Quantcast

Plattekill roll call

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Also that bar hump was mid ejection. The "Oh ****, i have got to get away from this bike" moment. I dumped it below me. I think it would have been way worse if i had landed with the bike, ha.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
top 5 pro?
top 3 pros that mattered:
1-Ulmer
2-someone else
3-Ford

That was the most retarded piece of "trail work" I have ever seen at a race. Glad just about everyone in the parking lot backed me up on that one.
settle down little doggy. i talked to Hudson about it and he did agree. it was never meant to be part of our original course, but it was obviously not taped from the get go, so he realized it needed to be back in play.

we all were getting upset because people tend to make their own course alterations after we cut the original course.
Laz did make a announcement and quoted our own Nolan saying "any dirt bag that moves the course or course tape will have it immediately changed." and i do believe altering a course is cause for a DQ

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
top 3 pros that mattered:
1-Ulmer
2-someone else
3-Ford

settle down little doggy. i talked to Hudson about it and he did agree. it was never meant to be part of our original course, but it was obviously not taped from the get go, so he realized it needed to be back in play.
It wasn't the what (or the who), it was the when. I spoke with Hudson afterwards, he did seem to agree though, so credit to him. You just can't simply put a huge ass 18" diameter log and tape in a race line after practice is done 1 hr before the race and then "tell people about it in line". Someone was quite likely going to get smashed on that in their race run.

Also, having Lazslo and his crew of cronies deciding to announce that people were "changing" the course and using "cheater lines" when in fact his race course wasn't properly taped until midway through practice on race day is a great way to have people not come back...again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It wasn't the what (or the who), it was the when. I spoke with Hudson afterwards, he did seem to agree though, so credit to him. You just can't simply put a huge ass 18" diameter log and tape in a race line after practice is done 1 hr before the race and then "tell people about it in line". Someone was quite likely going to get smashed on that in their race run.

Also, having Lazslo and his crew of cronies deciding to announce that people were "changing" the course and using "cheater lines" when in fact his race course wasn't properly taped until midway through practice on race day is a great way to have people not come back...again.
The underlying issue is lack of manpower. On the occaisions that actual Plattekill employees do the taping, I don't believe any of them are even bikers, so you can't really fault them for not knowing what they're doing (whether it's course marking or course building). The people who DO know what they are doing are volunteering their time. And in somes cases there aren't enough people willing to volunteer.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
seems to be plenty of tape in Frasier's ejection shot. Maybe they should have used some of that on the rest of the course?

Sorry you had a bad time; I've never really enjoyed racing there, but the riding and afterparties make it worth the trip.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The underlying issue is lack of manpower. On the occaisions that actual Plattekill employees do the taping, I don't believe any of them are even bikers, so you can't really fault them for not knowing what they're doing (whether it's course marking or course building). The people who DO know what they are doing are volunteering their time. And in somes cases there aren't enough people willing to volunteer.
Normally, I would agree. But in this case, this one change seemed to be made more out of spite than anything else.

They were blaming people for "changing the course" when in fact there was no tape at all within about 20' of that section. And then to put a huge log IN the line and tell spectators (who happened to be rider's parents) that "this will show those guys" is a bit ridiculous. All this after practice is pretty much over, and with 1 hr to go before the first riders come down.

I can certainly understand his frustration with no help etc, but seriously, that was ridiculous.

Anyways, the reason i even went down (besides just getting to ride my bike) is I rode that course ages ago (years) and loved it. It is super fun despite a few of the oddities it had. The only thing that put me off was that weird move and ensuing yelling match to get my point across and the attitude form the actual plattekill staff about it afterwards.

I guess no one told Laszlo I was actually there covering his event for decline. Oops?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Normally, I would agree. But in this case, this one change seemed to be made more out of spite than anything else.

They were blaming people for "changing the course" when in fact there was no tape at all within about 20' of that section. And then to put a huge log IN the line and tell spectators (who happened to be rider's parents) that "this will show those guys" is a bit ridiculous. All this after practice is pretty much over, and with 1 hr to go before the first riders come down.

I can certainly understand his frustration with no help etc, but seriously, that was ridiculous.

Anyways, the reason i even went down (besides just getting to ride my bike) is I rode that course ages ago (years) and loved it. It is super fun despite a few of the oddities it had. The only thing that put me off was that weird move and ensuing yelling match to get my point across and the attitude form the actual plattekill staff about it afterwards.

I guess no one told Laszlo I was actually there covering his event for decline. Oops?

Disorganization and Haterade drinking are part of the Plattekill experience. :brows:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

that wasnt really the section that we had problems with people changing the lines. a couple of upper sections had taped removed and moved completely out of the way creating a straight line instead of going over the double drops. we stood there for 30 mins telling people the straight line is not part of the course...cause you can do two small 3' drops, then you shouldnt be racing pro/exp.

Erik was upset because that wasnt the line we envisioned when building the course 3 weeks ago. he didnt really close it until the very end, but it was reopen end within 5 minutes of him closing it....i dont really think that messed anyone up.

yes the line at the end should have stayed opened. yes it did stay open. yes people moved the course tape at the top. yes those people are dirtbags. yes we are sometimes understaffed and cannot course nazi the course all day. and no, no one told him you were covering for Decline....did you tell him?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
that wasnt really the section that we had problems with people changing the lines. a couple of upper sections had taped removed and moved completely out of the way creating a straight line instead of going over the double drops. we stood there for 30 mins telling people the straight line is not part of the course...cause you can do two small 3' drops, then you shouldnt be racing pro/exp.

Erik was upset because that wasnt the line we envisioned when building the course 3 weeks ago. he didnt really close it until the very end, but it was reopen end within 5 minutes of him closing it....i dont really think that messed anyone up.

yes the line at the end should have stayed opened. yes it did stay open. yes people moved the course tape at the top. yes those people are dirtbags. yes we are sometimes understaffed and cannot course nazi the course all day. and no, no one told him you were covering for Decline....did you tell him?
It only stayed open because of a yelling match in the parking lot. And yes, to his credit, he did go open it right away following said yelling match when I pointed out someone may get killed.

Also, I can fully understand his frustration with that not being the line you guys wanted. It just needed to be taped off Saturday morning, and not sunday at 10am. I don't think anyone would have had a problem with that, the berm was well built etc. It's just that all practice for 2 days, that inside line was there. Then to not only tape it out, but to place a LOG in it an hour before the race...well...that's where my issue was. Like I said, besides that, I loved the course and the work that was put into it.

And also, I agree, the double rock drops were super fun and definitely needed to be on course, not next to it. That straight was closed during the race, wasn't it? I didn't notice.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
And also, I agree, the double rock drops were super fun and definitely needed to be on course, not next to it. That straight was closed during the race, wasn't it? I didn't notice.
yes, we closed that un-authorized line around 11ish on saturday. some people ran through the line still thinking it was open, but we assured them it wasnt.

the person who moved it, didnt just move a small piece of tape. it was a long 50'+ piece of tape that made it into a straight line on a basic drop.
:plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown: to those who decide to redesign our course

we all do understand your frustration Fraser. we're sorry for the confusion about that line....it should have been taped off to go around the giant stump, but it wasnt and that is our fault.
thankfully the line from the saturday was kept in the race on sunday.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
yes, we closed that un-authorized line around 11ish on saturday. some people ran through the line still thinking it was open, but we assured them it wasnt.

the person who moved it, didnt just move a small piece of tape. it was a long 50'+ piece of tape that made it into a straight line on a basic drop.
:plthumbsdown::plthumbsdown: to those who decide to redesign our course
Ah ya, I almost ran into the tape midday on saturday when it was taped off, I thought you meant afterwards.

Aslo, when i saw it, there was like 6 pieces of tape across the entrance. In 2 colors. Kinda hard to miss??? They moved all of that? WTF? It was 2 2' drops?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ah ya, I almost ran into the tape midday on saturday when it was taped off, I thought you meant afterwards.

Aslo, when i saw it, there was like 6 pieces of tape across the entrance. In 2 colors. Kinda hard to miss??? They moved all of that? WTF? It was 2 2' drops?
we put all that tape up there to show you that you cant take it.
it originally was a single piece of long tape that boxed in the drops but was moved to point straight down the hill avoiding the "giant drops."

on another note, does anyone know how the kid who got airlifted out is???

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
we put all that tape up there to show you that you cant take it.
it originally was a single piece of long tape that boxed in the drops but was moved to point straight down the hill avoiding the "giant drops."
That's funny. That section would have been pretty boring in the straight line?

The wall 'o tape method worked well, ha. I wanted to take a picture of it.

sicktrick89

Chimp
Feb 25, 2006
if there is an unknown or faster line inside of the tape then take it, if its outside of the tape then is off limit, what dont people understand.

I wasnt there on Saturday so Im not really sure where the line is at the bottom that is being talked about. Was is right before the roll in for the finish line gap right after the red pad on the tree??

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I wasnt there on Saturday so Im not really sure where the line is at the bottom that is being talked about. Was is right before the roll in for the finish line gap right after the red pad on the tree??
no it was this line that my fat ass is taking:

we wanted you to go around that stump on the right

Last edited:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
sick!
where was that turn? at the very top before the 1st jump?
awesome platty race good weather

Last edited:

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
are we all bitching about those 2 drops that were like 2ft tall towards the end of the top flowy section? i never saw a straight line around them.. and as for that line on the bottom of the hill b4 the finish line jump i never saw it until the end of the day saturday after done riding. Where was the log thrown in?

Overall i had an awesome time at plattekill, and i always love riding the terrain there and i will be back in june.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
are we all bitching about those 2 drops that were like 2ft tall towards the end of the top flowy section? i never saw a straight line around them.. and as for that line on the bottom of the hill b4 the finish line jump i never saw it until the end of the day saturday after done riding. Where was the log thrown in?

Overall i had an awesome time at plattekill, and i always love riding the terrain there and i will be back in june.
yes, but we taped off the straight line round 11am on saturday so not too many people were hitting it.

in the previous pic i posted, the log was where i am in the pic...you can see the log on the left

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
hey kiddies you took a wrong turn. you need to turn around and go back until you see www.pinkbike.com

now back on topic....

course looked rad, congrats to ulmer for winning one and to fraser for not getting hurt while giving us all something to laugh at you about :busted:

hopefully i can make it to the next race and plattekill keeps with the flowy tracks that have been run lately... fingers crossed for both