Quantcast

please help me

stickmann

Chimp
May 17, 2008
I posted this in the dh section and I guess nobody could take ten seconds out of their day to respond, hopefully I can get some answers here.

I'm sure you guys get questions like this all the time and get tired of them, but I searched the forum and couldnt find what I was looking for.
so here goes, I know nothing about mtb's, I have riden bmx some dirt mostly street and now I want to try this, basically I've watched a lot of vids like roam and seasons and have a h@!# on for that style of riding. Yes I know I wont be doing anything close to that for a long time, but that wont stop me from attempting to kill myself trying it. So my question is what do you guys recommend for an introductory hardtail for a guy who is 6'1" 185lbs and can only spend $500-$700 at this time but hopes to be able to upgrade parts as skill improves and money allows. I know there are tons of opinions and preferences but I would really like some of yours.

Thanks in advance

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't think there's such a thing as a DH bike for that little money... probably the reason for the lack of response?

I'd stick to about $500 and get a xc bike, hardtail like you've already considered. I wouldn't upgrade anything, until it breaks, and then, do the upgrade for xc riding purposes.

As for what to get, eh, at that price point, they're all so similar that I'd based on two criteria:

1. buy from a good, reputable LBS
2. paint color

Seriously, what the difference between a a $500 Giant, Trek, Kona, Jamis, whatever? I say not much.

Apr 29, 2008
Travis AFB
I was in the same situation. I was looking at the Giants. But went with a gary fisher mullet. I love this bike and it was about the price you are looking for. I know alot of people seem to not like it but its good for an entry level bike for me. :banana:

stickmann

Chimp
May 17, 2008
I have been leaning towards the specialized rockhopper, one of my problems is there are no lbs by me, I have to drive an hour to get to the nearest one and they only have a few in stock and they are treks. I will have to drive 2hrs to look at the rockhopper, so i'm trying to get as much info as possible before I spend a lot of time on the road. Thanks for the replies.

Apr 29, 2008
Travis AFB
I spent a lot of time on here and mtbr looking at reviews. I would def do some research and for sure ride before you buy. even if you order on the web ride one in person first. I spent about a month looking before I bought. and now im already looking for my next upgrade.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i would say that if your looking for a DH specific, maybe do some research on who makes what and look on ebay or craigslist. i doubt that you'd find a DH bike used that cheap unless it's older than 2yrs or really beat up. as far as frame size, i'd go your LBS and try what they have and see what works. if you can fit into say a trek, then knowing the geometry will help you with other makers. if you got 2 bikes with the same geom. then it goes down to the parts and usually at that price their all pretty much the same. price difference should be nominal so it goes down to do you feel better being seen on bike maker A or maker B. it's one thing to look good, but really spend it on something that has a good rep with frame construction, warranty issues.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have been leaning towards the specialized rockhopper, one of my problems is there are no lbs by me, I have to drive an hour to get to the nearest one and they only have a few in stock and they are treks. I will have to drive 2hrs to look at the rockhopper, so i'm trying to get as much info as possible before I spend a lot of time on the road. Thanks for the replies.
You have NO LBS closer than an hour?

I would buy ANY bike sold at any GOOD LBS that's "close" to you. Sorry, but there just isn't one bike that is that much better than another in this price range. "Buy" the LBS.

stickmann

Chimp
May 17, 2008
there is a Giant canyon ds for sale near me for $450 its full suspension, has upgraded Suntour brakes and is basically brand new. Would this be a better choice?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
If you want a decent big hit bike, do not buy a crappy bike for $450. Ride a lot of different bikes at a few LBSs, buy the frame you like and build it up tasty as money allows. You're better off in the long run and happy as hell with your custom bike.

Trying to go big on a low quality bike, or without proper gear is not a good idea. In fact, it's a really bad idea.

If you're in a hurry, buy a Specialized Hard Rock for $450 and replace everything with great components over time and when you can afford, buy a nice full sus frame and swap the parts.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You might be able to find a Specialized P.All Mountain, which was a hybrid between a DJ and a trail bike. I think you could get an used one for about $600.

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
you might want to do a lot of research and look into something used. If you really want to ride agressively, you do not want a trek/giant/whoever xc hardtail.

SvCoop

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
I decided to buy used when i recently decided to get back into MTB. I ended up buying a Kona Hahanna. It i sok for light riding, I wouldn't recommend it for anything serious though.