Quantcast

Playstation hates your security

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
after over a week of stringing us along, they throw this at us:

A security breach in the Playstation Network by still unidentified hackers resulted in stolen personal information, Sony confirmed today.

Sony says while personal information was likely stolen they don't believe credit card numbers were and that they hope to have the Playstation Network service back up within a week.....
Among the possible information stolen:

Name
Address (city, state, zip)
Country
Email address
Birthdate
PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login and handle/PSN online ID.
http://kotaku.com/#!5795913/sony-comes-clean-playstation-network-hackers-have-stolen-personal-data

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
eh? where's this uninformed opinion coming from? i play video games with my girlfriend.
In Japan they have places where you can pay young girls dressed as french maids to play on playstation with you. Never tried though. Beging a video game pimp must be one stylish job.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
not a bad gesture i guess....:rolleyes:
a year of identity protection service and free month of PSN Plus (normally $18/3months or $50/year)
To date, there is no confirmed evidence any credit card or personal information has been misused, and we continue to monitor the situation closely. We are also moving ahead with plans to help protect our customers from identity theft around the world. A program for U.S. PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers that includes a $1 million identity theft insurance policy per user was launched earlier today and announcements for other regions will be coming soon.
As we have announced, we will be offering a “Welcome Back” package to our customers once our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are up and running. This will include, among other benefits, a month of free PlayStation Plus membership for all PSN customers, as well as an extension of subscriptions for PlayStation Plus and Music Unlimited customers to make up for time lost.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
"To date, there is no confirmed evidence any credit card or personal information has been misused, and we continue to monitor the situation closely."

You wouldn't believe how many people out there are claiming they have been ripped off....so far just a bunch of attention whores!! I never used my CC for anything on PSN so I'm not so worried.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
good news for Sony i guess
London (CNN) -- A teenager has been arrested near London in connection with the hacking of Sony, London's Metropolitan Police said Tuesday.
The 19-year-old is suspected of hacking into systems and mounting denial of service attacks against "a number of international businesses and intelligence agencies," police said. Naming suspects who have been arrested in Britain is illegal.
Sony's PlayStation Network went down on April 20 after what Sony said was a massive data breach. It had more than 70 million subscribers at the time.
It began coming back on line in mid-May. The PlayStation Store did not reopen until June 2.
The company estimated the cost of that attack will total $171 million.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/06/21/uk.sony.hack.arrest/index.html?iref=NS1