Quantcast

Plattekill

ninja4life

Chimp
Jul 17, 2009
Bergen County,NJ
looking to head up to plattekill this sunday for the first time. can somebody give me some info on what trails are good. maybe someone can show me around

Thanks

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I won't be around, but honestly, just try to follow people down trails. The triple chair side will probably be open, but the trails are pretty overgrown from not being ridden all summer long. Once you locate them, they're really easy to follow (duh) but you can branch off and explore and whatever else.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you head right, around the lift on the downward side of the hill, there's a trail that pulls you back across the ski slope into the woods. It's relatively shallow but there are lots of natural shale jumps and hits. Ride it once, then ride it again and open it the hell up. Follow that all the way to the end and take a right. You'll have a couple of options from there. About halfway down that trail, you come back out into the ski trail. If you cross it, you get onto hardcore which is classic plattekill. If you head back into the woods to the left, you get back on the trail to the right I mentioned above.

If you head down the ski trail to the right off the lift (facing up the mountain) you go down the middle of the same ski slope, then take a right into the woods, where you'll come right up to a large double- that's the start of the pro GRT course. Follow it down, it's pretty crazy even for plattekill, i was impressed.

You can head left off the lift, again facing up the mountain, and take a very hard left into the first batch of woods. It's fairly overgrown but the trail is there. I can't remember the name but it is labeled. That's a sweet brake burner right down the face of the hill.

You can head further to the left, on the "light blue" trail above, which should take you through the woods and down onto the lower double side trails. There are some great trails there and they are much easier to find. Just keep taking different options till you've hit them all/most of them. You'll meet up with the purple one, and there's another that cuts a little harder to the left of the mountain (again, on map, not looking down the hill). Those are both great trails.

Hmm...again to the right off the lift, you can kind of duck down and past the lift, that takes you into the woods and there's sumjunk there.

Your best bet is to simply follow the trails that you can see, then take whatever branches you find, and explore from there. Plattekill is unique in the way you can do that...most other mountains lock you into a trail from top to bottom, save for a few.