Quantcast

playin in photoshop

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Those are pretty cool man, one suggestion is that when you do a desaturation, and leave 1 part color...Try to keep it to only one element of the photo that way it really stands out. And while we are postingblack and white pics of our girlies...here u are...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Actually i would try and make the grass stand out in this one, make you guys look black and white then adjust the saturation and contrast on the grass to make it really stick out...

lovebunny said:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
nice, guys.
I am wondering how yall got those results...did you duplicate the layer & de-saturate 1 & mask the colored layer? are yall using 1 layer & just select the different portions to de-saturate?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not a big fan of the B&W/color effect - about the only time I find it really effective or compelling is when one tiny piece is left color, and usually something that's not obvious. A piece of jewelery, for instance, or someone's eyes (as long as the eyes aren't taking up a significant portion of the image).

There was a really great one of a cat's face with the eyes still green, and it was very compelling because the cat was gray to start with, and the person slightly desaturated the eyes so you couldn't immediately tell that the image was really B&W with the one color element.

It can be a neat effect, though, and I like the composure of that second picture a lot.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah how do you get that effect? the black and whiote with a lil color stuff that ya got going on there?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
yeah how do you get that effect? the black and whiote with a lil color stuff that ya got going on there?
Well, I don't know specifically how he's doing it (there are many ways), but the way I'd do it is:

- Duplicate your layer
- Convert the new layer to B&W using your method of choice (there's many ways to do it, and they all give you much different effects)
- Erase from the layer anything you want in color - as you erase, you'll see the color show through from the bottom layer.

You can manipulate each layer independantly, then - modify the color layer as it fits best, and the B&W layer to give the best effect.

It's pretty simple, and you can set your eraser tool to have a strong anti-alias effect if you want fuzzy edges which can look good depending on your image.

You can also use the history brush to give you the same effect but you won't have the option of manipulating each layer seperately after the fact.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hmmm i am gonna have to try this. just learning to use my 7.0 its unreal the amount of crap you can do. i'll post one of mine......

i took this photo by leaving my shutter open for 15 seconds. it was taken around 10 at night while camping. the red trees are actually that color because of the fire that was a hundred feet away.

i just did the standard color adjustments and whatnot and added a little grain and some twist to it. in the original all the trees are straight as arrows.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I use that layers trick for a lot of things:

- Tweaking colors/touching up specific parts of the image (e.g. saturating a sunset without turning the people funny colors, or applying heavy noise reduction to a sky without destroying detail in the subject)

- Simulating DoF effects since they're tough to create without an SLR

Layers are a really powerful tool in PS.

That's a great effect you created with those trees.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
stevew said:
I don't use it to much.
that's a cool photo, steve. i would advise against oversaturation, however. looks funny, especially on that green car in the left in the highlights. also, unless you're going for the effect specifically, try to maintain detail in the shadows and in the highlights. losing shadow detail, as in the grille of the center car, can make things look murky.

my contribution to the thread as a photo snapper who uses photoshop mainly for color correction and sharpening (as the last step!):

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Heres some of my stuff:

AMBP idea- I drew the person/bike by hand, then corrected it and did the other parts in photochop.

another AMBP logo idea

2 diamonds I made- first, drew structure in paint, then everything else in photochop. These were for a drawing contest between me and dwaugh (in another thread).

This from another sontest dwaugh and i did: me doing a no footer at whistler
original

stained glass

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
This one I just made b/w and resized.

I really need to read the PS manual and the manual to my camera.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
stevew said:
I don't use it to much.

may i make a suggestion? i would not saturate your colors so much. it causes lots of color blending and bleeding and generally takes out a lot of the detail. just a suggestion though.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA

this one isnt that great, but i had to change the duplicate layer with threshhold adjustment instead of b&w. it wont let me change the duplicate layer to b&w... something about flattening/merging. any advice?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
binary visions said:
Well, I don't know specifically how he's doing it (there are many ways), but the way I'd do it is:

- Duplicate your layer
- Convert the new layer to B&W using your method of choice (there's many ways to do it, and they all give you much different effects)
- Erase from the layer anything you want in color - as you erase, you'll see the color show through from the bottom layer.

You can manipulate each layer independantly, then - modify the color layer as it fits best, and the B&W layer to give the best effect.

It's pretty simple, and you can set your eraser tool to have a strong anti-alias effect if you want fuzzy edges which can look good depending on your image.

You can also use the history brush to give you the same effect but you won't have the option of manipulating each layer seperately after the fact.
here ya go rob.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
binary visions said:

- Duplicate your layer

If you use a mask you can easily correct it when you "erase" too much. just hit the quick mask button on your top layer & paint your mask black where you want the bottom image to come though. if you expose too much just paint white over it & start again. This is much more powerful than using the eraser. You can also add B&W gradients to the mask layer to give you blending between the 2 layers.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Neato i got some stuff i've tweaked but most of my photochop work is subtle edit stuff. When i get my computer back up and running properly i'll see if i can post some stuff i've done.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
so how do you change only one layer to grayscale? it tells me you either have to merge them or flatten them. is there any other way to change it to black and white?