Quantcast

Plotting axle path

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Is there a website or do one of you have software that lets you plot the axle path of frames? Out of curiosity I'd like to see the axle paths of some different single pivots vs DW vs VPP2.
Specifically:
Mojo HD or Firebird
Nomad2
Bullit
Scott Genius LT

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Okay, got the library open. It's kind of limited and is pre-2005 but it's a start.
There is a get from web button when you open library. You will have most of the current bikes. Have in mind that most of the modles are not exact. Though most are accurate enough to have a brief idea how it works.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
So I can't show you guys the graphs cuz the wizard programmers disable screenshot when looking at their program. Here's some things I learned:

Scott Genius LT and Yeti asr7 have the exact same pivot and geo. After getting used to my Scott I'll try to play with a Yeti. This should give me an idea of how the Scott's shock compares to a "normal" shock.

The Scott/Yeti have very similar axle paths and chain growth as the Mojo HD.

The Nomad has a more rearward path/more chain growth, very similar to the Bullit.

None of these bikes vary considerably.

As for leverage ratios, the bikes are all over the place. Bullit is very linear. Mojo HD falls then rises. Nomad and Yeti rise then fall, but to different extents.

Edit: Now I'm curious if the effect of brake torque can be graphed. I'll start a new thread for that.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So I can't show you guys the graphs cuz the wizard programmers disable screenshot when looking at their program. Here's some things I learned:

Scott Genius LT and Yeti asr7 have the exact same pivot and geo. After getting used to my Scott I'll try to play with a Yeti. This should give me an idea of how the Scott's shock compares to a "normal" shock.

The Scott/Yeti have very similar axle paths and chain growth as the Mojo HD.

The Nomad has a more rearward path/more chain growth, very similar to the Bullit.

None of these bikes vary considerably.

As for leverage ratios, the bikes are all over the place. Bullit is very linear. Mojo HD falls then rises. Nomad and Yeti rise then fall, but to different extents.

Edit: Now I'm curious if the effect of brake torque can be graphed. I'll start a new thread for that.
You're starting to notice the trend that much of the axle path characteristics for modern bikes are starting to fall in a very narrow window, but that the changes in feel and ride characteristics are determined by much more drastic changes in the leverage curves.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
I was expecting the axle paths to be about what they are. I'm surprised by the greatly differing leverage ratio curves, considering they all come with the same shocks (tuned differently of course).

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Axle paths, for the most part, don't vary significantly to the naked eye. However seriously minute differences in axle path make very noticeable differences to pedalling efficiency. That kind of stuff is all about fine-tuning.