Quantcast

please help... dhx5 problem...

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Today my sunday’s dhx5 got a weird problem…
All was ok.
We got to the car in the morning and had a 2 hours drive to the mountains for a DH day.
The bike was upside down all the way.
When I got to the mountain I turn the bike on its wheels and notice it has a strange clank on the end of the shock… what went wrong?
The shock work ok on the entire stroke but the last half an inch up the travel…
It feels like it doesn’t have any oil I the last half an inch of the travel.
But no oil got out of it. It’s all clean…

What can I do?

Thanks

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
is your spring on crooked, sometimes if it is knocked out of alignment it can bind, clank, rub, etc. . .

i seriously doubt anything is wrong with the shock and would have to guess something got knocked out of wack in transit. i rebuilt a DHX in the parking lot for a guy last year because it was topping out terribly all of a sudden. I took it apart, rebuilt it piece by piece and when i went to reinstall it for him i noticed his Sunday's swingarm was hitting the e13 chainguide. it had rotated on impact and wasn't allowing the swingarm to fully extend. . .

not saying this is your problem, but there are a lot of other misajustments that can feel like a shock problem. . .

of course there is also the posibility that your shock it in fac roached, but try to rule everything else out first.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
No man
Everything is in place
There is a top out clank.
The spring is tight
And I've also check the air

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Your shock got air in the oil chamber and needs a bleed.
Yo better contacato fox , or if you are smart like me you can fix it with a couple of tools, a liter of 7,5w oil and a coke bottle....

lukebikes

Chimp
Dec 30, 2007
bay area
wat might have happend is wen you let it sit upsidedown for to long all the oil flows to the top end of your shock. and takes a wile to drain bakc down to normal. or depending on your altitude change and the factor that the bikes was upside down you could have gotten some air in there which is all bad.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
not saying this is your problem, but there are a lot of other misajustments that can feel like a shock problem. . .
:stupid: Last week I thought I had blown out My romic, Same thing Immeadeatly I thought shock is dead, but remembered to check out the entire bike first. Found teh main pivot bearing were trashed, and were more like oversized washers instead of bearings. Scary part was I could not tell for sure untill I had just the lower swing arm isolated. replaced teh bearings and blam bike rides great again

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
wat might have happend is wen you let it sit upsidedown for to long all the oil flows to the top end of your shock. and takes a wile to drain bakc down to normal. or depending on your altitude change and the factor that the bikes was upside down you could have gotten some air in there which is all bad.

Really????

BTW, where do you get a keyboard that types like that??

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
I had a DHX that had an internal bushing that needed to be repalced and it acted similar to yours.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You have no idea at all.

If the internal floating piston seal has gone, you can have air in the shock without there being oil on the outside. However, it's hard to tell what the exact problem is without having the shock in view.