Quantcast

plea for help - body armor for sunday

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
after yet another fall today at the shed (got a golf ball sized lump on my breastbone... whee!) methinks i need some beefier body armor. must. order. stuff. for now, i've got shinguards and elbowguards, but would love it if someone could lend me: full-face helmet, kneeguards, and chest protecty thing.

i'm a 5'7" 130lb female, small build, fyi.

anyone? buehler? anyone?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
ahaa, nice Zach - can I borrow some duct tape?;)

Kirstin if you want to use my pads, it's all XL but you're welcome to borrow it if you think you can fill it out.... I'm injured and not riding this weekend. Also my helmet is sorta out of commission; I'm trying to paint it (turning out REALLY lame, oh well).

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Kirstin - I have a pair of Roach Indy shin/knee pads that you can borrow if you want. They measure 16 inches from the bottom to the part that covers the knee cap. These pads also cover about 3-4 inches above the knee cap. They're even clean at the moment :D . They look more or less like this...

...or I should say looked more or less like that when I got them.

I also have a medium Rockgardn Flak Jacket that I haven't been wearing. You're welcome to try it if for nothing else than to check out the fit if you're in the market for full upper body armor.

I may be riding Sunday up at the 'Shed as well. If so I'll just bring this stuff along. Otherwise, get in touch with me if your interested and I'll find some way to get the stuff to you before the weekend.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by DamienC
I also have a medium Rockgardn Flak Jacket that I haven't been wearing. You're welcome to try it if for nothing else than to check out the fit if you're in the market for full upper body armor.
I've been contemplating getting that flak jacket for a while, but I wasn't sure about fit. If you dont' mind, I'd just like to try it on, on Sunday if you go. Thanks.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by downy
I've been contemplating getting that flak jacket for a while, but I wasn't sure about fit. If you dont' mind, I'd just like to try it on, on Sunday if you go. Thanks.
Sure. No problem.

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by NotQuiteJdm
You should go get that looked at, it might be breast cancer, ha j/k :(
HAHAHA, nah, i already had my double mastectomy when i was 12.

[er, kidding here too.]

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by DßR
ahaa, nice Zach - can I borrow some duct tape?;)

Kirstin if you want to use my pads, it's all XL but you're welcome to borrow it if you think you can fill it out.... I'm injured and not riding this weekend. Also my helmet is sorta out of commission; I'm trying to paint it (turning out REALLY lame, oh well).
that would rock... so does that mean you won't be coming out on sunday? or thursday night (i'm doing urban again! finally!)?

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by DamienC
Kirstin - I have a pair of Roach Indy shin/knee pads that you can borrow if you want. <snip> I also have a medium Rockgardn Flak Jacket that I haven't been wearing. You're welcome to try it if for nothing else than to check out the fit if you're in the market for full upper body armor.

I may be riding Sunday up at the 'Shed as well. If so I'll just bring this stuff along. Otherwise, get in touch with me if your interested and I'll find some way to get the stuff to you before the weekend.
rock. well, i guess email me when you figure out if you're riding sunday and we can take it from there?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by kirstin
that would rock... so does that mean you won't be coming out on sunday? or thursday night (i'm doing urban again! finally!)?
nah, I won't be riding - if you don't end up with Damien's stuff you can swing by my place on the way out to the 'Shed...I'm right near the Beltway/270 split.... probably doesn't matter since DC came to the rescue...:p

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by DßR
nah, I won't be riding - if you don't end up with Damien's stuff you can swing by my place on the way out to the 'Shed...I'm right near the Beltway/270 split.... probably doesn't matter since DC came to the rescue...:p
ok, i guess i'll be borrowing damien's knee/shin things and the flak jacket, but i'm still down a full-face... if no one else has one that will actually be riding, maybe i could swing by and grab yours?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
ok, i guess i'll be borrowing damien's knee/shin things and the flak jacket, but i'm still down a full-face... if no one else has one that will actually be riding, maybe i could swing by and grab yours?
How 'bout I just make life easy and come riding on Sunday. Not like I was doing anything else at 9am on Sunday anyway :D. You can try my full face if you want but I have a feeling it might run a little big. It's a large 661 Full Bravo.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
If you are going up to Massanutten, I have a Balfa Chest protector that I could let go for cheap that should fit you.

Let me know if I should bring it.

CountZero

Chimp
Sep 9, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Take a trip over to Coleman Powersports in Falls Church and buy yourself a moto helmet. In general, they are heavier than BMX/MTB helmets, but afford greater impact protection.

If you're set on a lighter BMX-style helmet, A-1 in Manassas probably has a few in stock. The Vigor Vamoose is pretty nice.

I like Damien's 661 helmet, too, but think the Vigor helmets are a bit more solid.

From a purely philosophical standpoint, maybe it's best that you build confidence riding naked before suiting up? Armor can give you a false sense of safety, you know?

In my opinion (and this is no comment on yours or anyone else's riding skills, ok?), it's best to progress slowly.

Tom

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I'd go against Tom's advice and get yourself as much armor as possible. It's better to be safe than sorry. I now have armor for almost every part of my body, except my calves. Guess what got torn up last weekend? My calves.

CountZero

Chimp
Sep 9, 2003
Falls Church, VA
He he, there is that.

I guess that I'm really just advocating "moderately rapid" progression. Riding without full gear is a way to enforce that pace upon yourself.

Of course, what the heck do I know? My legs are a roadmap of crash scars. And you should see my collarbone. ;)

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by CountZero
Take a trip over to Coleman Powersports in Falls Church and buy yourself a moto helmet. In general, they are heavier than BMX/MTB helmets, but afford greater impact protection.

If you're set on a lighter BMX-style helmet, A-1 in Manassas probably has a few in stock. The Vigor Vamoose is pretty nice.
cool, thanks for the info, i put calls in to both of them, and i think i'll stop by A-1 sometime later this week...

From a purely philosophical standpoint, maybe it's best that you build confidence riding naked before suiting up? Armor can give you a false sense of safety, you know?

In my opinion (and this is no comment on yours or anyone else's riding skills, ok?), it's best to progress slowly.
well, here's the thing - i've been racing XC for a while now, and have plenty of confidence riding downhill really fast... i don't fall often, but when i do, it's pretty spectacular. i've already cracked one helmet and banged myself up pretty nicely a couple of times. plus there's the part where i've never broken any bones and would like to keep it that way ;)

i guess what i'm trying to say is that i know my limits, my riding style won't change with the addition of body armor, it's just going to help keep my medical bills down :)

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by Capt. Jack Sparrow
Kirstin,
I have Dan's old large Azonic upper body armor if you want to borrow it and then give back to Dan.
-Jenn
i think i'll probably use damien's, it might be a bit closer to my size ;)

thanks though!

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by psycle-on
If you are going up to Massanutten, I have a Balfa Chest protector that I could let go for cheap that should fit you.

Let me know if I should bring it.
what size / model / how much / etc?

(and yes, i'll probably be at massanutten)

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
Originally posted by Capt. Jack Sparrow
Kirstin has already earned her stripes as an XC racer. She should be allowed to don protection for once! :)
YEAH!!! what she said!

CountZero

Chimp
Sep 9, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Yup, when I go down, it's usually really hard.

Didn't mean to disparage or discourage.

A couple years ago, when my friends and I got into freeriding, my girlfriend arranged a weeklong trip to BC, with Dangerous Dan's Freeride Tours. While practicing for that trip, I rode foolishly on a very windy day, and busted my collarbone.

No BC trip.

So, every time I ride stunts at the Shed or elsewhere, I remind myself that I own a business, people depend on me, I have to pay the mortgage... and whatever else it takes to control the dark voice that says "I can make it".

My friends and I used to track our sportscars at Summit Point, a 10-turn road course in WV. Last time I drove there, a regular guy tomahawked his car at the end of the straight. He died en route to the hospital.

In his case, there was a roughly one second window in which he should have steered head-on, at >120 mph, into a tire barrier and retaining wall. Doing so, he may have survived.

Instead, he tried to make the first corner. Sliding sideways into the gravel pit, he rolled no less than eight times.

I think, being a regular guy with only a couple years' worth of track time, he wasn't prepared to make a rapid decision of mortal consequence.

Now, I'm not comparing directly the risks of track driving and freeriding, but my point is that it's best to progress slowly, to the point where those rapid decisions are instinctive.

Anyway, sorry about the lecture. I'm sure you all kick some ass out there. And, I know that I have no place advising you what to do. Have fun, and maybe I'll see you out there sometime.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
what size / model / how much / etc?

(and yes, i'll probably be at massanutten)
It is size small (I am 5'9" and around 155). It is like this: http://www.yodobike.com/en/prodcaselequibodyprotec.html but in red and has the short sheeves instead of the armored long sleeves.

I used it maybe 25-30 times and it is still in great shape - no tears or rips or anything. I think I paid around $250 for it several years ago but I could sell it to you for say $85???

I will bring it to Massanutten and you can check it out there and decide then if you like it. A bunch of the guys there know who I am or just look for the yellow V-10.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
not that this the best or ideal way to go... for temporary protection, you could check out "play it again sports" in falls church/seven corners (off rt 7) for some gear. i bought a decent chest protector and a set of knee and elbow pads from them. i believe they were for lacrosse? anyways, i used them to paint silver for a halloween costume this past year.

now, by no means am i saying that these type of pads are DH worthy (limited foam padded protection) or should be used permanently or will get you any cool points out on the trails. they are however a cheap set of temporary pads that might protect ya' from a few bumps and bruises and will only set you back about $50 (what i paid for all of it) until you find/decide/save up for what you really want. besides, you can use them in future halloween costumes as well (silver robot warrior chick).

maybe one day, i'll be streaking down a trail with a silver painted set of wannabe armor ;) better yet, i'll just wear one of my old halloween costumes!

i guess this one would have been too big to ride a bike with, but would have offered some nice "trash can" protection:

but, i could still get my "groove on" in it!

oh bender costume, how i miss you!