Quantcast

plugging nose for warm up?

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
why does steve peat always have his nose plugged while spinning before his dh runs? Do other people do this, and what's the theory behind it?

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
first time I saw it, I thought he had a bloody nose, but he always has both nostrils plugged while he's spinning before a race. I was wondering what physiological effect breathing through only your mouth had on warming up. but boogers was very helpful, thanks.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I could be way off, but maybe he has something on there like Vick's Vapor rub to help clean out his airways so he can breathe clear(er).

Like I said, could be way off...just e-speculation at its best.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
I always wondered that.
theory 1
He could have some nasal breathing issues, so shutting off the nasal pathway for a while could encourage the body to use the mouth as an airway?
I guess just before he starts his run he takes them out and air travels through his mouth...

Thats my guess, maybe its totally stupid but, Im just guessing that his nasal airway, is blocked maybe on one side.,
I broke my nose a few times and I have trouble breathing through mine.

theory 2
Another thing is maybe he tries to slow down the amount of oxygen into his body, then the body will adapt and go into anerobic mode..... maybe it takes actually longer than 2 mins for your body to go into ananerobic mode,?
your body maybe takes a while to start making enzymes or hormones or whatever...?. if you get your body ready before you hit your run, wham... your body is ready to run low on oxygen? no bufffer period....
dont know its an idea...

also it could be just
Could be just vicks vapour stuff....

Last edited:

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Or it forces him to breathe through his mouth and get more volume of air moving back and forth to keep his blood O2 levels up

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I could be way off, but maybe he has something on there like Vick's Vapor rub to help clean out his airways so he can breathe clear(er).

Like I said, could be way off...just e-speculation at its best.
I always figured he was trying to get a "smelling salts" effect.....something to make him more alert, not sure what he is sniffing though....

Just like people with chronic breathing issues use purse lip breathing.........forcing all the air through your mouth will effectively make your red blood cells capacity to carry oxygen larger there by increasing your levels and allowing more sustained output.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have seen/read it all now.
I bet Peaty and Minaar cooked the whole thing up to see if it would become a topic on the intarwebz. I can imagine them sitting in the pits with a laptop now...

Minaar: "WHAT!? They took the bait on the nose tissue? Oh man!"

Peaty: "Ahhh what a bunch of wankers. Ok next I'm gonna dress up in a Toga, and sit on the trainer with these candles in me ears. Go get the webcam!"

:biggrin:

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
Im not sports scientist but It was always my understanding that breathing in through your nose was the most effective way of getting the most oxygen into your lungs. By means of the filters in your nasal cavity will filter out more of the unwanted air that you get from mouth inhalation, thus filling your lungs with a higher volume of oxygen once filled. I also read an article in Decline lastyear by Brian Lopes stating this as well. Perhaps plugging his nose and breathing in through the tissue is warming up his diaphragm, so that when he unplugs his nose for his run his breathing is strong and in control, Sort of like how a batter in baseball warms up with weights on his bat and removes them before stepping to the plate. Just my 2 cents.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
the one thing I read today that may make some sense deals with the body's fight or flight response. We are supposed to breath through our noses, but at times of stress, the body switches to the mouth breathing to maximize O2 intake, which triggers the nervous system to increase the heart rate, blood flow, and releases adrenaline. It sounds a little far-fetched, but forcing yourself to breath through your mouth could just be a way to warm up your repiratory system by increasing oxygen content and blood flow. The vapo-rub theory may be something as well.

Do any other sports do this? I'm seeing a lot of bikers do it now as the knowledge of training and sport science is increasing as competitive levels increase. But making fun of a valid physiological question seems to be cooler for some, while making fun of the internetz at the same time. Maybe I'll just critique thinner pedals next time.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Im not sports scientist but It was always my understanding that breathing in through your nose was the most effective way of getting the most oxygen into your lungs. By means of the filters in your nasal cavity will filter out more of the unwanted air that you get from mouth inhalation, thus filling your lungs with a higher volume of oxygen once filled. I also read an article in Decline lastyear by Brian Lopes stating this as well. Perhaps plugging his nose and breathing in through the tissue is warming up his diaphragm, so that when he unplugs his nose for his run his breathing is strong and in control, Sort of like how a batter in baseball warms up with weights on his bat and removes them before stepping to the plate. Just my 2 cents.
I was kind of thinking that while reading this thread too. Good thought. =]

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
yes but...

In the seasons vid, you see Peaty approach the starting gate at Mount St Anne with the tissues in his nose clearly visible. I dont know if thats his race or a training run but he still has them in.

forget that, he doesnt have them in when he finishes.

Maybe he gets nose pain from the cold air at altitude and its to stop the air getting into his sinuses and causing pain??

Last edited:

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
When i was at the jbl garden some guy came ripping though huffing like he was having a baby. Not sure if it was him, or if it's relevant, but he sure wasn't breathing through his nose.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
it most likely has to do something with controlling his breathing frequency. it's easier to hold your breath with your mouth only while your nose is blocked.

here's a sample of an article that talks about it http://www.springerlink.com/content/q1021v036163h576/fulltext.pdf?page=1

i remember when i was doing competitive swimming, i was taught to control the frequency of my breathing depending on the pace. when i was doing short sprinting distances, i'd breath only when i'm out of breath. when i was doing long distances, i'd breath after 3-5 strokes

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you're doing short sprints swimming, I was always taught to breathe when you're done. for a 50m, no breathing. 100m sprint, keep it under 5.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
If you're doing short sprints swimming, I was always taught to breathe when you're done. for a 50m, no breathing. 100m sprint, keep it under 5.
yeah i was taught to not breathe in 25m sprints. but for 50s i was taught to breathe as less as possible. i think in your case you were swimming at a higher level? i guess eventually with enough training, you'd be able to do 100s with less than 5 breaths

but i think the breathing frequency for swimming is more for stability and speed? the article that i posted discusses mainly about breathing frequency and its physiological effects for biking

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
eh it was just high school swim team. We had a few really great swimmers tho. One of the gals could do a 200 on like 5 breaths. When I was at my peak a 50 with no breaths was a piece of cake. I could do a 100 on 4, sometimes 3 breaths.

And yes, its about speed for swimming. Less breaths = less movement. Plus it sorta interrupts your stroke, no matter how hard you try.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
interesting article, but I'm a little confused as to the applications of it. If VO2 is unchanged but saturated O2 is decreased and CO2 was increased from limiting breaths, then when you unlimited the breaths, i.e. removed the nose plugs for the race, would your VO2 actually increase due to the prior compensation for reduced O2 and increased CO2 pressure? You would think that would give you a little boost if your body had compensated for less oxygen, and now it was given a lot of oxygen.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I would guess he is increasing his oxygen levels in his bloodstream, sort of like carb loading, get the tank topped off with O2 before you race. At that level of racing any small advantage that would let you take a few more pedal strokes would be worth it.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
You take a cotton ball (or whatever) and add a few drops of this peppermint/eucalyptus smelling liquid. It usually comes in a small blue bottle and is available in different "flavors". The you stuff it in your nostrils.

It works along the Vicks lines, opens up your sinuses and lets you breath deep. Great if you are congested.

I use it before races when it is cold or wet.

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
It's pretty simple.

It temporarily stretches out your nostrils so you can breathe more air through your nose after you take it out. Quit trying to make everything so difficult.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
Tom Boonen stuffs his nose on the road side too

-ska todd
that's funny. has any dh racer ever been tested positive, or how long have they been doing the random drug tests for the dh world cup? I never thought about it before, but it's come up in a few of the recap videos lately that dh riders are getting tested after the event.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
that's funny. has any dh racer ever been tested positive, or how long have they been doing the random drug tests for the dh world cup? I never thought about it before, but it's come up in a few of the recap videos lately that dh riders are getting tested after the event.
The UCI has always drug tested after downhill events for performance enhancing drugs. As far as I know, the only riders that have been busted were for recreational drugs, not performance enhancing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Pathetic. (and thats the only nice thing I have to say about that)
Whether you like it or not, the list of illegal drugs during competition is very clearly outlined in the rule book by both the UCI and national federations.

As a professional athlete, it is their responsibility to play by the rules, like it or not.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
The UCI has always drug tested after downhill events for performance enhancing drugs. As far as I know, the only riders that have been busted were for recreational drugs, not performance enhancing.
Someone in a major DH race did test positive, for a banned substance (not the wacky tobacky), but there was a monumental cover up/conspiracy with it and this person was allowed to keep their, uhmmm, thing they won.

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
if you watch him on seasons on his race run at mt. St ann he ran his race run with his nose plugged. On cold days I plug my nose to prevent my nose from running. I'm not sure why peaty dose it.