Quantcast

Please help - Damper oil leak - Boxxer 2006-2009 model

Aug 20, 2010
I face a problem :rant: with my Boxxer Team ('06-'09 model).

Actually the problem is that below the compression (blue) knob I see oil leaking.

I notice that the knob is loose a bit. What I mean is that by pushing the knob down gently you feel it moving up and down.

I need some sort of advice how to fix the problem.

Also do you know any website from where I can order O-rings and other spare parts for my Boxxer cause we do not have a proper service center and mechanic in my country and I will have to perform a service my self.

Thanks

M

(Below I attached a photo showing exactly the area of the leak)

Attachments

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
One common cause is the square-profile o-ring being displaced underneath the tab that limits the range of motion of the LSC adjuster. To get at this o-ring:
1. Pull the compression assembly out of the fork
2. Remove the adjuster knobs from the top of the compression assembly (actually don't remember whether this is necessary but I think it is) by undoing the grub screw in the gold dial, and removing the circlip holding on the blue dial.
3. Undo the plastic spring tube from the top cap - this is REVERSE threaded. Easiest way to do it is with a 24mm (I think) socket on the top cap, and a rag held around the plastic tube by hand. Remember, reverse threaded!
4. Remove the blue compression piston from the bottom of the plastic tube by undoing the set screw in the side and sliding it out (not actually sure that this one is necessary either, this is all just from memory). Take note of the orientation of the piston and particularly the silver LSC plate at the bottom, relative to the flat tab that slots into the LSC adjuster plate.
5. With the plastic tube removed, you can see the tab that's connected to the LSC adjuster that limits its range of movement, and the slot that's cut out for that tab to sit in. Just below that slot is the square o-ring, which often pops out into that slot and lets oil past into the top cap assembly. From memory, I'm pretty sure you can just slide the inside and the outside of those bits apart. Pop the o-ring back into place (you'll notice it doesn't sit very tight in its groove). If you can find a really thin o-ring of the right diameter, you can put it above the square o-ring (still jammed into the same groove) to stop it being able to shift up in its groove, which should prevent it happening again.
6. Reassemble everything and ride it.

I'm not guaranteeing that this is the problem, nor can I guarantee that the above method will permanently fix it, but it costs you nothing to try.