Quantcast

Plumbing Help/Advice Wanted

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Figured I better start a separate thread for this one rather than just my reference to it in the GMT.

One of the pipes (the elbow shaped one) has a couple of hairline cracks in it and needs to be replaced. Seems like it should be a simple fix, but I suck at stuff like this so I want to check with someone with experience.

Seems like what I need to do is turn off the water to the faucet, unscrew the cracked pipe, get a new one of the same size and shape and screw it on.

Questions are as follows:

1. Am I accurate in my assumptions?
2. Do I need a special plumbers wrench to unscrew the cracked pipe?
3. Do I need any special plumbers grease or tape to install the new pipe?
4. I can just take the old elbow shaped pipe to Loew's or Home Depot and match up the size for the new one right?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There are a lot of different types of plumbing out there so it will really depend on what you have.

If the pipes are plastic you don't really want to use a wrench on it, should be tightened by hand. Getting it off can be tough and a pipe wrench or a pair of channel locks help.

Most drain pipes use a plastic washer or gasket on a flared surface to make the seal, no tape or grease or whatever is required.

Unless this is a 100 year old cast iron sink drain Lowes will have what you need.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The elbow is also called a "trap" becuase it keeps water in it so the smell doesn't seep into the house.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yeah the "trap" has the leaks in it. the pipe is metal, not PVC. I should be able to unscrew it from both ends and pull it down and off right and then just get a new metal one to put in place of it correct?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
MMcG said:
Yeah the "trap" has the leaks in it. the pipe is metal, not PVC. I should be able to unscrew it from both ends and pull it down and off right and then just get a new metal one to put in place of it correct?
Indeed. I'd use some teflon plumbers tape on it to make sure it seals. Lowes should have what you need, and can give you full guidance.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
I was stressing the fact he might find a gold dabloon in there.:)
More likely he'll find a pile of schit though.

I didn't want to get the poor lad's hopes up.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
Indeed. I'd use some teflon plumbers tape on it to make sure it seals. Lowes should have what you need, and can give you full guidance.
I'd rather get plumbing help from a blind crak whore than a lowes/home depot employee.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
MMcG said:
Yep! I did this exact repair 2 weeks ago in my basement... I just took the trap parts to my local hardware store, and got perfect replacements. Make very sure that you take the gaskets (or remains thereof) as they will give you the seal you need... should cost you about $15 bones...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMcG said:
Yep, one end will have a flared connection the other will slide into the other pipe like a trombone and a compression connection will seal everything.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Nope no photos - discovered the leak this a.m. and we were both running late for work.

Sounds like Crashby hit the nail on the head with what we need to do to replace the trap pipe.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If anybody just started reading this site out of the blue... I wonder what they would think...

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
there's a chance that the leaks are coming from one of the connections upstream. These old metal ones have rubber gaskets in there and if you haven't ever replaced one, they could be pretty hard or rotted and gone. Depending on when your house was built and how standard the pipe entrance to the wall/drain system, you'll probably be better off buying an all new plastic trap kit. It has the flanges that you hand tighten and plastic sealing flanges instead of the rubber gaskets. I've spent countless hours trying to get old steel/brass traps back together since each piece was in various states of corrosion. I've just given up and go all new plastic now.
It's up to you how far up to the sink you want to replace things. There's a big rubber donut that seals the drain to the bottom of the sink and that could be the culprit too.
And no, for this you don't need to turn the water off unless you think you'll forget that the drain isn't in tact and try to wash your hands before going for a beer break but you will need a bucket. Channel lock pliers should work. Use a pipe wrench if they don't.

Good luck with help from the big box stores. I've had hit or miss there andmostly miss. Not sure where you are but Seattle area has Aurora Plumbing & Electric supply. All the people on staff at the counter are licensed electricians or plumbers and will spend as much time with you as you need.
Let us know how many trips to the store this one takes.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Qman said:
there's a chance that the leaks are coming from one of the connections upstream. These old metal ones have rubber gaskets in there and if you haven't ever replaced one, they could be pretty hard or rotted and gone. Depending on when your house was built and how standard the pipe entrance to the wall/drain system, you'll probably be better off buying an all new plastic trap kit. It has the flanges that you hand tighten and plastic sealing flanges instead of the rubber gaskets. I've spent countless hours trying to get old steel/brass traps back together since each piece was in various states of corrosion. I've just given up and go all new plastic now.
It's up to you how far up to the sink you want to replace things. There's a big rubber donut that seals the drain to the bottom of the sink and that could be the culprit too.
And no, for this you don't need to turn the water off unless you think you'll forget that the drain isn't in tact and try to wash your hands before going for a beer break but you will need a bucket. Channel lock pliers should work. Use a pipe wrench if they don't.

Good luck with help from the big box stores. I've had hit or miss there andmostly miss. Not sure where you are but Seattle area has Aurora Plumbing & Electric supply. All the people on staff at the counter are licensed electricians or plumbers and will spend as much time with you as you need.
Let us know how many trips to the store this one takes.

I can visually see the cracks in the Trap pipe and see the water flowing from said cracks - so I think for now that is all that needs replacing.

MBC - come on over and do the fix - we'll feed you and provide you with beer! :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
I can visually see the cracks in the Trap pipe and see the water flowing from said cracks - so I think for now that is all that needs replacing.

MBC - come on over and do the fix - we'll feed you and provide you with beer! :)
Dude, inviting a woman over to fix a sink trap for you is LAME' O!!!!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The plastic stuff is cheap. You could probably replace all of the pipe for under $20 bucks. I had to use a rubber gasket reducer($4???) to connect to the old cast iron pipes.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Wumpus said:
The plastic stuff is cheap. You could probably replace all of the pipe for under $20 bucks. I had to use a rubber gasket reducer($4???) to connect to the old cast iron pipes.
Rubber Gasket reducer? Huh? Come again?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I Are Baboon said:
"Dad's a plumber and he's into plumbing and, well, I guess you plumb, right dad?"
I'm not a plumber.
I'm a plumber's son,
I'll keep on plumbing pheasants
until the pheasant plumbings done?