Quantcast

Please help!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
both my front and rear brake sound like finger nails on a chalk board really bad to the point in wich my whole bike rattles i have gotten new bads and my brakes have all been looked at by the local bike mechanics but nothing. has this happened to you and how would you fix it, thank you

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
thanks adam you can just tell me tommorow at school plus i know more about bike than you do

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Two suggestions:

First of all, try re-aligning everything. Be meticulous about it, too, don't just slap it together. Pull the brakes off, grease your bolts, and very carefully re-install them. That sometimes solves squealing.

The second suggestion is to get your brake mounts faced - not all shops will have a tool for it, though. That's often a cause of brake squeal.

You didn't tell us what kind of brakes you're running, though! Also, have they always been like this or did something change recently?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
they have always been like that but they have gotten worse and they are hayes 9 mag

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i have tried to raline them and they don't touch the pads when they spin free but the sound ony is when i us my brakes amnly on downill decent

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Like I said, if you're careful about your re-installation, and it still happens, it's probably a frame issue and you need to get your brake mounts faced.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
definitely face the brake mounts as binary visions has suggested. If that doesn't solve it, here are two somewhat simple suggestions that could help: First, try simply throwing dirt into the rotors and pads and then riding around with the brakes on for a while (sounds silly but its a suggestion strait from Avid for a similar problem). also, try removing the pads and scoring a criss cross pattern on them with a sharp razor blade.