Quantcast

please explain gearing to me?

MR.SPEED

Chimp
Mar 5, 2013
hey everyone, i want to change my stp1 to single speed but i know **** all about gearing.

i have a bmx with 25-9 gearing and i hate it, its to hard when i start pedaling going slow but when i want to got faster it feels like i dont have a chain on.

what gearing would make it easyer to pedal and still be able to pedal faster when im going faster?

im thinking 30-12 by what i hear is good for DirtJumping, but im not just dirt jumping ill be commuting aswell.

so now i hope you see my problem, can you guys who know more than me please explain it to me and recomend what gearing you think matches what im asking for.

thanks in advance,

Speedy.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
"what gearing would make it easyer to pedal and still be able to pedal faster when im going faster?"

Gears you can shift.
yeah what he said ! :D

25/9 on 20" wheels is a normal/standard ratio for bmx. the 26" wheel equivalents are shown on this chart and would be close to 55.5 gear inches. If you want spinnier, use a combination that is smaller than 55.5, if you want stouter, use a combination that is higher than 55.5.

Last edited:

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Pluuuuuus. You have multiple gears right now correct (stp1)....... so run it whithout changing gears to find the combo that suits you most, count them teach, do the math, get the ratio, then pick out a combo from the table that will reproduce it.

unless i'm missing something here...