting rock. I can still hear the clackity clack sound of rock surfing that place.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
After having only ridden there only once, I can't imagine a single trail on that mountain would be a green trail. It's nothing but shape shifting rock. I can still hear the clackity clack sound of rock surfing that place.
again, you've probably never ridden the xc trails. neither have i, but i've seen plenty of group rides take them. give the people I saw riding them and the bikes they were on, i'd venture a guess that kids can handle them.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if they stick to the fire roads then theyll be fine. there are some mellower trails that go off the back side but i dont know if a 7 year old can really ride them

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Gonna be pretty tough to really get a solid green run in, but you can follow the fat green lines on this for fireroad DH. The thin green lines appear to also be easy trails, but they're often laded with obstacles that you or I might say "Easy", but a 7 year old might stop and think about. The best bet is to go slow and be prepared to walk certain sections. Also, plan ahead. Trails like "Ghost" are certainly easy, but they end on "pinchflat", which was last years pro GRT course.

I think you can find stuff, but you may want to preride it first before letting them go down it unsupervised. Honestly, a lot of the easier stuff is marked because it's flat, but there may be some tricky sections.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Thanks guys. They'd probably have enough fun just on the two tracks to begin with.

They both ride pretty well, and are getting bored with most of what our local trails have for a challenge....they both ride out local lift served DH just fine, but its more tree roots and sand then rock gardens.

We were hoping to go to the Memorial Day Weekend race at Platty and didn't want to leave the kids behind. Worst comes to worst it seems there are plenty of other activities at Platty they could go and do if the riding is too far over their heads.

My son claims he wants to race, but I'm not so sure he realizes what east coast rocks look like compared to Flint/Detroit rocks.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The good thing about the memorial day weekend race is that they try to make a bit of a mini-festival out of it, and try to make it family oriented.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Next question is where's the best place to stay, doesn't seem to be much in the area.
There are a ton of po-dunk motels in the area. As Rice said - Pakatakan, Colonial, Fleischmans - on the cheaper side (Pakatakan is 60$ a night double occupancy for roughly the same as the other two)

Hannah and Roxbury for the more spendy - Roxbury is pretty nice, but also booked up well in advance and often have a 2 (sometimes 3) night minimum... 200+ a night.