Quantcast

Please explain "Family Values" to me

T

Tenaciousle0

Originally posted by rotecguy
exactly... If it wasn't Harry Potter, it would be spiderman, or play-doh, or possibly even asparagus. There is always something.

*note: I do not think that asparagus is really corrupting anyone. Broccoli is.
you've got it all wrong, it's that damn cauliflower

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
So back to the original question...why do you think so many "Family Values" groups have popped up in the latter part of the 20th century? Was it Quayle condemning Murphy Brown, or was it going on before that? And is the "American Family" something that needs to be saved, or should it change with the times?

Discuss...
crackerdamus was right

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I remember when fourgivin1 had all but abandoned RM and his post count sat at 666 until some thread purging happened. Good times, good times.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Care to point out the study that shows that children of single parents suffer more even when accounting for poverty?

http://www3.uakron.edu/schulze/401/readings/singleparfam.htm
However, recent reviews criticize the methodology of many of these studies which support the "deviant" model of single-family structures. Confounding variables, such as income and social class, explain a large portion of the negative findings. When income is considered, substantially fewer differences arise between the intellectual development, academic achievement, and behavior of children in single-parent and two-parent families. Lack of income has been identified as the single most important factor in accounting for the differences in children from various family forms (Casion, 1982; Lindblad-Goldberg, 1989; Amato & Keith, 1991).
(Sorry for the old study, couldn't find anything newer....)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Controlling for income and social class is a red herring, though, since those are so intricately linked with the state of being a young, poor single mother.

Take out the high school dropouts and you're left with a subset of, I'd guess, 35ish single professional women who haven't found a man to suit their fancy and lesbian couples, both groups of which probably make raise kids properly (fwiw) and neither of which are representative of the group of single family households as a whole at all.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Controlling for income and social class is a red herring, though, since those are so intricately linked with the state of being a young, poor single mother.

Take out the high school dropouts and you're left with a subset of, I'd guess, 35ish single professional women who haven't found a man to suit their fancy and lesbian couples, both groups of which probably make raise kids properly (fwiw) and neither of which are representative of the group of single family households as a whole at all.
And yet, that single description fits Murphy Brown perfectly....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
wonder when she'll suicide bomb an abortion clinic. or a public library. or a school. or just accidentally shoot herself while cleaning her gun.
We can look to the past and present most successful genocide program in recent times, Manifest Destiny - "God" call us to tame and convert the West into "heaven"

Or in more modern times - Jonestown Methodist mothers helped their innocent children drink the kool-aid. Heaven's Gate, Branch Davidians, YFZ Ranch, etc, etc - lots of delusional religious extremists harming (directly or indirectly) innocents here too...

Also the Tea Party has a ton in common with that guy that blew up a school in Bath over taxes: http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/18/bath_school_bombing_remembering_the_deadliest_school_massacre_in_american.html

Last edited: