Quantcast

Pleny lift in Morzine will be close this summer ....

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Authorities work hard to make normal riding on Pleney possible. They are trying to make chair lifts of La Crusaz and Mouilles accessible for bikers.
I hope will succeed :)
Me, and about 20 of my friends will spend 2 weeks from July 12th in Morzine. See you there, saruti ;)

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
The two lifts to the right of Pleney will be open.
On top of that, there's a bus service from Morzine to Les Gets...and the super Morzine lift will be open earlier in the season, open from earlier in the morning, and run faster too. There's also a new marked blue trail to take you from Les Gets to Morzine....

In other words, more options than ever before...bring on Summer!

Ps, please stay away...the lifts will be less crowded as a result :)

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
:)
thanks guys
you make me happy
We almost had a heart attack when we first heard about it. Follow the ride.io topic about it. Quite up to date with what's happening. Saruti when you are in Morz? Would be nice to meet this time.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
if I will get there this summer, it will be at the middle of July.
probably will stay as usual at chalet eira.
will be nice to see some faces :)

two years a go, me and some friend organized a race at one of the pleney single tracks.
it was nice.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
The two lifts to the right of Pleney will be open.
On top of that, there's a bus service from Morzine to Les Gets...and the super Morzine lift will be open earlier in the season, open from earlier in the morning, and run faster too. There's also a new marked blue trail to take you from Les Gets to Morzine....

In other words, more options than ever before...bring on Summer!

Ps, please stay away...the lifts will be less crowded as a result :)
Are you serious? These lifts have far less capacity than the gondola and are not prepared to take up bikers. Instead we will have to share them with hikers and bobsleigh riders. IN the thread on ride.io one guy reported that this resulted in waiting times of about one hour last time the gondola was closed.

I'm 2 months in champery but still it will make a trip to les gets shorter and I think it's not very pratical to ride on pleney with these chairlifts.

Good business strategy to rise the prices tho!

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Basically, write off all the sweet sweet unofficial tracks down the Pleney this summer. I'd be looking to stay in Chatel this year, but by a stroke of luck I've picked this year to go to the far east instead.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Basically, write off all the sweet sweet unofficial tracks down the Pleney this summer. I'd be looking to stay in Chatel this year, but by a stroke of luck I've picked this year to go to the far east instead.
The 1h wait will probably be only a problem in peak hours and weekends when the number of people riding pleney is the highest anyway. I remember some days/hours there were no people on the pleney lift and the unofficial tracks take some time to get to (some of them at least) so it's not as bad.

Not to mention isn't super morzine also filled with great unofficial tracks?

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
That's only true if they get the two chairlifts setup, which I don't believe is confirmed. Could always take an ENDURO bike and ride up though ;)

Supermorzine's got a few trails, the main line has been sanitized and ruined imo, but there are at least two other options...... that I always get lost trying to find :D

This is from Morzine Official 4 days ago:

morzineofficial - Member
MORZINE MOUNTAIN BIKING INFORMATION SUMMER 2013

You can find the following info on our official Tourism Office website : http://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/news.html#VTTETE13

The Pléney gondola will be replaced with new lift equipment for winter 2013/14. This key new lift will provide improved capacity and better access to the winter ski area and for summer Mountain Biking in Morzine . Ground level access to the top and bottom lift stations will make for quicker access and ease of use.

As we await the opening of this new lift, and due to the scale of the works involved, the Pléney gondola will be closed for the 2013 summer season.

To ensure MTB activities, the local councils and the lift companies of Morzine-Avoriaz and Les Gets, will put in place the following solutions:

• Early opening, from the 15th of June 2013, of the Super Morzine gondola and the “Zore” chairlift. From the 28th of June, an earlier opening time of 08:30am and a 50% increase in the flow-rate will ensure free-flowing traffic.
• A bus service adapted for carrying Mountain Bikes will be run daily between the resorts of Morzine and Les Gets from the 28th of June to the 1st of September 2013 (dates inclusive). This bus service will be reserved for those with a Portes du Soleil lift pass.
• The Mountain Bike tracks between the resorts of Morzine and Les Gets will be marked out, signposted and maintained.

Further steps are also being examined to safeguard Mountain Biking in the Pléney area, and improve the flow capacity of the lift links between Morzine and Les Gets, by way of the the “Crusaz” and “Mouilles” chairlifts. More information will follow on this subject as soon as possible.

Reminder of lift opening dates:
• Les Gets: Every weekend from the 25th of May and every day from the 15th of June to the
8th of September 2013.
• Morzine: Every day from the 15th of June to the 1st of September.
• Portes du Soleil: The lift links will open for the Pass’Portes du Soleil VTT, on the 28th of June, and will run until the 1st of September 2013; allowing access to the 23 lifts open this summer and linking the 12 resorts of the Franco-Swiss area.

Everyone involved in the resorts of Morzine-Avoriaz and Les Gets is working tirelessly to make sure that Mountain Biking, which is vital to our local tourist economy, goes ahead this summer.

All other infrastructure in the resort of Morzine will run as normal for the summer 2013 season:
• The “Crusaz” chairlift for pedestrians and summer toboggan.
• The “Pointe de Nyon” chairlift for pedestrians.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I've heard a rumor they want to open one more lift to Avoriaz. That could be a neat option though I'm not sure which they have in mind.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Do they have a fb-site for summer mtb-activities? I can only find one for winter stuff and they don't answer anything.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
That's only true if they get the two chairlifts setup, which I don't believe is confirmed. Could always take an ENDURO bike and ride up though ;)

Supermorzine's got a few trails, the main line has been sanitized and ruined imo, but there are at least two other options...... that I always get lost trying to find :D

This is from Morzine Official 4 days ago:
Further steps are also being examined to safeguard Mountain Biking in the Pléney area, and improve the flow capacity of the lift links between Morzine and Les Gets, by way of the the “Crusaz” and “Mouilles” chairlifts. More information will follow on this subject as soon as possible.
This is what I exactly meant.
It's not confirmed, but it's possible.
Moreover, as far as I understood, on hour queue was to cargo lift which goes along main Pleney lift, not Cruzas and Mouilles which have never been used as bikers transportation.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Pleney could do with a break from the brake-happy punters!

There's plenty of riding around these parts, don't go worrying yourselves too much.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
just to think about it... usually there are 20% at the super morzine lift and 80% at the pleney lift...
so this summer you will have to wait for the lift at the super morzine 5 times longer...........

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Well, not necessarily, be coz, they say it will start working earlier and ride faster, than usual.

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
Think this has been slightly blown out of proportion through various forums (esp. ride.io). Heading for the 4th time this summer for 3 weeks during July. It will be a shame to miss out on the tracks lower down pleney such as pedro's and atm further up, however super morzine has better riding on it. The full run of 'hattock' down through 'patotoe' is brilliant and is sure to see 2x traffic this summer. Hints of another mainline down super morzine has been mentioned and the glorious braking bumps will be sure to make an appearance come mid July.
As for Les Gets, to be honest is fairly over rated and come to or 3 runs ,on or off piste, is boring enough.
Fingers crossed there's more to ride up Super Morzine and they sort some que system of some sort.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
I dunno, I think it'll be a big loss for those staying in the 'zine. Usually I'll head off around the area, but at the end of a day's riding it's always good to be able to put in the few runs (off-piste, main line can kiss my plums) before heading to the beer. Also vital to have that lift if the weather's bad and/or it's looking risky to go far due to thunder/lightning.

It'll obviously be worth it in the long run though, that lift is wwaayyy overdue replacement.