Quantcast

Please talk me out of it!! (29er related)

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
So Im an x dh'er who just got back into mtb.. riding "enduro"..

Been riding a Giant Reign XO which I like...can pin the descents and it gets me to the top...for 75% of the trails I ride the 160mm is more than welcome as its really rough and rocky..

those same trails are also the kind you ride to the top then ride down..no up and down xc type riding...the mnts go from sea level to 3k'...

The Reign climbs good but it requires lowering the Talas equipped Fox 36 and flipping the Propedal knob..

one of the climbs I do have some square edges..pretty gnarly stuff where the bike definitely likes to get hung up but that trail is the minority as most are fairly mellow fire roads or pavement climbs..usually about 8miles up and slightly less down..

sometimes I like to link up a few trails and spend a good 4-5hrs in the saddle climbing about 5500' of vertical and descending about the same..

Ive been totally content with the Reign until recently when Kona's new Process 111 caught my eye..my local shop got one in and I gotta say the things badass...super low and slack..it manuals good and feels flickable...

I've been trying to resist the urge to get a second 29er trailbike with less travel for the other 25% of trails I ride that the 160mm Reign is overkill on..

also the idea of not having to lower the fork between climbing and descending also appeals to me..it would make some trails that do have climbs midway more fun and not fumbling for the propedal knob and talas would help my strava times :brows: lol...

less travel with bigger wheels seems like it would make sense..

If $ wasnt an issue I would slap down the 3700$ for the process 111 right now and be happy with two bikes but thats not the case..basically the kona is out of my price range so I would have to build something up from a used frame..

found a few Trance X 29ers for a reasonable price...the fact that its basically the same as the Reign makes sense as it would be easier to switch between the two but at 5" of travel is it going to even be much different??

the Reign in 31.5lbs +/- Could prob get the Trance between 27-29lbs without breaking the bank...Im basically going to have to sell some crap to build one so I want to make sure I'm not going to be building two of the same bike..one with bigger wheels that dosnt turn as good...

Im just not sure the Trance 29er is going to have the same fun, flickable feel that the Process would and would it be that much better than the Reign for all day epics or smoother trails???

I really shouldnt build another bike but for some reason I cant get the thought out of my head..please talk me out of it..especially since i thought I would be 26" for life..I gotta say that Process got me second guessing that though..

Last edited:

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Funny,I was looking at a cheap sette carbon 29er (1100). Seems like a fair price for a clown bike. If I go that route I can afford to keep my stump jumper and make it a bit more trail bike than xc.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Dont do it. I ride a norco shinobi 29er140f/120r travel and more aggresive geometry than a trance x.
If you need reign x then a 29er will probably be disappointing. It will be faster almost everywhere, but you will miss the loss of travel (big wheels dont help on big hits, just chattery stuff) and the flexier wheels kinda sucks.
The bike you want is the new 27.5 trance sx.
If you can wait a year they will be second hand and there will be other options, you will be better off.

This sounds like a total slag, it isnt. I love my shinobi, but, like any bike it has its limits. Its fast, seriously fast. I can ride most anything on it but there is no substitute for travel when the rocks get bigger than baby heads. In the microwave sized stuff i have to back off. When its super steep - "Dont go up there without a dh bike and full face helmets" - the big wheels flex too much and get in the way when you are off the back.
Straight up, straight down type trails dont favour one wheel size over the other, in my experience, as much as you'd think. Rolling terrain where you hold more than 15-20mph the 29er rules. Roots, off camber, threading a narrow line the win goes to 29er, big stuff just means the most travel wins and really, really steep stuff the 26er wins.

If you were happy on a 5" travel 26er then it would be a different story, but its only the new crop of 27.5 stuff that has improved on current 150-160mm travel bikes.

All just my opinion of course, with only a first taste of 27.5, but plenty of 26 vs 29 time while riding like a downhiller.

SCARY

Not long enough
Did you click on the wrong forum?

Wide open.

There's a good 29r/gay screen name if their ever was one.

(just FYI. I don't give a sh1t what people ride,but the whole 29r bashing thing is always so fun to jump in on)

...and some of my best friends are black,too.

SCARY

Not long enough
Hey,why do I have a a badge by my name now?

Am I the Deputy of Downhill or is it like a Dunce cap so I'm easier to keep an eye on?

If I'm getting promoted,I certainly am expecting more pay than what I've been getting....and non of this obamacare crap,I want some real healthcare benefits.Have you seen how much I wreck myself?!

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Dont do it. I ride a norco shinobi 29er140f/120r travel and more aggresive geometry than a trance x.
If you need reign x then a 29er will probably be disappointing. It will be faster almost everywhere, but you will miss the loss of travel (big wheels dont help on big hits, just chattery stuff) and the flexier wheels kinda sucks.
The bike you want is the new 27.5 trance sx.
If you can wait a year they will be second hand and there will be other options, you will be better off.

This sounds like a total slag, it isnt. I love my shinobi, but, like any bike it has its limits. Its fast, seriously fast. I can ride most anything on it but there is no substitute for travel when the rocks get bigger than baby heads. In the microwave sized stuff i have to back off. When its super steep - "Dont go up there without a dh bike and full face helmets" - the big wheels flex too much and get in the way when you are off the back.
Straight up, straight down type trails dont favour one wheel size over the other, in my experience, as much as you'd think. Rolling terrain where you hold more than 15-20mph the 29er rules. Roots, off camber, threading a narrow line the win goes to 29er, big stuff just means the most travel wins and really, really steep stuff the 26er wins.

If you were happy on a 5" travel 26er then it would be a different story, but its only the new crop of 27.5 stuff that has improved on current 150-160mm travel bikes.

All just my opinion of course, with only a first taste of 27.5, but plenty of 26 vs 29 time while riding like a downhiller.
Thanks..thats what I was wanting to hear...

I would basically be getting a bike for two or three trails and they arnt even the best trails around here...

..although the fastest guy in town does it all on big wheels..but he could prob do the same on 24s

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
What the hell!!?

Its a green dot now!

Is this some sort of prank? I just spent $120.00 on goddamn cowboy hat to match the badge.
Sonofabitch.
I think the assless chaps would be the focal point of your outfit.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I don't know why I can't let this go but... aren't all chaps assless?
Yeah I think so, but this just emphasizes the "assless" part. My gf is into horses and gets all pissy anytime she hears "assless chaps" because it's redundant and she's a grammar Nazi.

So I make sure to say it a lot..