Quantcast

Please, respect the land owners...

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
This happened at Kingdom Trails in VT, but could just as easily be anywhere else. Don't act like an entitled prick.

Sadly yesterday I had an encounter with a biker that makes me question why we allow access on any of our property...maybe the Burringtons have it right...I’m hoping the biking community proves me wrong.
Overnight a biker (from New York) decided they needed to break our gate to gain access to our parking area. They parked up there, slept in their car and went for a ride like it was no big deal...
Most likely this was done to avoid answering questions about their quarantine.
Fixing the gate is cheap...reaffirming my belief that this is the exception and not the rule is going to be tough.
We are tired of the illegal parking, the sense of entitlement and now the damage to our property. As a mountain biking family we just don’t have any answers for this ongoing behavior.
This is the warning that we shouldn’t have to give.
Respect the trails, respect private property and be good human beings. Rise up to the basic level of respect we all ask from each other.
RIDE WITH GRATITUDE...because when the trails are all closed and land isn’t accessible there will be no coming back from it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
People are just assholes and idiots.

What normal thinking person would break through a locked gate and expect no consequences?

When you see no trespassing signs, it's usually not a good idea to go ahead and trespass.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought the KT thing would blow over after the landowners got some concessions from the KTA organization...now I think this might be the death knell for KT in general. I guess I better get up there before they close for good.

I thought the KT thing would blow over after the landowners got some concessions from the KTA organization...now I think this might be the death knell for KT in general. I guess I better get up there before they close for good.
I doubt that they'll close for good, but I think it unlikely that I'll return. The strongest attractor for me was being able to put in a forty or fifty mile day without too much retracing of paths.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you're probably right that they won't close, but even now you cannot complete a top or bottom loop, even on VAST or the fireroads near the river. You're stuck climbing out, heading down the road, then ducking back in....add to that a couple more pissed off landowners who realize they are letting terrible people on their land for nothing, and you're on shaky ground.

I still maintain that the best trails aren't really on darling hill, but it's part of what makes KT so great.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Yeah, have you seen the map for this season? Darling hill got decimated on both sides of the road. :(

That said, the White School loops are still pretty fun and there is/will be a connector from town all the way out to East Haven called Flower Brook that looks good for people chasing mileage.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I doubt that they'll close for good, but I think it unlikely that I'll return. The strongest attractor for me was being able to put in a forty or fifty mile day without too much retracing of paths.
I need to find more places that offer that kind of mileage without retracing ones steps.

From the Green Mountain Trails Facebook page...

"One of my biggest fears surrounding these trails that so many people have worked so hard to build and put on the map came to fruition today. Some riders blundered into some clearly posted private property and instead of apologizing and doing an about face, they chose to berate the landowners. Not just any landowners, but ones that have been so gracious with their property, that there is a trail bearing their name. We are trying our best to make amends, but trail closures could be imminent. Yup, it’s happening again."

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

"One of my biggest fears surrounding these trails that so many people have worked so hard to build and put on the map came to fruition today. Some riders blundered into some clearly posted private property and instead of apologizing and doing an about face, they chose to berate the landowners. Not just any landowners, but ones that have been so gracious with their property, that there is a trail bearing their name. We are trying our best to make amends, but trail closures could be imminent. Yup, it’s happening again."

It has been a long time since I have lived in the North East, I kind of remember there being a lot of giant throbbing assholes. Perhaps I am not too far off.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

see my suggestion

having never ridden KT, they should just shut it all down completely for a year or 2 to get the point across.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Shut down or not, these types of idiots will just ignore it anyway. I mean engaging people on private property? Fuck off and go home, we don't need you in the biking community.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Shut down or not, these types of idiots will just ignore it anyway. I mean engaging people on private property? Fuck off and go home, we don't need you in the biking community.
:stupid:

quite a shock to have ungrateful trolls in the mtb community. I guess as it grows you get some of those...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
:stupid:

quite a shock to have ungrateful trolls in the mtb community. I guess as it grows you get some of those...
As cycling continues to grow, it's less of a community and more a reflection of society as a whole, and society as a whole has more than enough clueless assholes to go around. Sadly, it's another lesson in "be careful what you wish for".

I grew up in NE but left more than 20 years ago and don't really ever get back, but I've heard good things about the Kingdom Trails and would love to check them out some day. Hope it works out.