Quantcast

Please help, what are the best parts?

c-p

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Hi, I'm planning on getting a new mounatin bike very soon and I'm just wondering what parts are best and I'd be very greatful if you could help me out here as I've done a bit of searching and come up with nothing.

Brakes: what's the best type of brakes for mountain bikes?
I'm thinking it's probably disc brakes but I'm not sure.

Gears: what are the best type of gears? microshift, E.Z. fire shifters, etc, etc?

Do the new dual suspension bikes (£200-300) perform as well as they look?

Is there anything else I should know about before selecting a new mountain bike?

Cheers

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hi, welcome to the :monkey: .

my advice would be to go down to your local bike shop. don't buy a bike from the local department store chain, especially a £200-300 dual suspension one! in that price range you'd be much better off with a front-suspension-only rig purchased from a real bike shop.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I think you'd get more useful responses if you tell us a bit about yourself.

What kind of riding/terrain do you plan to use the bike for? How tall/heavy are you? etc.

200-300 pounds translates to what, about $300-500 US? I think most people will tell you that a dual suspension bike in that range isn't worth it.

c-p

Chimp
May 25, 2004
I plan to possibly buy from ebay as there are a few good discounts on there or a local bike shop near me, I really would prefer a dual suspension bike and I'd be riding just for fun, in parks and on little hills no real mountains here :p

I don't suspect I'd need to spend a huge amount to get what I need but I'd like to at least know what parts are best to be a little clued up before I spend my cash.

Thanks

c-p

Chimp
May 25, 2004
I'm 5 ft 9' - 10½ stone, I plan to ride on roads, parks and small hills.
I know I wouldn't get an amazing bike for what I'm willing to spend but it would still be pretty good no?

Any help on what parts are best?

BTW, thanks on the welcome :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You don't need full suspension for what you described - honestly it just wastes physical effort if you are not off roading. Look for an entry level mountain bike - like a Giant Iguana.

c-p

Chimp
May 25, 2004
ok just disregard that part. I want to get a dual suspension bike, I'm one of those people that will get something with that little extra just incase I ever need it.

So can anyone answer my question about what parts are best and if there is anything else I should look out for?

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
ok....but what kind of riding do you plan on doing?

how much money do you plan to spend on this thing???

Parts are very particular to what kind of riding you are planning on doing.

for XC riding...if money were not a factor...i'd go for something with a full shimano XTR drivetrain, fox/manitou/marzocchi suspended. For example, the Gary Fisher sugar Team is a great ride...but will set you back like 4 grand(usd).

As far as disc brakes go...i wouldnt bother with them unless; A. you plan on freeriding and have no intention of buying an XC rig. or B. you live somewhere were it rains 10 hours a day and V-brakes would stop working due to the wet conditions.

hope that helps(somewhat)

Axle
EDIT: forgot to read your previous posts on where you plan to ride. Get a cheap road bike or a comfort bike...no need for a full squisher

c-p

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Thx axlvid23, that kinda answers one of my questions.
So disc brakes are better for wet conditions then?
The conditions here in Scotland are pretty wet a lot of the time.

What about gears, what's the best or what are the plus & minuses of each....are there any other parts I should know about, are there different types of suspension or anything?

I appreaciate the replies but please, I want a full suspension bike, I'm not ruling out ever going off-road with the bike, it's always a possibility, some days I just ride one direction until I get bored, so i may well take to the beaten track.
I'm not looking for reccomendations on bikes as I know you guys are totally into mountain biking and go for the best stuff.

Thanks

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by c-p
ok just disregard that part. I want to get a dual suspension bike, I'm one of those people that will get something with that little extra just incase I ever need it.

So can anyone answer my question about what parts are best and if there is anything else I should look out for?
Look to spend 600-100 pounds :)

Seriously, Give us a name of the bike you are looking at or the ebay link. If is it a department store $150usd bike we will tell you.

If you decide to spend $$$ on a bike that is only slightly better than a boat anchor just to know you have a spring under your azz, than we can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.

1- link us to the bike you want give us some info.

2- listen or don't listen to us but don't get mad if most of the people are naysayers to buying a cast iron bike that is "full suspension"

3- for spending as little as you are a decent HT will go farther faster and you will be happier than a cheaper FS bike for the same price (cheaper = crappier, does not mean less money)

The Special HardRock series is nice. I have one. They are HT's but give you better components (which make the ride). The Giant Iguana is also a good choice.

Like has been said before more info and we can guide you but you make teh ultimate choice....good or bad.

c-p

Chimp
May 25, 2004
I like the rugged look of both this bike and this bike

Please can someone answer the question about the gears first and we can go onto what's good and what's not afterwards.
If I had enough money to spend on an awesome bike $1000/£1000 worth, I would but I don't have that kind of cash unfortunately.

Rhino, I don't know what HT stands for but I can figure it's a regular non suspension bike maybe? or half suspension?
You say though that these will get me farther faster, how so? Are full suspension bikes much heavier or something?

All the bikes you posted there look great but it wouldn't be practical for me to buy from the US...although I'd get a better bike for cheaper than from UK the shipping prices would probably give me a heart attack lol

Cheers

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
HT stands for "hardtail" which is the common name given to a mountain bike with no rear suspension.

Full suspension bikes are generally heavier, but thanks to technology, the weights are coming down. Unfortunately, the same technology bringing the weight down is driving the cost up.

I only have hardtails (for now) so can't be much help in recommending an FS for you. I will say that a cheap FS bike is usually cheap because of low end components, ie. shock, fork, shifters, wheels, cranks, etc. Low end components are usually cheap because they're made from cheaper, heavier materials. Sure you can upgrade components later, but you would save a lot of money in the long run by postponing your purchase a month or two to save some extra cash for a better bike.

By gears, I see you're referring to the shifting mechanisms, shifters for short. The two major brands, at least in the US, are Shimano and SRAM. The drivetrain (cassette, cranks, derailleurs) and shifters on the Carnage are of the Shimano Altus line. According to the Shimano website,"Altus is a 7-speed MTB-style component group..." In other words, it's not designed for off-road use. It's probably just fine for cruising around town though.

c-p

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Thanks Bikegeek, unfortunately I don't suppose I'll ever have a brilliant bike, I just wouldn't be able to afford it and the fact is that even if I did postpone my purchase of a bike...I have so much else to buy and i'll be skint at the end of it, your post helped me understand some things a good bit there though and even if I do get a not so good bike, this looks like a good forum to hang around and learn a bit about what I would be cycling. :)

Could you go into more detail about the gear shifters, like what is the best type? or if there is no best one then, do certain ones have benefits over the others? I've used gripshift before and an old type that it was just 2 levers you moved back and forth with your thumbs.
What shifters do you prefer and why?

Sorry for all the questions ;)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Shifters are definitely personal preference. I currently have a set of Shimano Rapidfire shifters. They have a thumb lever that shifts one way and a finger trigger that shifts the other. The only downside to them for me is that there are only three positions available through the shifter for the front derailleur. I miss being able to fine tune the position for certain chainring/cassette combinations. The SRAM Gripshift shifters allowed that adjustablity. I may go back to Gripshift for a front shifter, but keep the Rapidfire shifter for the rear shifting.

I can't say there is a best. I've used both and both had pros and cons. Stop by a bike shop and test ride a bike with each to see what you prefer.

c-p

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Cool, I did like the gripshift before so I may go back to them.

As everyone here seemed to be discouraging me from getting a pretty cheap full suspension bike what is your opinion on the 2 bikes I posted? personally I think they do look pretty heavy, I like the look of them but the may not be all too good. the yellow enrage bike retails for £289.99 and the black enforce bike retails for £299.99 but ebay have them cheaper

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've never heard of the manufacturer, but that doesn't mean it's bad, it just means they aren't selling them in the US. Most of the components listed are pretty standard for low end bikes. Functional, but nothing special. I've never heard of the shock manufacturer, but maybe they don't deal in the US market either. In the picture, they appear to have a 1" steering tube. Again, functional, but I wouldn't ride it on the terrain that the bike's image projects it's suitable for. I'd be a little bothered by the write-up telling you what kind of shock protector is on the rear shock, but not what the rear shock is. It's going to be heavy. I found a review that compared the weight of the Enforce to that of the Sun. :eek: Looks aren't everything.

With all that said, if all you intend to do is cruise around town or down to the pub, by all means, get it, ride it, and love it. Bikes are supposed to offer a fun way to get you from point A to point B and this bike will do that just fine. But, if you look inside yourself and somewhere in there see yourself someday flying through the woods on a skinny ribbon of dirt, or screaming down a hill over knarly, rooty, rocky sections then this is not the bike for you.

c-p

Chimp
May 25, 2004
I found a review that compared the weight of the Enforce to that of the Sun. :eek:
:D that part made me laugh :D

Cheers for the breakdown of the bike, I never thought choosing a bike could be so difficult :confused: :p
I do know looks aren't everything but I always try to aim for a middle ground where looks are on a par with performance, I mean, I couldn't get an awesome bike if it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen and vice versa.
I'll take a week or so to have more of a look and decide what I want and what I want it for. In the meantime Thanks for your help and I hope you guys don't mind if I have some more questions.

Ricky

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I'm not ruling out ever going off-road with the bike, it's always a possibility, some days I just ride one direction until I get bored, so i may well take to the beaten track
A HT (hardtail - bike with only a suspension fork) will take you anyplace a FS (full-suspension or "dualie" ) will. Most HT's will climb hills better than a dualie will, due to the lack of suspension "bob". The main difference is a hardtail will cause you to feel bumps more, and you will have to pick better lines. In the long run you should become a better rider overall by starting on a HT. A $600 HT will be 2-3 x's the bike a $600 FS is. Once you progress into "real" mtb'ing, the cheap FS will probably break, while the HT will still be going strong.

As far as components, look for Shimano. Deore, LX, XT. For a fork, stick to the major brands: Rockshox, Manitou.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ummmm - everyone is being polite, not me though :devil:

Both of the bikes you linked are crap - I wouldn't buy either of them for any price. Honestly the minimum level component group you'll was it Shimano Deore.

Don't buy looks - buy function. You say you are a bit skint - buying a cheap bike just to have the cool look and full suspension will end up costing you more in the long run - when something breaks (and something will) you most likely will not be able to fix it - you can't take department store bikes to a shop to be fixed. Most bike mechainics won't touch them... plus they have many parts that are made of low grade steel - rust buckets in 90 days or less.

We have all offered pretty sound advice - you are not going to get a decent FS rig new for the bucks you have available. You, however, can get a fairly decent hardtail for the bucks.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
You should really consider a nice hardtail with deore or LX components. It will be way more efficient on the road and can handle everything offroad. You can always upgrade components as you get a little money.

Most major brands use the same frames for a group but the price difference comes with upgrades in the components.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Ok from what I can figure out....$350usd = about 193 british pounds. Another $100usd (about 56 british lb) for shipping next day to Europe.........according to their website.

That totals around 250 british pounds for a bike that is so far ahead from the bike you listed it is crazy. It is a MUCH better bike....and I think it looks better, than the bike you listed. ;) :)

Take another look. I don't know the company but they have a crap load of these bikes for sale on ebay right now.

SOme info from their add on Ebay.
<snip>
(2004 Pro Shop Retail Price List for this Bike is $1,500 )

This particular bike has the newest MINI Monocoque(uniframe construction)design and this design is consider to be the strongest frame design available on the market today. With A hollow tech 7005 Aluminum "100% HAND BUILT PERCISION TIG WELDING" and top end components to reduce the weight, this bike weight in at only 29lbs complete. It perform wonderfully under the most extreme conditions and with the Brand New 2004 Rock Shox Judy TT Black (made in USA), Shimano Deore 27spd/SRAM X-7 combo, Avid 2.0 V- Brake, and many many high end components will make this bike worth over $1,500 at any pro shop.
I have listed all the components clearly for your comparison! Beware of others that sell lower quality "fake" Mountain bikes by avoiding the names. i.e. SRAM , Shimano 24spd, 27spd, (what type? Acera? Deore? XT?) Usually when they don't list it, it means Tourney Or lower which is your Wal-Mart bike and NO COMPARISON to the "Real Mountain bikes" I am selling! & Front and Rear Suspensions (what type? Rock Shox, Cane Creek, Manitou, La Pierre, RST, Fastrax?) Again, if they don't list it, it means Wal-Mart shocks and not the quality you want when you are up there in the Mountain ALONE! Surely you don't want to carry the bike back to the Bottom! So print out the list and compare! Both my Low Price and Quality will stand out!

*MODEL:FASTRAX MINI MONOCOQUE 8.5NX,
*COLOR: YELLOW,
*TUBING:EASTON 7005 SUPERLITE WT. ALUMINUM ALLOY ,
*FORK: ROCK SHOX JUDY TT BLACK (MADE IN USA),
*REAR SHOCK: LA PIERRE/FASTRAX OIL/SPRING
*HEADSET:AHEADSET,
*SPOKES:MAXXIS
*RIMS:MAXXIS,
*TIRES: 26x1.90 MAXXIS,
*SHIFTER:SRAM X-7 (Equal to SHIMANO LX Rapid Fire),
*FRONT DERAILLEUR:SHIMANO DEORE 27SPD
*REAR DERALILLEUR:SRAM X-7 (Equal to SHIMANO LX Rapid Fire) 27SPD,
*CASSETTE:SRAM X-7 9 RINGS
*CHAIN:SHIMANO CN-HG73,
*CRANKSET:POSS (RACE FACE),
*BOTTOM BRACKET:FSA, *SEAT POST:ALLOY,
*SADDLE: SCOTT YZ,
*HANDLEBAR:ALLOY,
*HANDLEBAR Stem:HL ALLOY,
*Grips/Bar Tape:SPALDING,
*BRAKE: AVID 2.0,
*BRAKE LEVERS:KOSKI BRAKE LEVER,
*PEDALS:WELLGO
This bike is Brand New in the box and all parts been tune to perfection. It is already 95% assembled as packaged by the factory and only few parts to put together, but due to shipping journey to your location, you might want to have a professional shop assemble the rest and tune it up for the best performance. I have these bikes which will fit most riders 5'2" TO 6'3". Email me at Ragtopmb at aol.com if you have any questions.

PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS:
I will ship this bike to the 48 states for $45 via FedEx/UPS. "Special Europe FedEx Air" shipping rate"- Most location $100 via Next Day Air.(Please email to confirm) I take checks, money orders, and PayPal. You can log on to PYAPAL.COM and send fund to my account:Ragtopmb@aol.com. PAYPAL payments will be in next day shipping - shipments paid by check and money order will be shipped upon clearing of the payment.(normally 7-10 days). I will sent the tracking# the day after ship out for your reference.Thank you so much for bidding and please e-mail me with any question or comments at Ragtopmb at aol.com. Attenion:PC